Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hall signs with the Redskins

i reckon playing primarily in a zone coverage setup, that he'll go alright. And Skin DC Greg Blache has displayed some great schemes so far this year, such as the game against the Cowboys.

That's the key to this whole deal.

Hall's shortcomings can be covered up if he's playing in a good defense and one that is more suited to his style. Throw him on an island with a receiver and he is most likely to get beaten but if he is utilised in a predominantly zone defense he can be effective.

I hate the guy but he does still have talent. You can't lose it all overnight. If he actually dedicates himself to the cause, works hard and takes all the other BS out of the whole DeAngelo package he could be good for them.

Deangelo Hall. Oh! when i read the heading i thought Barry Hall signed on as a Linebacker or something.

interesting isnt it, shifty. even with the addition of a 34yo has been, the Jets secondary is still younger than the Patriots LB core.

Nickel and dime packages you would think. Even though Lowry is still raw, you wouldnt think they'd throw Law out onto the widest receiver............fact that stints at safety have been mooted must be a pointer to his speed. still, if he can impart some knowledge onto a young secondary it cant hurt.

thing that worries me is the destabilising effect this will have on the rest of the skinny kids on D. they'd be thinking, "the coaches dont have any faith in us."

Redskins QB

I would like to hear posters thoughts on Campbell, the Redskins QB.

I am a "newbie" but have been a Redskins follower for the past 20 years, but not a rabid fan. I usually get to watch the Superbowl, but no season games, because I can't be bothered (or afford) getting Foxtel. However, this year, bless 10HD they had the season games on and luckily I got to see quite a lot of Redskins games. Although in the second half of the season I wasn't so lucky seeing those games, they could barely beat the bottom teams.:eek:

I've looked at Campbell's stats, and whilst impressive in the first 8 games they dropped away after this. Is there a reason for this that I don't fathom, ie protection got worse or did he go through a rough patch? Is he worth persevering with for the Redskins franchise, or is he not the long term answer?

Thanks in advance for feedback.:thumbsu:

Re: Redskins QB

The Redskins drafted a bunch of young hyped up Wide Receivers, who all have busted so far. So the passing game has struggled. Jim Zorn, the HC, is a legendary figure, a former great QB, and has been involved as a coach in the Seahawks high-octane offense in the past. So he knows what he's doing.

Campbell was a bit slow to grasp the dynamics that Zorn taught, and there's also some internal debate about whether Campbell is the future of the team or Colt Brennan. Ive heard rumors that the Redskins are even saying things internally like "trade Campbell" etc. He's only young too.

Also, Zorn's coaching job is seemingly in question, after just one year. Mainly because their owner Dan Snyder is a loon. So, watch out for developing intrigue around the Campbell-Brennan thing, around Snyder's tolerance for Zorn, and on how their young corp of busting WRs are fairing thru 2009.

Will post tomorrow, but prepare for a gg barrage of the QB in waiting :p

Ha Ha, look forward to it, and your response as well.

Well he's no "Drew Brees" if that's what you're asking. :)

He's a solid QB, nothing more.

Yeah, that was my opinion, or mine was slightly harsher, but being a novice thought I'd ask more experienced viewers. Although the passing streak without an interception early in the year looks pretty impressive.

Bust WRs? Its a WR ffs, give em more time. No, where they fell through was their shitty FA signings, in regards to WR and every other position mostly (Save a few big ones)

Plus its the single most overrated position in football. A good QB makes any WR look decent enough. The same generally can't be said in reverse. Gotta remember that even though they may be the future, the young WRs will always be the 4th + option, behind Moss, Randle El (Shouldn't be) and Cooley, somtimes Betts and Cartwright. As well as that, I wouldn't exactly say the most recent draftees were suited particularly for the WCO

On that, its was a brand new system with yet another OC and QB coach for Campbell last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pfft well then they are bigger idiots than I thought, wanting something 'spec' from them in their first year. Especially when not given ample chance.

How would you know exactly what the Skins are 'internally acknowledging' anyway? Don't go sprouting bull plop gg ;)

Btw, often teams use these sorts of public statements to try to push those rookies to prove them wrong, or to pull their fingers out.

However, on the Campbell-Brennan thing, that's a live grenade. And part of the squabbling going on between Zorn and Snyder.
Snyder is almost as bad for the Skins as Davis is for the Raiders... Almost :p

Off the top of my head, trying to remember, basically the reports were something like this....

Redskins are concerned about their rookie WRs, feeling they are just not developing and likely to not develop. Or, specifically mentioning Devin Thomas on that.

And about Brennan-Campbell....something like, Zorn has said he wants Brennan to not get any game time till 2010, but there are internal concerns that Campbell is just not suitable to the Zorn WCO and that they may well look to trade Campbell and go with the more talented Brennan.

SOMETHING like that off the top of my head. Cant remember the details or word for word, cos it was a while back.

The Redskins drafted a bunch of young hyped up Wide Receivers, who all have busted so far. So the passing game has struggled. Jim Zorn, the HC, is a legendary figure, a former great QB, and has been involved as a coach in the Seahawks high-octane offense in the past. So he knows what he's doing.

Campbell was a bit slow to grasp the dynamics that Zorn taught, and there's also some internal debate about whether Campbell is the future of the team or Colt Brennan. Ive heard rumors that the Redskins are even saying things internally like "trade Campbell" etc. He's only young too.

Also, Zorn's coaching job is seemingly in question, after just one year. Mainly because their owner Dan Snyder is a loon. So, watch out for developing intrigue around the Campbell-Brennan thing, around Snyder's tolerance for Zorn, and on how their young corp of busting WRs are fairing thru 2009.

Yes, I was reading on redskins.com an evaluation of positions and the first one seems to be the QBs. It talks a fair bit about Brennan and how Zorn has been adjusting his throwing style, from the sidearm to a high release, I presume to reduce risk of knocking down of passes? Anyway, got the impression that Brennan was highly regarded.

So you're saying there's not much light at the 2009/10 season tunnel? Do I need to start watching another team? :D

No, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Redskins are always a good team. They're an NFC East team. That division never really has a bad team in it in any season. Redskins will always remain competitive. Not fall to the depths of a Lions or Raiders. So no need to look for a new team regardless who is QB or HC.

Imo tho, watch for Brennan to be the future there eventually. 1-2 years tops.

As for the sidearm thing, that's the general attitude. Sidearmers have trouble. Especially as youre trying to throw over the OL and DL who are all about 6'3" to 6'9" before they raise arms to knock passes down.

However, Bernie Kosar, one of the all-time great QBs was a strict sidearmer.

But, if you watch a lot of football, you'll actually see that all QBs have to learn how to throw all different types of passes and angles....overhand, sidearm, half-sidearm, underarm, etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back