Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

If its a rebuild then fine but not under Gruden is my hope
Absolutely. I think Gruden has shown enough over five seasons that he isn't the guy (which is why the possible injury excuse concerns me) - as much as it sucks, we need to clean house (again).

dont think he shouldve apologized, he was right :cool:

---------------------

Mason Foster seeks forgiveness, says social media vent not how he feels
Posted by Charean Williams on December 14, 2018, 7:15 PM EST
GettyImages-1071244794-1-e1544832940873.jpg

Getty Images

Washington linebacker Mason Foster talked publicly for the first time since his Instagram account posted profane messages as well as a homophobic slur. Foster admitted writing “F— this team and this fan base,” which was intended as a private message.

He said he didn’t mean it, apologizing to his teammates and to fans of the team.

I feel bad about it,” Foster said, via NBC Sports Washington. “My teammates know that’s not how I feel about them. It was more of frustration. Think you’re talking to your friends. It’s definitely not how I feel. It is what it is.”

Foster hopes Washington fans forgive him.

“I love the fan base,” Foster said. “That was one of the reasons I know I came back. I love my teammates. I love my coaches. It was said out of frustration thinking I was talking to somebody else, but I wasn’t. But they know. The people know that I love these fans out here.”

Foster blames his cousin for the subsequent messages from his account, and he said he’s working on forgiving his cousin.

The team has forgiven him, with coach Jay Gruden giving Foster a pass.

Report: Washington releases D.J. Swearinger
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 24, 2018, 11:45 AM EST
gettyimages-10527113001-e1543340275149.jpg

Washington safety D.J. Swearinger was critical of his own coaches in the wake of Saturday’s season-killing loss to the Titans.

So Monday, his coach told him to take a hike.

According to Grant Paulsen of The Athletic, Swearinger was called into coach Jay Gruden’s office this morning and was released.

Swearinger teed off on defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s play-calls late in the game, as Blaine Gabbert led the Titans back for a win. He said their decisions were “horrible.”

With the season shot anyway, Gruden has apparently chose tranquility over talent. Swearinger had been a productive player, and had a year left on his contract.

D.J. Swearinger leaves his fourth team swinging
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 24, 2018, 2:54 PM EST
GettyImages-1030080754-e1545681187150.jpg

Getty Images

It’s important to remember, in the NFL and life in general, that two things that seem at odds can be true at the same time.

So while it’s entirely possible that former Washington safety D.J. Swearinger knew more than his coaches and was more beloved by his teammates, his surprise release Monday also means he’s burned through four teams in six seasons. Three of those teams released the talented safety — along with the Texans (who drafted him in the second round) and the Buccaneers. He left Arizona as a free agent after a year and a month.

During his appearance on 106.7 The Fan in which he broke his own news that he was released this morning by coach Jay Gruden, Swearinger took his parting shots at an organization that has done plenty of other things wrong lately and in general.

“He just said it was the third time I’ve been in his office and we’re going to release you,” Swearinger said. “And that was that. I don’t have words for this. I had a Pro Bowl year. I was a captain in year one, and this year I thought I improved on everything and I did a slap in the face and get released. I gave it my all and put my heart into it every single week to the best I could. I guess it says a lot about the organization.”

Swearinger was named an alternate to the Pro Bowl, and joked that he’d wear his old South Carolina helmet if he ended up in the all-star game.

His release became easier for Washington after he ripped defensive coordinator Greg Manusky for “horrible” play-calls in Saturday’s loss to the Titans. He has previously criticized the team’s overall preparation and casual attitudes toward Friday practices, and said he watched more film than the Washington coaches, and would text suggestions at 1 a.m. while watching film — which Manusky had to appreciate.

He also accused coaches of election fraud — rigging the voting for team captain so he wouldn’t repeat this year. He said there was a three-way tie in player voting, but Gruden opted for others instead.

“It’s not rocket science why I wasn’t captain,” Swearinger told host Grant Paulsen. “I’m a vocal guy, passionate guy that wants to win. If the coaches feel I’m too smart or a weapon as far as my smarts are concerned . . . . they got to release the guy that has knowledge or has respect in the locker room I guess.”

Or something.

Swearinger’s available to any team now via waivers, if they want to pick up his $4.25 million salary for next year, to get a head start on being his fifth NFL team.

Hopefully some of those useless coaches we have will get pink slipped also.

MVP #1 - AP (i love this man)
MVP #2 - Mason Foster (real heart)
MVP #3 - Ryan Kerrigan (the MAN)
MVP #4 - Johnathen Allen (great year)
MVP #5 - Ha Ha (all class since coming in)

Biggest flops:
#1 Paul Richardson
#2 Josh Doctson (needs to get his #### together)
#3 "Fat" Rob Kelley (needs a pink slip)

Report: “Major shakeup” in Washington front office
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 26, 2018, 2:57 PM EST
GettyImages-611978742-e1545854130222.jpg

Getty Images

Heads are apparently about to roll in Washington, beyond D.J. Swearinger or anyone else on the football side of the operation.

According to Craig Hoffman of 106.7 The Fan, there’s a “major shakeup” coming in the front office there, with multiple top executives on the way out.

The jobs are on the business side of the operation, and do not include team president Bruce Allen.

The list includes chief operating officer and president of business operations Brian Lafemina, chief marketing officer Steve Ziff, and senior vice president of consumer sales and marketing Jake Bye.

Lafemina was just hired in May after previously working in the league office, making it unusual to say the least to see such a short tenure.

The team is bad at the moment, but they’ve been bad on the football side for most of the Dan Snyder era (five winning seasons and four playoff appearances since 2000). But this year, they also quit pretending there was a waiting list for season tickets, and haven’t drawn well as the team spiraled after a 6-3 start when Alex Smith suffered a gruesome broken leg.

Reuben Foster’s arrival sparked business-side changes in Washington
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2018, 7:54 AM EST

GettyImages-497140396-e1546088024582.jpg

Getty Images

A fairly small national story has nevertheless become huge news in Washington, with the Christmas week departure of several key business-side employees, including recently-arrived COO Brian Lafemina.

As explained by Thom Loverro of the Washington Times, the firing of Lafemina and three other executives came in the aftermath of complaints registered by Lafemina over last month’s controversial acquisition of linebacker Reuben Foster. The move, reportedly masterminded by team president Bruce Allen, triggered an avalanche of criticism, and Lafemina reportedly communicated to Allen and owner Daniel Snyder concerns that had been communicated by corporate ticketholders. It became, per Loverro, the “tipping point” in a relationship that was otherwise doomed from its inception.

It’s not a surprise, given the clear and obvious influence Allen possesses over Snyder. The hiring of Lafemina led to speculation that Allen could finally be in trouble, and it’s entirely possible that Allen immediately hatched and mobilized a plan to rid himself of this threat to his authority and position.

Allen’s skills as a football executive have consistently resided in a vat of ambiguity; his abilities as a politician are unquestioned. Allen plays to an audience of one, and he plays it well enough to continue to hold his position even as everything about the team crumbles. No playoffs since a one-and-out in 2015, dramatically reduced attendance (Lafemina’s biggest accomplishment may have been ending the chronic lie about a season-ticket waiting list), and a growing sense of apathy in D.C. and irrelevance beyond.

So Allen has now managed to fend off perceived or actual threats in the form of Scot McCloughan and Brian Lafemina. It’s currently believed that Allen will remain in place for at least another year and, as a practical matter, for as long as he can maintain whatever spell he has spun on the one man in D.C. with the power to send Allen packing.

I don't know the inner workings so can't comment on the front office politics. What I do know Bruce Allen was given more credit than he was due at the Raiders, he drove the Bucs in to the ground and he has poorly handled the Redskins. I can't see him magically turning it around.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound very good.....

-----------------------

Jay Gruden doesn’t know if he’s safe or not

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 1, 2019, 8:34 AM EST

GettyImages-1070650952.jpg

AP

Jay Gruden wasn’t fired yesterday. But he works in Washington, where no one other than Dan Snyder (and apparently Bruce Allen) should ever feel truly safe.
So after a 6-3 start turned into a 7-9 finish, Gruden wasn’t taking anything for granted.
I really don’t know why I’m up here, to be honest with you,” Gruden said at a season-ending press conference yesterday, via Les Carpenter of the Washington Post.
When he talked to reporters, he had yet to talk to Snyder or Allen about his future.
“I’m just waiting by the phone,” Gruden said of his meeting. “And when I get the call, I’ll go.”
He wasn’t one of the usual suspects when discussions of soon-to-be-fired coaches started in recent weeks. Then again, he’s 35-44-1 in five seasons, and lost his only playoff game (which doesn’t make him unique in that franchise’s history). He also presided over a small-bore mutiny, cutting safety D.J. Swearinger late in the season after he disparaged the coaching staff. There was also the small matter of his quarterback position being a mess, after Alex Smith and Colt McCoy broke their legs.
So when Gruden talked, he kept using phrases like “if I’m still here” or “once I get the word.”
“If I’m fortunate enough to be here, I feel good about the nucleus of the players that we have,” Gruden said. “We have to adjust some things without a doubt; when you’re 7-9, with injuries or not, it’s not good enough for this franchise. I know Mr. Snyder demands greatness from his staff and his players, and we didn’t do enough this year, so we have to figure out ways to get better. From the coaching staff standpoint first and then from a players standpoint.”
And since he works for Dan Snyder, being forced to stand up and talk about decisions he doesn’t make or even know yet seems par for the course.

scathing....on multiple fronts....

--------

Zach Brown says Washington doesn’t want people that hold players accountable

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 4, 2019, 12:51 AM EST

GettyImages-1068189344-e1546578351679.jpg

Getty Images

After another lost season in Washington D.C., Redskins linebacker Zach Brown told the Athletic that he anticipates significant changes to the team’s locker room.
This locker room is going to be so different next season,” Brown said.

One key piece of Washington’s defense is already gone. Safety D.J. Swearinger was axed by the team in late December after levying public criticism of defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s game plan against the Tennessee Titans. While not directly correlated, Washington would also let a handful of key business side executives go days later, including COO Brian Lafemina, whom the franchise had hired to the position just eight months earlier.

Brown said that while Swearinger didn’t go about his comments the right way, it showed he cared about the team’s performance and his passion came from the correct place.

“You can clearly see, they don’t want guys that hold players accountable,” Brown said. “If you notice, no one except one person disagreed with D.J.’s comments that players aren’t being held accountable. Should he have said it the way he did? Nah. Was he wearing people out with the way he was going about it? Hell yeah! But it’s true. I see why our organization is disrespected. They get rid of the people that actually care, and are trying to create a winning culture.”

You can take the accountability aspect all the way up to owner Daniel Snyder and team president Bruce Allen as neither party made themselves available to answer questions regarding the team’s decision to claim Reuben Foster off waivers after an alleged domestic violence incident in Tampa or after the team’s decision to fire their business-side personnel.

Brown also said her doesn’t believe he will be back with the team next season despite having two years remaining on the contract he signed last March. Brown lost playing time to Shaun Dion Hamilton after getting sick in December.

Washington has made the playoffs just five times since Snyder took over as team owner in 1999 and has not reached the conference championship game in that span. They haven’t advanced beyond Wild Card weekend since 2005.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Alex might not play next season.
I know a thing about broken legs. I had a 3 break compound fracture and after 426 days still have a slight crack in my tibia.
Who do you reckon?

I wouldnt mind a season of Fitzmagic!
fitzmagic. sure why not.
if only dan snyder suffered a 3 compound fracture too.

So, since we last made the Super Bowl the following teams also haven't.
Redskins, Texans, Jags, Lions, Browns, Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, Vikings, Dolphins : 10 teams.
Which isn't too bad even if 3 of those teams weren't around for parts of those 27 years, but it's a sorry tale.

Even worse is the NFC representatives in the NFC title game (Panthers joined in 1995 and the Seahawks in 2002)

7 - 49ers
6 - Packers, Eagles
5 - Panthers
4 - Cowboys, Falcons, Vikings
3 - Rams, Giants, Seahawks, Saints, Cardinals
2 - Buccaneers, Bears
0 - Lions, Redskins

All but us and the Lions have had a couple of cracks at a Super Bowl berth :(
I like to think the balance of the universe will right itself one day, but I don't know when we're going to add to our tally.

My GM mode:

Pink Slip/let go/trade : Kelley, Doctson, Lauvao, Richardson and everyone else

Sign: AP (#1 priority), Preston Smith, Ha-Ha, Floyd (deserves a chance IMO), FitzMagic, Adam Humphries

Cann (Jags Guard), Barrett (Broncos OLB), Farley (Colts S),

Unsure: Crowder

Draft = QB, C, iLB, S, G, WR

My GM mode:

Pink Slip/let go/trade : Kelley, Doctson, Lauvao, Richardson and everyone else

Sign: AP (#1 priority), Preston Smith, Ha-Ha, Floyd (deserves a chance IMO), FitzMagic, Adam Humphries

Cann (Jags Guard), Barrett (Broncos OLB), Farley (Colts S),

Unsure: Crowder

Draft = QB, C, iLB, S, G, WR
Why Fitz over anybody else? And is this another short term trade to build up a draft QB or longer term?

I hope the Pink Slip includes Gruden

Draft a QB rd 1.
Fitzmagic as a stop gap for 1 or 2 seasons.
Smith's career may be over as a pro footballer. If he comes back great. If not he would be better than Sanchez or McCoy.
I have a 3 break compound fracture in my right leg and i have one break still not healed after 430 days.
2019 is Gruden's last year.
Defence is working their *** off but offence spluttering with him calling the plays and WR who cant catch or who are injured too often.

We also don't have a lot of cap space.
So i'd prefer a healthy Humphries than and oft injured Crowder
Floyd if he works hard in OTA's deserves a chance at 6' 3" and great hands if he gets his head right
Fitzmagic might be the cheapest option for 2 years.
Maybe trade Reed for Cameron Brate to save some $$$$ - i've almost lost patience waiting for Jordan to play a full season and he aint worth it
Reuben Foster is a free hit. If he gets his **** together and grows up at 24 he could be a steal. If he fails he's prob never playing NFL again.
Chopping Kelley, Richardson etc should save some much needed $$$$ to retain AP and Ha-Ha.
Kerrigan and Williams etc won't be around forever and Swearinger's spot is now open hence adding younger guys in Cann, Barrett and Farley makes sense.
Doctson and Crowder let them go or trade them. Draft a QB first (Kyler Murray or Daniel Jones) and C, iLB, S, G, WR in the other rounds.

Last edited:
Don't mind Keenum trade at all.

31 and for only $3.5m to $4m is a bargain really.

So the question remains do we draft a QB Rd 1 or someone who can immediately impact the OL or a S/CB?

Would have liked Rosen ;)

I think we ride Keenum for the year until the Alex Smith picture clears up, then make plans for 2020 once we know.
If a decent QB is available at pick #15 I think we take him, otherwise we do look elsewhere. I don't think we should trade up for a QB and, if QB isn't on the radar in the 1st round, maybe look at moving down and adding more picks.

Glad we got Collins....long term and a quality addition.
Crowder isn't worth what the Jets are paying him.
So our WR stocks seems like we are are sticking with Doctson (pull your finger out and work hard Josh!)
Richardson, Doctson, Floyd should get a contract if he can get back to his best deserves a crack at 6'3" and great hands.
Maybe Tate seeing DeSean is going back to Philly? Him or Crabtree would be great acquisitions.
Still need to build on the OL and a G. Must keep AP and Preston Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back