Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Braves would be cool, but it's also already been done and feels cheap. It's a strong name tho

Warriors? Genuinely tacky and sounds bad. Not only is it a cliche, but alliteration is not good for sports team names. Very rarely does it work well. (Seattle did it well twice with the Seahawks and Supersonics)

Washington fired director of pro personnel Alex Santos Sunday.
Santos' right-hand man Richard Mann was also let go. It leaves Washington without a full front office just weeks before training camp and a period where we expect madness with rosters. The pandemic could force the NFL to extend practice squad reserves, even if the plan is to limit training camp participants. The reality is the timing of firing two top personnel men is poor. It's unclear who will be hired to replace them.
SOURCE: WashingtonPost.com
Jul 12, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

Conflicting reports and potential heartbreak
So Sports business Journal released a report saying that our name will be retired tomorrow, but the new name is tied up in trademark approval and won't be revealed immediately... Meanwhile Darren Haynes reports the Redskins haven't decided on a name yet...how can you be waiting on trademark approval when you haven't decided on a name yet? Conflicting reports in a time like this where we as fans are losing our beloved name is the last thing we ******* need.
Furthermore, now we're getting reports that there's bad news coming this week??? How are you guys feeling about the Washington sports media right now? After reading all this crap the past 2 hours, there's no way I can sleep tonight. Will we be the Redwolves, warriors, or will we even have a team at all by the end of the week?

Probably is Warriors....

-----------

Did anyone read the Washington post article/report released about an hour ago? This is the direct quote from it (il put it below). Doesn’t look good for the RedWolves crowd at all.
“He did not reveal the name but he said he wanted to talk to native Americans and military organizations to make sure the new name properly honors both.”
“ Two people with knowledge is of the team plans said Sunday that the preferred name is tied up in a trademark fight”
He being dan and RedWolves doesn’t honor natives and there isn’t much of fight for its trademark

Scott Abraham (@ScottABC7) Tweeted: I’ve been told it has to do with the front office firings of Alex Santos and Richard Mann II.

Again no details, no specifics. Sorry people...I’m waiting just like you.
[Abraham] There is much more going on at Redskins Park than a name change. I’m told by a source there will be some more news that comes out tomorrow other than the name change. And it’s not good. I did not get specifics, but get ready people.

Braves would be cool, but it's also already been done and feels cheap. It's a strong name tho
They'd come full circle seeing they started out as the Boston Braves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Washington trademark squatter adds to his portfolio
Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2020, 12:20 PM EDT

As Washington prepares to change its name, it may have to deal with a man named Martin McCaulay.

In recent weeks, McCaulay has squatted on several potential names for the team, via applications filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. It’s not a new hobby for McCaulay; back in 2015, FOX5 highlighted McCaulay’s effort to get ahead of the curve.

I can really see into the future on this issue,” McCaulay told FOX5 at the time. “Now when I look into the future, I see no change for ten years, and then in ten years, I see the name changing to the Washington Warriors. And if not the Warriors, then the Americans.”

McCaulay’s vision was a bit cloudy. Only five years after predicting no change in the next 10, the name is changing.

As of the posting of the FOX5 story in May 2015, McCaulay had registered for trademark protection on the following Washington-based names: Americans, Bravehearts, Federals, Forces, Founders, Gladiators, Monuments, Natives, Pandas, Pigskins, Red-Tailed Hawks, Renegades, Sharks, Veterans, and Tribe. McCaulay told FOX5 that he had spent $20,000 to secure the various trademarks.
A Sunday search conducted by PFT of the USPTO’s public trademark database revealed that Phillip Martin McCaulay (it would be one hell of a coincidence if it wasn’t the same guy) has recently filed applications for the following trademarks: Washington Redtails (July 7 and July 5), Washington Monuments (July 6), Washington Veterans (July 6), Washington Renegades (July 6), Washington Red-Tailed Hawks (July 4), and Washington Americans (June 18).

Other related trademarks applications have been filed in recent weeks by Richard Garrison of Los Angeles (Washington Braves, July 5); David Woods of Alexandria, Virginia (Washington Freedom Fighters, July 5), F1rst World Apparel of Santa Clarita, California (Washington War Hogs, July 5), Raymond Luchi of Santa Rosa, California (Washington Radskins, July 4), and David Howard of Rockville Centre, New York (Washington Potomacs, July 3).

Baseball’s Washington Nationals claimed the name “Washington Senators” in 2008, per the USPTO database. Before the Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals in 2005, the Washington Senators relocated to Texas and became the Rangers in 1972.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder previously had claimed the rights to “Washington Warriors.” The Washington Times recently reported that the team previously has abandoned that trademark.

The USPTO database shows that McCaulay filed an application for trademark protection of the Warriors name in July 2015.

The name Windtalkers/Wind Talkers and Codetalkers/Code Talkers currently are available. Those names would honor the Native Americans who worked in the Pacific theater during World War II to transmit messages that Japanese forces could not decode. In recent days, however, reports have emerged suggesting that the new name will have no connection to Native Americans.

Likewise, neither Red Wolves nor Redwolves have been claimed. In recent days, it has emerged as a viable option for the team’s new name. Likewise, Presidents currently isn’t claimed.

So, basically, it’s time for Martin McCaulay to get back to work.

Washington trademark squatter adds to his portfolio
Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2020, 12:20 PM EDT

As Washington prepares to change its name, it may have to deal with a man named Martin McCaulay.

In recent weeks, McCaulay has squatted on several potential names for the team, via applications filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. It’s not a new hobby for McCaulay; back in 2015, FOX5 highlighted McCaulay’s effort to get ahead of the curve.

I can really see into the future on this issue,” McCaulay told FOX5 at the time. “Now when I look into the future, I see no change for ten years, and then in ten years, I see the name changing to the Washington Warriors. And if not the Warriors, then the Americans.”

McCaulay’s vision was a bit cloudy. Only five years after predicting no change in the next 10, the name is changing.

As of the posting of the FOX5 story in May 2015, McCaulay had registered for trademark protection on the following Washington-based names: Americans, Bravehearts, Federals, Forces, Founders, Gladiators, Monuments, Natives, Pandas, Pigskins, Red-Tailed Hawks, Renegades, Sharks, Veterans, and Tribe. McCaulay told FOX5 that he had spent $20,000 to secure the various trademarks.
A Sunday search conducted by PFT of the USPTO’s public trademark database revealed that Phillip Martin McCaulay (it would be one hell of a coincidence if it wasn’t the same guy) has recently filed applications for the following trademarks: Washington Redtails (July 7 and July 5), Washington Monuments (July 6), Washington Veterans (July 6), Washington Renegades (July 6), Washington Red-Tailed Hawks (July 4), and Washington Americans (June 18).

Other related trademarks applications have been filed in recent weeks by Richard Garrison of Los Angeles (Washington Braves, July 5); David Woods of Alexandria, Virginia (Washington Freedom Fighters, July 5), F1rst World Apparel of Santa Clarita, California (Washington War Hogs, July 5), Raymond Luchi of Santa Rosa, California (Washington Radskins, July 4), and David Howard of Rockville Centre, New York (Washington Potomacs, July 3).

Baseball’s Washington Nationals claimed the name “Washington Senators” in 2008, per the USPTO database. Before the Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals in 2005, the Washington Senators relocated to Texas and became the Rangers in 1972.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder previously had claimed the rights to “Washington Warriors.” The Washington Times recently reported that the team previously has abandoned that trademark.

The USPTO database shows that McCaulay filed an application for trademark protection of the Warriors name in July 2015.

The name Windtalkers/Wind Talkers and Codetalkers/Code Talkers currently are available. Those names would honor the Native Americans who worked in the Pacific theater during World War II to transmit messages that Japanese forces could not decode. In recent days, however, reports have emerged suggesting that the new name will have no connection to Native Americans.

Likewise, neither Red Wolves nor Redwolves have been claimed. In recent days, it has emerged as a viable option for the team’s new name. Likewise, Presidents currently isn’t claimed.

So, basically, it’s time for Martin McCaulay to get back to work.

Washington Panda's is ******* terrible, could have skipped that one.

The Washington Tribe is good. Wish it was that.

The trademark war could actually be for Red Wolves....

There’s no Washington red wolves trademark currently; but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been filed and just isn’t in the system yet. That said Arkansas State has a trademark for “Red Wolves” as it relates to sports apparel. So it could be that (or something related to Warriors; Red Tails; or any other relatively generic name they come up with)

People gotta remember they need the trade mark to the name with both the city and nickname; and just the nickname to properly market the team and sell apparel and basically anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back