Watching AFL while overseas?

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Pilchard_Adams, Feb 12, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Pilchard_Adams

Pilchard_Adams Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Hi guys, is it possible to watch AFL while overseas? Im travelling for the foreseeable future and dont want to miss the games!!! Dont worry, my membership ticket will be used every week by a friends daughter.

I know there is an AFL live subscription but last year when I tried to use it, I think it was for people within Australia?

I want to watch on my Windows Laptop. I am a telstra customer but its a pre paid simcard with no credit as it expired a while ago while I was overseas.

The club should look into an overseas membership that allows its customers to watch games live via some form of crow tv.

Much love from Cambodia.

AmericanCrow likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Hank93

Hank93 Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg, AUFC, LCFC/Cubs Bandwagon
    This is the main service the AFL provide, it's pretty much perfect as long your wi-fi is reasonable.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/

kulak and AmericanCrow like this.
  3. Pilchard_Adams

Pilchard_Adams Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Thanks mate, looking at it now. Its not cheap but I havent missed a game in a long time, not about to start now!! If anyone has other ideas keep them coming

4. Hank93

Hank93 Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg, AUFC, LCFC/Cubs Bandwagon
    As you can see it's free for the pre season which is a bonus.

If you're living overseas for the whole year, I'd say $190 for the season is a good deal. It's a whole lot less than what you have to pay here in Aus to get foxtel.

Pilchard_Adams likes this.
  5. Scorpus

Scorpus Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The quality through Watch AFL is pretty good

AmericanCrow likes this.
  6. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    pretty sure there would be cheaper options... quality might not be as good if there were.

7. Scorpus

Scorpus Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    If you have Fotxel you can use an Australian VPN on a tablet to access Foxtel Go while overseas

AmericanCrow likes this.
  8. Shaz2012

Shaz2012 All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Australia Plus shows AFL and its available in Cambodia. If you are getting pay tv make sure you choose a provider that includes this. I think its free to air over satellite so if you are buying a satellite dish for your tv channels ask about this when you are buying..

I know that it was showing 1 game on Friday, 3 each on Saturday and Sunday. So 7 games a weekend.

AmericanCrow likes this.
  9. AmericanCrow

AmericanCrow Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Cleveland Browns, Indians and Cavs
    The club also has an international membership that comes with a password for the AFL watch stream. Personally, if you end up deciding to go the AFL watch route--you might as well go thru the club so they get some of the revenue from it.

Global Crow is $155 and it appears this year they added a no frills Crows live for $110

https://www.19thman.com.au/digital-memberships

10. mrbarb

mrbarb Draftee

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Just wondering if anyone else here with a Global Crow membership has received their code for watchafl.com.au for this year yet? Mine has not come through, and when I emailed the club they said there was a hold up from the AFL. But on the main board other club members are saying they have received theirs already...

11. AmericanCrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I have not received mine yet either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Rookie

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    No complaints whatsoever from me about the quality of Watch AFL...got it last season for the first time and money well spent...apparently you will also now be able to access tv shows such as AFL 360 and On the Couch...if that's your thing...

13. AmericanCrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Just got my code via email a little while ago

So maybe they are being sent today for those that have yet to get

14. Eagleboy2011

Eagleboy2011 Senior List

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Are there any free sights? Can one watch ch 7 overseas on laptop if you put Adelaide post code in? I am going to Europe in july/aug and do not know if I can watch much .

15. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    probably, but it would need to be in conjunction with a VPN

16. AFC3000

AFC3000 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I got my Watch AFL code today as well. Used it a bit during the women's games, Foxtel are now providing the service, it looks to have improved (can't confirm video quality or reliability). Replay straight away, or the start watching from the start feature are good (no more waiting until later in the match for them to put up the first quarter).

Also has all of the Fox Footy shows this year. Do become a member and buy it from the club via 19thman.com.au and save some money at the same time though.

17. AmericanCrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:

There are actually stations that air games live. I started doing a little thread each week at the suggestion of fellow board members listing what time and what station for the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA and some random spot on the globe.

I will do that again this year too.

Crows are actually aired quite a bit world wide

fairfooty, sgPanther and GrommoT like this.
  18. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Are we televised in china yet?

AmericanCrow and AFC3000 like this.
  19. AmericanCrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    To steal a phrase that former Cleveland Browns coach Sam Rutigliano said in the early 1980's and modify it for our purposes:

"There are 800 million Chinese who didn't even know (the Crows) we played today. We'll get over this."

fairfooty and FR0GGY like this.
  20. sgPanther

sgPanther Debutant

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Panthers (SANFL)
    As has been said in replies above, when living in asia, subscribe to a cable TV package that gives this channel.. http://tv.australiaplus.com/tuning

Many hotels in the region will have this channel on their list.. but not all by any means.

You cannot VPN into channel 7 as they don't show the stream of AFL games anyway... Foxtel have those rights.

If you have a foxtel subscription, set it up on your ipad and get a VPN that lets you have an exit node in Australia... then you can watch using your foxtel account...

There are no free ways to watch that I know of, other than finding a pub with it on... which is pretty unlikely in asia... hard enough in queensland to be honest...

The way that AmericanCrow uses is the best if you are long term out of Australia and have a good internet connection... to be frank most hotel and hotspot wifi will not cope with the bandwidth...

I live in Singapore most of the time with family in Australia so have foxtel access through VPN. This works good for me and my home internet is capable.. I have been known to watch a few games on 4G too, but Singapore has good 4G coverage... some parts of asia may be a little less technologically advanced.

There are also a few people that post youtube videos a few days after the games that are actually reasonably high quality, but of course a few days delayed...

You can always listen for free through AFL website.

cammo84 likes this.
  21. mrbarb

mrbarb Draftee

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    My code arrived today also. Hope the quality is better than last year. Games would often freeze, and audio went out of Sync. A heap of AFL games are broadcast on ESPN in the UK, which you can view on BT TV. I ended up watching Crows games on that when they were broadcast, rather than on watchafl, as the quality is much better.

AmericanCrow likes this.
  22. Juragan Cendol

Juragan Cendol Rookie

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Bayern München
    As mentioned in the previous posts, the watchafl service is now provided by fox footy. You need to create a new account even though you have used the old watchafl service. The pricing is more expensive but I can confirm that quality is better (probably 60fps, definitely more than 30) and you get to watch all the other fox footy afl shows.