Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Washington Football Team will unveil new name and logo in early 2022

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2021, 4:22 PM EDT

The Washington Football Team will continue to be known as the Washington Football Team through the 2021 season, and then a new name and logo are coming in 2022.

Washington Football Team President Jason Wright told Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post that a new name and logo will be revealed in early 2022.

The team’s colors, which have been burgundy and gold throughout franchise history, will remain in place.
Washington has hired a branding organization that is helping it determine the right name and logo, and is conducting surveys and focus groups of fans in the effort.

from 2006, wow...

Patriot Games

by DAVE MCKENNA
SEPTEMBER 22ND, 2006

Redskins put a price tag on commemorating 9/11.

The horrors of 9/11 had already been used by power brokers around these parts to sell wars and incursions on basic liberties.

So why not some hats?

On the day’s fifth anniversary, a few hours before the Redskins’ season opener, ads appeared on Dan Snyder’s new media plaything, the Triple X ESPN Radio network, imploring fans to get their special baseball caps for Monday night’s game with Minnesota. These hats would “commemorate Sept. 11,” said the spots, and they could only be ordered via the Redskins’ official Web site.

On the front page of the team’s site was a picture of the sacred cap, called a Pentagon Flag Hat, a black hat with the team’s trademark curly “R” in gold with a patch in the shape of the Pentagon and the colors of the American flag sewn on the side.

If the pull of a 9/11 tribute wasn’t enough, fans were told in the Web-site copy that the caps are “expected to be worn by the Redskins coaches” during the Vikings contest. Anybody who wanted to commemorate the deaths of 3,000 or so with a Skins hat would only have to pay $23.99.

That means the commemorative cap was a tad pricier than the You Can’t Handle the Skins Tee or the We Love Our Coach Tee, products featured alongside the 9/11 garment in the online catalog, which both go for $19.99.

There’s no mention anywhere on the site that even a single penny of the Flag Hat’s $23.99 would go anywhere but into Snyder’s pocket.

“Pre-order now!” the copy implored.

Snyder’s waved the flag before. Flyovers of bombers and jet fighters are common at FedExField. America Supports You, a Pentagon public-relations campaign to build affection for the war machine, is a big advertiser on Snyder’s radio network. And Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, took time out from overseeing this country’s war successes to be in the owner’s box for the Vikings game.

But the hawking of the Pentagon Flag Hat puts those efforts to shame.

Coming from anywhere but Redskins Park, this sort of financial exploitation of the biggest tragedy in American history—“Pre-order now!”—would cause jaws to drop. Around here, it’s just business as usual. The team dropped the “commemorate Sept. 11” verbiage from its Web site after two days, but the hats were still for sale.

Welcome to another year of the Dan Snyder Marketing Plan. The caps are evidence of the tenacious scheme responsible for putting the Redskins, with a value of more than $1.4 billion, atop Forbes’ recent list of the most profitable franchises in sports. None of the other NFL teams from other 9/11 death sites—Giants, Jets, and Steelers—put commemorative products for sale during the opening week of the 2006 season.

Redskins spokesperson Karl Swanson says the commemorative cap was put up for sale because the team sold a similar hat shortly after the 9/11 attacks. The sales five years ago, Swanson says, were used to “raise money for the survivors fund.”

If, as the adage says, patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, maybe the unveiling of the diabolical commemorative Pentagon Flag Hat shows that Snyder is running out of ways to gouge the populace.

Then again, maybe not. Jim O’Brien, a 30-year Skins season-ticket holder, says he didn’t think he could despise the current ownership more—not after watching his end-zone row get more cramped during Snyder’s incessant expansions of the stadium, or finding it harder and harder to get in and out of the stadium with all the corporate tents blocking more of the Everyman entrances and exits with each season.

But at the Vikings game, his awe and loathing of Skins management were renewed during a trip to the stadium’s concession stand. It all started when he ordered a bag of peanuts. The 5-ounce bag wasn’t in burgundy and gold but royal blue and white.

“I see this big logo on the bag for Independence Air,” says O’Brien. “And I’m thinking, Aren’t they out of business?”

He went home and did some Googling and discovered that, yes, indeed, the airline is out of business: Independence Air began hinting at bankruptcy in 2005 and flew its last flight on Jan. 5, 2006. According to the bags for sale at FedExField, the peanuts were packaged for the Redskins by a Charlotte, N.C., company called Strategic Presence.

Ed McLamb, who heads the firm, says that his company used to provide peanuts for Independence Air and for the Redskins, in Independence Air bags.

“We haven’t done that since a little before Independence Air went out of business, though,” he says.

The Redskins have had peanut problems before. Three seasons ago, the team deviated from a tradition as old as sports when it stopped selling peanuts in shells. At the time, Redskins officials tried to calm angry fans by saying the move wasn’t made to reduce the cleanup budget but was meant to prevent fans with peanut allergies from being affected by stray peanut pieces.

O’Brien was among those angered when the shells disappeared, but the ’Net searching really left him peeved.

“You gotta figure they didn’t place a peanut order for a couple weeks before the company went out of business,” he says. “So the Redskins are selling nuts that weren’t even made this year. Unbelievable.”

Nut experts say that’s a little long in the tooth for salted, roasted legumes. Patrick Archer of the Peanut Council, an advocacy group for the American peanut industry, says that the recommended shelf life of a foil bag of peanuts is “about three months.”

“Beyond three months, they gradually start losing their flavor,” Archer says, “and eventually start turning rancid.”

Swanson says the team’s food-service business is outsourced to a company called Centerplate Inc. In a prepared statement issued through the Redskins, Centerplate spokesperson Gael Doar writes that the Independence Air peanut inventory was purchased in November 2005. Doar adds that the suggested shelf life for the products was one year and that the company nevertheless “believed that we had disposed of all of the cases of peanuts with this Independence Air logo.”

“We regret that this occurred,” Doar wrote about the sale of the long-dead airline’s nuts, “we are currently investigating the situation and we are confident that it won’t happen again.”—Dave McKenna

Ryan Fitzpatrick: This is the best situation I’ve ever had as ‘the guy’

Posted by Charean Williams on July 19, 2021, 7:28 PM EDT

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started 146 career games, and he has played for eight teams.

The quarterback this season is the unquestioned starter for his ninth team, and Fitzpatrick rates Washington as the best opportunity he has had in his now 17-year career.

“This is the best situation I’ve ever been in or the best situation that I’ve ever gone into as the guy,” Fitzpatrick said during an appearance on the ESPN Daily podcast, via NFL Media. “I signed to be the starter in Houston. I signed to be the starter in Miami, so this is now the third team that I’ve signed to come in and be the starter for. I just feel like the way that I’m playing the last four years, kind of the progression of my career, it doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense that 17 years in, physically, I feel great, mentally, emotionally. I’m in the right spot. I just think I am set up for success this year and really looking forward to it.”

Fitzpatrick, 38, was with the Rams, who drafted him in the seventh round, for two years, with the Bengals for two years, with the Bills for four years, with the Titans for one year, with the Texans for one year, with the Jets for two years, with the Bucs for two years and with the Dolphins for two years.
He is embracing whatever time he has left playing the game he (almost always) loves.

“The other major point in my career when there was a transition was after my year in 2016 with the Jets, which was miserable and the first time in my life I hated football and just didn’t want to play anymore,” Fitzpatrick said. “Since then, it’s almost like I’ve been playing on borrowed time. The last four, I’ve really been able to enjoy. Hopefully everybody has been able to see that for me on the field, from some of the goofy stuff and the interviews. My personality has really come out the last four.”

Washington re-signed DT Jonathan Allen to a four-year, $72 million contract extension.
The deal includes a $30 million signing bonus. The No. 17 overall pick of the 2017 draft, Allen has registered 16 sacks over the past three seasons, being locked up mere hours ahead of training camp. A multiple-time team captain and nominee among Washington's roster for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award, the 26-year-old has clearly made a significant impact both on and off the field. His $18 million annually is in line with the rest of the league's top interior players and will keep him in Washington through the 2024 season.
SOURCE: Team IFA on Twitter
Jul 26, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

Washington signed TE Logan Thomas to a three-year contract extension.
The quarterback turned tight end was third in tight end receptions (72) last year and seventh in yards (670), scoring six of the Football Team's 16 receiving touchdowns. Thomas, 30, enters 2021 again with little competition for tight end snaps, routes, or targets, and a marked QB upgrade in Ryan Fitzpatrick. His size (6'6" and 250 pounds) makes him the team's best red zone threat and a middle-of-the-field mismatch, as he was in 2020. Thomas, being drafted as the ninth tight end off the draft board, could be a nice value if Washington's improved QB play leads to a more efficient season for the tight end.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Jul 27, 2021, 8:53 AM ET

The Washington Post reports third-round WR Dyami Brown has been featuring in the slot during the Washington Football Team's training camp.
It could be as simple as the Football Team wanting Brown to get some early reps at a position he rarely played in college, but it also comes amidst reports Curtis Samuel might stick on the outside in Washington. It's hard to say with 100 percent certainty what is going on since Samuel is currently on the PUP list. Adam Humphries is also an option in the slot and has extensive experience with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Brown was an absolute game breaker on the outside in the ACC. It would seemingly be unwise to stick him in the middle of the field full time, but increased versatility is never a bad thing.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Jul 29, 2021, 10:58 PM ET

This year the podcast/coverage is a little different, and while the audio-only podcast is still (by farrrr) the largest way people are engaging with the content, we actually do videos for each episode too.

Here's today's - would love it if Washington fans here could show us some love and subscribe on YouTube or follow 'The Washington Wrap' on Instagram or Facebook, too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm telling ya it's gonna b the Redwolves. Look at those fans asked in the video to react to various names, they all loved Redwolves.

nfl claiming ad revenue on that, they are out of control!

Team president Jason Wright told The Washington Post earlier in training camp that the team had narrowed the list of possible new names. On Monday, in the team’s latest episode of “Making the Brand,” a web video series designed to give fans an inside look at its rebranding process, it was revealed that the list is down to three unidentified candidates.

St-Juste also has progressed, and he had the best play of practice Monday. The rookie cornerback picked off a deep pass from Fitzpatrick intended for Terry McLaurin in the end zone. St-Juste arched back to grab the ball one-handed, and he maintained control as he fell to the ground.
“I think he is just scratching the surface because of his skill set and because of his length and size,” Rivera said. “I was fortunate to be around Charles Tillman early in his career and then later in his career, but a lot of his early skills, I see a little bit of that in Benjamin.”

y
Scott Allen
July 14, 2020

Ron Sutherland isn’t much of a football fan, but he has an interest in what Washington’s NFL team chooses as a replacement for its soon-to-be-retired name. The franchise’s decision could affect the future of an endangered species he has spent a decade of his career studying.

A chief scientist at the nonprofit Wildlands Network in Durham, N.C., Sutherland is among those in favor of Red Wolves, which has been endorsed by a segment of the team’s fan base. The red wolf is on the brink of going extinct in the wild for a second time, and Sutherland suggested the exposure that would come with an NFL team naming itself after the animal could only help its chance of survival.
“It would mean a lot of the country would suddenly hear something about the story of this animal, and that’s what the red wolf needs,” Sutherland said in a phone interview. “You’ve got this incredibly dire conservation going on right now, and people don’t even know about it. I think it would bring recognition to the red wolf.”

Red wolves were once found from Texas to Florida, throughout the southeast and up to New York, so it’s likely they once roamed the D.C. area. They were wiped out along the Atlantic Coast around 1900 but survived along the Gulf Coast and were designated an endangered species in 1967. In the late 1970s, as the animals increasingly bred with coyotes, Fish and Wildlife officials captured the last remaining purebred red wolves in Texas and Louisiana and placed them in zoos in an attempt to revive the species.
“This is one of the critically endangered mammal species on the entire planet,” said Sutherland, who has been a vocal advocate for red wolf conservation since 2010. “The amazing thing is that a lot of Americans have no idea that this species is even in our backyard.”

Redwolves is the best, also unique in the NFL and most sport (wolves). Strong and has ties to region. Also helps raise awareness to the plight of the species.

If its not that, i would only be okay with WFT, as thats really unique, and not divisive, other names will have many liking and hating the choice.

Redhogs shouldve been just Hogs.

The rest of them are too lame, generic.

Yeah, sure sure Mr Wright....

Washington president says they haven’t identified a list of eight potential names

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2021, 10:12 AM EDT

The Washington Football team will pick a new name in 2022. Recently, speculation has emerged that the team has narrowed the list to eight options, thanks to a “Making the Brand” video created by the organization.

Not so, says team president Jason Wright.

Wright confirmed that the team is working toward selecting three final choices. Wright explained that the eight names shown in the video are “just a selection of names that happened to show up” in the segment.

The eight names that made it into the video are Armada, Brigade, Commanders, Defenders, Presidents, RedHogs, RedWolves, and Washington Football Team.

Although most assume that WFT won’t be the next name, what if they have a special season in 2021. (They definitely could.) A serious run at the Super Bowl, or at a minimum their first appearance in the conference championship since 1991, could be enough to cement WFT as the team name.

By
Barry Svrluga
Sports columnist
Today at 4:28 p.m. EDT

It is hard to live this way, and I admit it. Sam Cosmi is a rookie right tackle, and he is very important to the Washington Football Team’s success this season and beyond. Jamin Davis is the first-round pick, a fleet-footed linebacker, and he could strengthen an already stout defense. William Jackson III is a cornerback who will face his former Cincinnati teammates Friday night, and his adjustment to playing in a zone scheme will deeply affect how Washington fares against the pass this season.

So why do I keep coming back to: Who is the quarterback?
Not just, “Who is the quarterback Friday night in a preseason game against the Bengals?” Or just, “Who is the quarterback Week 1 against the Los Angeles Chargers?” Step back further, and you will get to what nags me, today and tomorrow and forever and ever amen. “Who is the quarterback in Week 1 of 2022?” And, “Who is the quarterback when and if this team is ready to get to — don’t laugh — an NFC championship game?”

This is as tiring as it is narrow-minded. I get that. There’s so much to find interesting about this team. Chase Young really could be a generational talent as a pass rusher. Free agent signee Curtis Samuel and rookie Dyami Brown may be the downfield threats at wideout to further open things up for star-in-the-making Terry McLaurin. Antonio Gibson might catch 70 balls out of the …

Wait. It’s still between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke at quarterback?
It is, and Friday night at FedEx Field, throw Kyle Allen into the mix, too.
It’s fine to be happy with either Fitzpatrick or Heinicke as the starter against the Chargers. Fitzpatrick is about to enter his 17th year in the league, and dang if he isn’t entertaining, both with his mouth and his downfield slings. He shares the fan base’s assessment of the team around him, and he pledges to be part of the solution, not the problem.
“I think it’s a group that’s ascending,” he told reporters this week. “I mean, everybody’s heading in the right direction. I think there’s some momentum coming off last year. Just speaking about the offense, the offense is going to be dynamic. … It’s not going to be focused on one guy trying to force-feed him the ball.”

Someone who has played in 165 NFL games gets to analyze in that fashion and have the words matter. He’s worth listening to. He’s worth wondering about. He’s worth watching Friday night because the 2021 season almost certainly will be in his hands. He’s someone about whom Coach Ron Rivera can say, “We talk about the things that he does, and everybody says, ‘Yeah, he’s been doing it a long time.’ ”
But a couple of things gnaw at the conscience even before Fitzpatrick becomes the 24th regular season starter for Washington this century. The first is that he’s 38, and so next August, before the second preseason game of what probably will be another promising season, we will be having this discussion — “Who’s the quarterback?” — all over again. The other is, as Rivera said, “the things that he does,” which in Fitzpatrick’s case happens to be throw interceptions.
Since 2016, Fitzpatrick has played in 52 games and thrown at least two interceptions in 15 of them. According to pro-football-reference.com, only two quarterbacks over those five seasons — Jameis Winston and Philip Rivers — have more multi-pick games. Rivers had more than 1,200 more pass attempts than Fitzpatrick and is now retired. Winston played in eight more games and put it up 443 more times than Fitzpatrick. He became a backup. Fitzpatrick gets picked off and chugs forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back