Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

CSN Washington expects the Redskins to move on from DeSean Jackson after this season.

Jackson hasn’t played since Week 1 with his hamstring injury. He also missed longer than expected with a shoulder sprain in training camp. GM Scot McCloughan wasn’t part of the regime that signed Jackson and reportedly has concerns with keeping him given his durability issues. Washington would save $6.75 million by releasing Jackson next offseason.

Source: CSN Washington

Well GG.exe who would have thought the Redskins could win the Div? :confused: I know you and I discussed Cousins a couple of years ago and thought he might turn out OK, but I had us pegged as bottom 4. Still, it was great watching them on Fox for the first time. Got fox Christmas eve and have watched that much NBA and College football.... :D

Loved the post match press conferences on Fox sports central as well.

Well GG.exe who would have thought the Redskins could win the Div? :confused: I know you and I discussed Cousins a couple of years ago and thought he might turn out OK, but I had us pegged as bottom 4. Still, it was great watching them on Fox for the first time. Got fox Christmas eve and have watched that much NBA and College football.... :D

How the * did that happen?

The only reason we're in is Tony Romo did his shoulder

I think typically like today philly just ballsed it up, in general our division just were s**t.

I actually thought theyd win the division this year, due to your new GM

How the **** did that happen?

The only reason we're in is Tony Romo did his shoulder

I think typically like today philly just ballsed it up, in general our division just were s**t.

In general the NFC East is a very tough, and competitive division. We've gone back to defending well, not quite like the old hogs, but better. Our offense, with Reed back in it has looked so much better as well.

I actually thought theyd win the division this year, due to your new GM
You have more knowledge than me, but I didn't think we'd get near the division. McCloughan, I had heard he was well respected, but when that incident with his wife and that reporter blew up, I thought, holy hell, here we go. McVay is being given a very large part of the credit, but I knew absolutely nothing about him until today's telecast.

In general the NFC East is a very tough, and competitive division. We've gone back to defending well, not quite like the old hogs, but better. Our offense, with Reed back in it has looked so much better as well.

You have more knowledge than me, but I didn't think we'd get near the division. McCloughan, I had heard he was well respected, but when that incident with his wife and that reporter blew up, I thought, holy hell, here we go. McVay is being given a very large part of the credit, but I knew absolutely nothing about him until today's telecast.
Likewise i didnt really know about McVay. I just know your GM is a gun. So likely everything under him would be a well-oiled machine. Hence RG3 booted, cousins installed, lockerroom unity, no dysfunction. you guys are talented on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, the only reason Skins won the division was because Romo has been injured.
I reckon we might have beaten Dallas by more if Romo was in... :)

Seriously, I expected us to finish where Dallas is, with a top 4 draft pick

OK, so what do people reckon we need most in the draft? Secondary seems fairly obvious to me.

Corner and Safety are glaring holes, but I'm reasonably confident that we'll make the right moves in Free Agency and the draft.

I'm not sure how hard we'll go in Free Agency as I feel we'll probably focus on keeping our contributors (although McCloughan might be more keen on having his type of guys) so the draft will be important. Our last draft turned out to be OK this year with solid contributions from our first four picks and I'm thinking (hoping) it will be more of the same next draft.

Credit too to RG3 this season. He took his demotion like a man, there were no rumblings or negative press releases about him or those ahead of him (that seemed to plague the Shanahan era) and while I've lost faith in him as an NFL QB I hope he gets another crack.

Seems to be a lot of buzz about the Vernon Davis signing. Local boy coming home. Ties to Scot McCloughan. Expectations are low given his past couple of years, so if we can get the best out of him (if there's any of that left) then it's a bonus. The signing also probably sees Niles Paul spend more time at FB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competition never hurt anyone.

“People forget quick and it’s up to me,” Paul said. “I understand that it’s a business…I have full intentions of making people remember the type of player I am. I wasn’t named a starter last year for no reason…my mentality every year is that I want to be the starter every year, and that’s just facts. If you’re a player and you come here and you don’t think you can be a starter or you don’t want to be a starter, this isn’t the league for you.”

It’s evident that Paul carries a lot of pride, but he’s also not stubborn.

ChLWL4dWYAAN94u.jpg

I suspected at some point we'd be picking a WR in this draft giving the rumblings that Garcon is likely playing his last season in DC and the injury to D-Jax hurt us last season, but I wasn't expecting it to be in the 1st round. I was convinced we'd be focusing on one of the lines in the first round.

That being said, it looks like Doctson is a talent who runs good routes and isn't afraid to go up for the ball, but needs to bulk up.

Fortunately there's a lot of defensive (especially line) talent in the 2nd round so I think we start loading up on D from the 2nd round onwards.

So what do people think of the Norman signing? Watching SportsCentre earlier this week they say that the Skins have overpaid, but think it's a good signing.
Like the Doctson drafting, hope he develops into the player he looks like he can.

So what do people think of the Norman signing? Watching SportsCentre earlier this week they say that the Skins have overpaid, but think it's a good signing.
Like the Doctson drafting, hope he develops into the player he looks like he can.
I share that sentiment. I reckon we paid overs for him, but he's going to step in straight away and he improves our secondary, where we were really exposed last season. The Panthers ran a similar pass defense to what we do so the transition shouldn't be too difficult and hopefully it pays dividends.

Thoughts on our draft class?

I've shared my thoughts on Doctson, but he didn't pick a number in the 80s so he loses points from me :p

Cravens people had pegged as an OLB, but I see we've listed him as a Safety. He idolised Sean Taylor and it's nice he picked up Taylors rookie number. Sounds like he has a football brain and is a good player. If the Redskins can find a role for him he should be a big asset.

Fuller seems like a bit of a steal if his knees are OK following his injury. His aggression and ball instincts look like a good fit in our pass defense. Willing to tackle and get involved, should be a much needed addition to our secondary.

Ioannidis appears suited to our 3-4, but needs a bit of work. That being said he looks like he's a big lump of a fella who should clog the middle with time.

Nate Sudfeld is somebody I picked for us in the Mock Draft here. He needs work, but has size and appears somebody who Gruden would to develop.

Steven Daniels is another fit for a 3-4 defense and another player who plays above his abilities. Could be limited against the pass from all reports.

Keith Marshall was apparently a gun before blowing out his knee. Doesn't appear to have recovered fully from the injury and has a lot of question marks, but has a lot of upside and we do need depth at RB as I'm not sold on Jones as the guy.

I think we've made some good picks just on pre-draft commentary. Bring on training camp!

Tagging GG.exe in this one.

The Washington Post has been the major media outlet leading the charge for making the Redskins change their name (WaPo seemingly hates the Redskins for some reason).

Which is why this news is fascinating;

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April 2016, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name.

Even as the name-change movement gained momentum among influential people, The Post’s survey and more than two dozen subsequent interviews make clear that the effort failed to have anywhere near the same impact on Indians.

Across every demographic group, the vast majority of Native Americans say the team’s name does not offend them, including 80 percent who identify as politically liberal, 85 percent of college graduates, 90 percent of those enrolled in a tribe, 90 percent of non-football fans and 91 percent of those between the ages of 18 and 39.

Even 9 in 10 of those who have heard a great deal about the controversy say they are not bothered by the name.

What makes those attitudes more striking: The general public appears to object more strongly to the name than Indians do.

In short; it's not up to white people to tell Native Americans what they are and aren't offended by.

It seems to be a disease that affects white people only. This need to be seen by others as not having an agenda while having an agenda.

" we should do something for those poor oppressed people so they don't feel so oppressed"

Thanks for highlighting this article.

More criticism appears regarding Washington Post poll
Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2016, 2:05 PM EDT
redskins_rchlfek5_glarnxi5-e1446652990785.jpg
Getty Images
Last Thursday, the Washington Post published a poll of 504 self-identifying Native American adults, 90 percent of whom said they aren’t bothered by the name of the local NFL team. Although some supporters of the name continue to insist that this means any lingering opposition to the name comes only from white liberal journalists, multiple Native American voices have criticized the poll.

The National Congress of American Indians has called it irrelevant, and the Native American Journalists Association has questioned whether ongoing use of a dictionary-defined slur should be the subject of public opinion, regardless of the outcome. Now, the co-founder of Eradicating Offensive Native Mascotry has challenged both the methodology of the poll and the decision to conduct it.

In an item appearing at TheNation.com, Jacqueline Keeler explores the flaws in the polling process, from failure to verify that the self-identifying Native Americans are indeed Native American to skewing the group polled in a way that does not properly reflect demographics like gender and age to using a geographic distribution that fails to properly represent the Native American community.

“Even if the poll was conducted perfectly and even if the results had been completely reversed,” Keeler writes, “the Washington Post did a grave disservice by utterly ignoring studies that clearly demonstrate the harm mascotting causes to Native youth — the most vulnerable population in the country by almost any statistic.”

Keeler explains that Native American youth “suffer measurably lower self-esteem after exposure to a Native American mascot,” and that those Native Americans who claim to have no issue with terms like the name of the Washington team “actually experience a greater drop in self-esteem.”

Via Keeler, Scott Clement of the Post responded to the criticism from groups like the NAJA by pointing out that the newspaper “pursued this poll without any idea as to how it would turn out and had no vested interest in the outcome.” Clement also defended the poll by explaining that “it’s entirely appropriate for a news organization to conduct a survey to test any assertions made about the breadth and depth of offense among Native Americans” by those who oppose the name, adding that it is “customary for any other public policy issue.”

“But is this really customary?” Keeler asks. “Are pollsters judging the ‘breadth and depth’ of how offensive other dictionary-defined slurs are? Tragically, it is only Native Americans who have to suffer this kind of humiliation, especially when the multibillion-dollar brand of the paper’s local football team hangs in the balance.”

And so the Post poll definitely won’t end the debate, even though many supporters of the name believe it should. If anything, the criticism of the poll should spark a meaningful debate over whether it’s proper to make any dictionary-defined slur the subject of polling or debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back