Discussion Washington Rebrand (NFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12451730

After a “thorough review” Washington has announced they are immediately dropping the Redskins moniker and associated logo. Reports are that major sponsors informed the team to change the name given the climate we find ourselves in (but long overdue if you ask me).

Will be intriguing to see if they go a full rebrand, or pull a Lady A and just shorten to ‘Washington R’s’.

I saw a Washington Redwings concept that looked good, it kept the colours and the team was named after the Redwing plane. If anyone could find it that would be great but yeah, keeps the same sound while losing the racial connotations.

I saw a Washington Redwings concept that looked good, it kept the colours and the team was named after the Redwing plane. If anyone could find it that would be great but yeah, keeps the same sound while losing the racial connotations.

Doubt it will be that, the Detroit Red Wings will have serious issues with that.

Yeah I quite like the Reds name idea. I've heard the name Warriors been thrown around a bit, would be a bit cringe if they went that way considering there already is a big market sports team with the name. I'm aware there are already the Cincinnati Reds but they really aren't as big as GSW.

They could just go back to their 70s helmet design, maybe drop the feathers and inverse the colours and that's mint. No real need for a jersey change, it's already fire.
1594693518359.png

Do you mean the Redtails concept? I thought that was pretty cool too.

EcxiU3PXsAU7i9S

Yeah I quite like the Reds name idea. I've heard the name Warriors been thrown around a bit, would be a bit cringe if they went that way considering there already is a big market sports team with the name. I'm aware there are already the Cincinnati Reds but they really aren't as big as GSW.

They could just go back to their 70s helmet design, maybe drop the feathers and inverse the colours and that's mint. No real need for a jersey change, it's already fire.
View attachment 912058
They said that they will be removing all Native American imagery, so I doubt they would have feathers on it like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing for Washington to do is to change the name, but not everything about the club. The Redskins name is linked to Indians, so calling yourself that is out. However, you would have are large group of fans that would have alot of Indian based supporter gear. The new name should not get rid of the material for supporters immediately. A name that can change with the image of the club. The name Warriors can change with the image of the club. You can start out with the image of the Indian Warriors, and use a former helmet of the club with the spear on it. Then you can change the image of the club, it could go to the army, historical warriors or any other warriors. The image that I present here is a for the time being logo, with the move to other Warriors to come later on.

6Tw6m2l.jpg

However, as said on a previous response that they will removing all Native American imagery. The club could move with its Letter R logo, but not standing for Redskins anymore, how about the Washington Renegads. It would use the R logo which the club is know for, which can go on the helmets.

The Warriors name I say is the best because it keeps some of the past with the future of the club. It also has room to move in the image of the club. What sort of Warriors are they, that can change as the image of the club changes. Using the R logo would limit the club in what they can do with the future image of the club. As this will be seen as a link to the past of the club, fans will not let it go from the Helmet.

you would have are large group of fans that would have alot of Indian based supporter gear. The new name should not get rid of the material for supporters immediately.
This is why I think they will move completely away from a Native American identity. Their thinking might be if they are going to lose their name, they may as well cash in on a whole new set of merchandise that fans have to go out and buy.

They'll have to cut all ties to the Redskins and native american theme, no more feathers, spears etc. I would imagine the logo would be completely new and not resemble the old one in any way, shape or form, just in case.

This has been going around the internet as a not very serious idea
1594729748123.png

Onto more serious business, apparently some guy from Virginia in the US has already registered quite a few of the proposed names including some that have already been mentioned on this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back