News Watching Port away games live on TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I hate the fact that I have to pay $90 a year to watch footy on my devices, because Foxtel Go can't show live regular season footy, and then as a result I'd need to go pay $50+ a month for Foxtel to watch it on TV.

That's double dipping.

Foxtel is a rort, a massive waste of money and one I won't be paying for. I will just get an AFL live pass and use that for the year because at least I get mobile telecasts out of that, and I will just go to the club or pub when our games are on fox.

Other than that I will continue to use somewhat illegal streaming websites like cricf---.Sx (blanking the title to not get in trouble) which is brilliant. I can watch all NBA, cricket, NFL and the like through that and not just 1 crappy extracted nba/nhl/MLB game or 1 stupid nfl redzone that skips key parts of my Raiders games. Fox provides a crap service and remains significantly over priced and I won't be wasting my money on it.

Is a big shame the AFL is moving this way too, I hope we never become a purely pay-tv sport because it will hurt the sport big time.

Personally I hate the fact that I have to pay $90 a year to watch footy on my devices, because Foxtel Go can't show live regular season footy, and then as a result I'd need to go pay $50+ a month for Foxtel to watch it on TV.

That's double dipping.

Foxtel is a rort, a massive waste of money and one I won't be paying for. I will just get an AFL live pass and use that for the year because at least I get mobile telecasts out of that, and I will just go to the club or pub when our games are on fox.

Other than that I will continue to use somewhat illegal streaming websites like cricf---.Sx (blanking the title to not get in trouble) which is brilliant. I can watch all NBA, cricket, NFL and the like through that and not just 1 crappy extracted nba/nhl/MLB game or 1 stupid nfl redzone that skips key parts of my Raiders games. Fox provides a crap service and remains significantly over priced and I won't be wasting my money on it.

Is a big shame the AFL is moving this way too, I hope we never become a purely pay-tv sport because it will hurt the sport big time.
I thought Foxtel Go on now has Fox Footy live? or is that only for the preseason comp?

To be honest, I do not mind the idea that much of paying for a subscription to watch all games. However my biggest issue is it being through Fox and the AFL Live Pass options.

I am an NBA fan and get League Pass. It is not super cheap, but it isn't ridiculous. When you compare it to the price of Foxtel however, it is much cheaper. The benefit however is it actually a decent product. Foxtel Go quality is terrible, barely watchable on a tablet.

The AFL Live Pass is even worse, it is an absolute joke. For one the quality is horrendous, you cannot stream in HD. Two you cannot Airplay or Chromecast it to your TV, you can do some dodgy mirroring, however it looks so bad it is unwatchable. Thirdly, the current Live Pass won't even allow you to watch the games in full screen this year on the iPad. It is some little window that you cannot expand and you can barely recognise the players it is that small. No idea why the hell they have changed this, however it is now two weeks into the JLT and they haven't done anything to fix it.

If they are trying to move more to subscription based viewing like other sports, they need to actually get the technology right.

The AFL Live Pass is even worse, it is an absolute joke. For one the quality is horrendous, you cannot stream in HD. Two you cannot Airplay or Chromecast it to your TV, you can do some dodgy mirroring, however it looks so bad it is unwatchable.
You can Miracast it, the main version of device to TV streaming out there. However you are right it is not really watchable.

That's double dipping.

You can watch all live games on Foxtel Go app on your device such as an iPad. You can't watch live AFL on a PC or Mac however, it is only available on devices.

It amazes me how oblivious people are to the value of streaming services and Foxtel.

Netflix in OZ is crap. All old shows that can be acquired by other means. The best of what's available though (that says something)

Stan, well I refuse to take anyone seriously who subscribes to this. An absolute joke of a service.

Foxtel is great for $50 a month (basic & sports) considering what you get.

As far as AFL goes, people need to get over having to wait for 30mins to watch what they used to get live. It will only get worse from here.

People need to stop being intimidated by technology and the internet and get out there and see what they can get for next to nothing.
Surely you are a Foxtel employee. Otherwise there is no way you could be so wrong unintentionally.

It's disappointing that the AFL is going backwards in terms of its ability to provide coverage on FTA. I've been a foxtel subscriber nearly 20 years now but I'd have cancelled my subscription a while ago if it wasn't for their sports package. Losing the Premier League was the beginning of the end for foxtel. Won't be surprised to see it disband be bought by a streaming company or completely change its model to a more 'Netflix-styled interface' within the next decade.

I think people will happily pay to watch AFL live but the value proposition has to be there. We should not have to pay a minimum of $55/month for 50+ channels when the only thing we want is to watch AFL. $90 for an AFL live pass annual subscription is better cost wise but the AFL in their wisdom has limited viewing size to iPhone spec. Both options for paid live AFL viewing are a joke.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you are a Foxtel employee. Otherwise there is no way you could be so wrong unintentionally.

Not a Foxtel employee.

I just see straight through all the crap that people think is a good deal.

Netflix in OZ is mainly older seasons of current shows plus the Netflix exclusive content.

Get the USA subscription and its awesome.

Basically, a lot of people are afraid or don't know how to look around online for cheaper and better means to acquire the content and end up becoming victims of marketing or they buy in to the hype of others that have fallen victim.

I have a friend who won't get wifi as he thinks it's going to affect his health because of the radio waves!!

He watches too many ACA programs.

Knowledge is power and if your willing to put yourself out there and look for a better option, you will be rewarded.

Declaring me "so wrong" just says to me that there is much to learn for you about what options are out there and you are probably in to Netflix and / or Stan.

I would never waste my money on such services unless they can emulate the USA content.

Last edited:
I don't buy netflix simply because all of the content is available through free means. Live sport is much harder in that regard.

Same argument can be made with foxtel I guess, but I pay for that and just daisychain sports onto it.

You can watch all live games on Foxtel Go app on your device such as an iPad. You can't watch live AFL on a PC or Mac however, it is only available on devices.
Ok will have to try that because I'm leeching off my mum's account and using it on my phone. I know you can watch the preseason games, but in the past Foxtel go hasn't been able to play regular season games live because Telstra made device streaming exclusive to the AFL app.

Last edited:
I think this is the only legitimate way of doing so. There's a free trial period at the minute that you could test for quality.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/offer?gclid=CKizkLKDt9ICFUR0vQodSusJvg

Or at the bottom here:

http://www.afl.com.au/global

I've used WatchAFL for a few years now. Has always been really good.
This year they've changed over to a new app and you get all the Fox footy shows as well.
Unfortunately, so far the app is pretty unreliable compared to the old one, average quality and too much video buffering.
Having said that it appears they're working on improving it and the Lions v Bulldogs game is working well on my iPhone today.

I've used WatchAFL for a few years now. Has always been really good.
This year they've changed over to a new app and you get all the Fox footy shows as well.
Unfortunately, so far the app is pretty unreliable compared to the old one, average quality and too much video buffering.
Having said that it appears they're working on improving it and the Lions v Bulldogs game is working well on my iPhone today.
Check this Bennie the Nurse, and direct all future complaints to glitch. :)

I use Chromecast from the AFL live stream. It's ok. I've got decent wi-fi but the picture quality isn't consistent. It cost me $54 from Officeworks and basically mirrors whats on your phone.
The way I look at it is it's only for a few games as I go to games at AO and the majority of away games will be live.

Foxtel is just not worth it for some people. I am really busy so literally watch port away games that is all. So 2 games of footy a month for $55 bucks. Ok I would probably watch a bit of quality cricket (like current tests in India as well. But this is not often. So one good value month)
The world is different now. People want to watch, what they want when they want and they want to pay for only what they watch. Foxtel just don't want to get with the times.
So we find alternate sources.
Good vpn services are not that expensive and open many doors :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back