MRP / Trib. Waters

Remove this Banner Ad

The MRP have shown inconsistency with this decision though. They have consistently said head high contact resulting in injury is the fault of the aggressor because he has a duty of care for the player putting his head over the ball. Watson put his head over the ball...
Sorry, but Watson didn't have his head over the ball and Waters didn't choose to bump. If he had and the result was the same he'd be out for 3-4.

Sorry, but Watson didn't have his head over the ball and Waters didn't choose to bump. If he had and the result was the same he'd be out for 3-4.
Correct.. he simply chose to keep it down in an effort to get a cheap free. Instead he ended up concussed.. good work captain.

Seriously, I don't know why so many eagles supporters are bothering to post on their board. They have shown they are quite possibly the softest support base on BigFooty. Let them cry in peace.

It's been great. I previously thought the only word they knew was 'ball' because that's all I ever hear the entire Essendon crowd say whenever the opposition goes near a contest.

Geez those girls are getting upset with our presence in that thread.. "I'm turning my back on this s**t sport"..

Bunch of women.

Yeah, let them be. We smashed them, got off any potential reports and now gear up for Brisbane! Our journey continues!

Based on this year, Waters was really lucky, and I'm so relieved! Probably deserved 2 weeks :eek:
Hocking's punishment was fair in that it deserved a reprimand- it's only his poor record which made it a 1 match ban...
Poor Essendon though, they've really had an unlucky week :eek:

Yeah, leaving them alone now. Still think they are touchy.. thats part of sport though!

I'm just used to the manchester evening news site where the city fans and us dish out crap to each other all in good nature.

Maybe we, as eagles supporters, are a bit harder than other supporters ;-)

I think you'll find that the vast majority of Essendon supporters are fine with Waters getting off. Most are sooking (and rightly so) at the Hocking penalty. But to say that Watson 'ducked' into Waters shoulder to draw a free? It's nice to see they let you out on weekends

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find that the vast majority of Essendon supporters are fine with Waters getting off. Most are sooking (and rightly so) at the Hocking penalty. But to say that Watson 'ducked' into Waters shoulder to draw a free? It's nice to see they let you out on weekends

He didn't duck - that's ridiculous - but he did try and evade the oncoming waters - which is absolutely the right thing to do.

It was just unfrotunate with angles that itmeant he copped the frontof Water's shoulder. Had he stayed on the same line - he would have hit his guts probably.

All in all - twas IMO just a sporting accident - and no player could shoulder blame

Seems Essendon's football manager Paul Hamilton agrees:

"Meanwhile, Hamilton supported the panel's decision to not cite Eagle Beau Waters for his bump on Jobe Watson, which left the Essendon captain concussed.

"They've got a lot of things to consider and I can actually understand where they were coming from with that one," Hamilton said.

"That's all fair and reasonable."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121704/default.aspx

Glad for you guys that Waters got off. I honestly thought three weeks as he hit the head and the MRP have previously not taken into account accidental contact. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come and they let accidents past unpunished.

I also hope that the fans were not booing Watson. If they were and I suspect some were then that is one of the most disgusting acts possible and anyone who did it should be ashamed.

Ropable that Hocking has been done as it is again a contradiction of past results at the MRP but hopefully common sense prevails at the Tribunal.

Well done on the win and good luck in September. Also I love having the rivalry back with your mob.

Re-read my post. I can not find the word "ducked" in there at all.. to duck is to bring the head from an upright position and lower it.

As I said, he kept his head lowered.. whether it was to evade, or to draw a free is a non factor.. in any case it wasn't deliberate, reckless, avoidable contact and as such thrown out by the MRP.

Oh, and it's great to be let out on the weekends, simply to watch us keep on beating the vics.

Correct.. he simply chose to keep it down in an effort to get a cheap free. Instead he ended up concussed.. good work captain.

Re-read my post. I can not find the word "ducked" in there at all.. to duck is to bring the head from an upright position and lower it.

As I said, he kept his head lowered.. whether it was to evade, or to draw a free is a non factor.. in any case it wasn't deliberate, reckless, avoidable contact and as such thrown out by the MRP.

Oh, and it's great to be let out on the weekends, simply to watch us keep on beating the vics.

Kept head down, ducked, whatever.
I'm not debating whether or not Waters should have gotten off. He clearly did not hit Watson on purpose and I'm glad for once the MRP have thrown out an incident which was pure, tough football. But to say Watson was attempting to draw a "cheap free" defies comprehension.

I booed but not at Watson. It was at the umpires after seeing the replay on the big screen. From one of the replays shown at the ground, there looked to be minimal contact. The people I was with didn't understand what the free was paid for from the replay shown on the big screen. Thus the booing.

Looking at all the replays now, the hit was massive and a free kick was rightly payed. Apologies to Watson for any misunderstanding:thumbsu:

Do you know for a fact he wasn't? Players do it all the time these days.

You do realise you do look stupider for continuing on with these comments? Just saying, that's all, let it go through to the keeper. :thumbsu:

Kept head down, ducked, whatever.
I'm not debating whether or not Waters should have gotten off. He clearly did not hit Watson on purpose and I'm glad for once the MRP have thrown out an incident which was pure, tough football. But to say Watson was attempting to draw a "cheap free" defies comprehension.

It looked to me like Watson was trying to get around Waters but since they were so close, and with little time to react, he ended up hitting his jaw on Waters' shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back