Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Still shaking my head at the decision to get rid of him. Finally comes good & we get rid of him for nothing. Had a great season in 2016 & was well on track to having another until his injury mid year. The fact he finished 21st in our B & F is a joke. People think his previous 7 seasons were rubbish but that's untrue, sure he was inconsistent like other young players but he simply failed to live up to the massive expectations that were placed on him from day dot. We have a surplus of tall forwards atm but to give him away for nothing is very disappointing as he can play just about any position on the ground.
He is a very divisive player at our club. A majority love him but there are some who can't stand him & moving on to a new club will be good for him. I wish Jack all the best & hope he kicks some major ass for you guys. (Just not against us please. I'd hate for him to kick a match winner against us in a final & realise the MFC paid him to do that.)
Cheers mate
Good to see level headed posters from other clubs
Good luck next year
Hope Lever goes ok too

We don't need Jack Watts to be a star worthy of the #1 pick. We identified him as an attainable player who has strengths which address our forward line's biggest weaknesses.

We need a second tall forward to draw attention away from Charlie Dixon but who's also mobile enough to not be a liability defensively. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need a player to take lead up marks as the ball is coming into the forward line. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need a player who can use the ball well and hit up players on leads inside 50. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need players who are reliable set shots at goal. Jack Watts fits that bill.

He's never gonna be a gorilla key forward with an imposing physical presence, but we don't need him to be. We have Dixon for that. Watts is more than capable of fitting the role that we need him to fit. He's perfectly suited for it.

Congratulations gang, the recruiting has been amazing. I am hoping Watts will show the Dees what a mistake they've made. Huge amount of man love for Jack after listening to his interview. Credit where it's due - Ken must have had a fair input in pushing for these players to be Alberton bound. I'm happy to eat my words and look forward to positive changes next year. 2018 memberships now renewed.

Trading Jack Watts could make Demons or come back to bite coach Simon Goodwin
It’s the second time in a week the suspicion is a rival got the better end of the stick in a trade deal with Melbourne.
Melbourne has paid for Watts when the fans didn’t want him to go — and haven’t really had it explained why he is going — and still got unders for the deal.
Here is a rolled gold promise: the money the Demons will pay Watts will be mentioned by someone in the media every single time he plays next year.
Melbourne fans will be in uproar if their forward line misfires next year and they sold off Watts for an ordinary draft pick — and paid Port Adelaide for the privilege.
More.. Paywall
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/729670ada0a5baaf858877e2180dd605
I know who it's gonna bite and it aint us.

I love how Tom Jonas got absolutely drawn and quartered for his hit on Gaff. Don't get me wrong, it was bad, but it's not fair that "good blokes" like Alex Rance and Luke Hodge get protected when they do similar, if not worse s**t.

How the hell was this only worth 2?

Society is trying to stamp out king hits and he sets a great example NOT.

Melbourne had a need of him too. To compliment hogan. no different to Dixon but it didn't work. I just don't think that you should expect much more than a 15-22 best player in your team sort of player. To expect a player to 'learn new tricks' after 9 years in the system. It's very rare. And you've got soft, then you have jack watts. I can't see Hinkley putting up with it.
We have a good recent history of getting the best out of our mature age recruits. We also plan on using Watts in a role which will compliment the team and utilise his strengths. Something the MFC didn't achieve for the most part.

Melbourne had a need of him too. To compliment hogan. no different to Dixon but it didn't work. I just don't think that you should expect much more than a 15-22 best player in your team sort of player. To expect a player to 'learn new tricks' after 9 years in the system. It's very rare. And you've got soft, then you have jack watts. I can't see Hinkley putting up with it.
Probably why we only gave you a throw away pick 31 and let you pay his salary to go with it... time will only tell Salty Dan!

The 2008 draft was pretty ordinary, in retrospect who'd go as #1? Probably Nic Nat, Hammer certainly hasn't lived up to #4 either.

Naitanui (2), Hurley (5), Ziebell (9), Sidebottom (11), Shuey (18), Beams (29), Hannebery (30), Sloane (44), Walters (53) are all out and out stars in among a host of other very good players such as Watts (1), Hill (3), Hartlett (4), Rich (7), Davis (10), Trengove (22), Zaharakis (23), Motlop (39), Jetta (51).

Pretty handy draft if you ask me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui (2), Hurley (5), Ziebell (9), Sidebottom (11), Shuey (18), Beams (29), Hannebery (30), Sloane (44), Walters (53) are all out and out stars in among a host of other very good players such as Watts (1), Hill (3), Hartlett (4), Rich (7), Davis (10), Trengove (22), Zaharakis (23), Motlop (39), Jetta (51).

Pretty handy draft if you ask me!
Plus Rockliff was taken in the PSD at 5, Liam Jurrah with all his wasted talent at 1, and then the rookie draft Jeff Garlett, Liam Picken, Luke Bruest, Jarryd Blair, Sam Jacobs, and Mike Pyke got picked up that rookie draft as well. It's why the recruiting industry dubbed in the 3rd super draft after 2001 and 2008. Yes tribey i know they probably missed 1997 as the first. All the picks at

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2008

We don't need Jack Watts to be a star worthy of the #1 pick. We identified him as an attainable player who has strengths which address our forward line's biggest weaknesses.

We need a second tall forward to draw attention away from Charlie Dixon but who's also mobile enough to not be a liability defensively. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need a player to take lead up marks as the ball is coming into the forward line. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need a player who can use the ball well and hit up players on leads inside 50. Jack Watts fits that bill.
We need players who are reliable set shots at goal. Jack Watts fits that bill.

He's never gonna be a gorilla key forward with an imposing physical presence, but we don't need him to be. We have Dixon for that. Watts is more than capable of fitting the role that we need him to fit. He's perfectly suited for it.

I personally think he plays his best footy on a wing, dont get me wrong, he can kick goals as a permanent forward and is a magnificent set shot but giving him some space to work in and deliver lace out into the forward 50 is his greatest attribute, he makes great decision with the ball in hand and is as good a field kick as anyone in the AFL.

If Jack can get super fit over the summer he will be a hell of recruit, his skills dont grow on trees. I wish him and Port all the best for the remainder of his career. :thumbsu:

Lol. reading these posts are hysterical! You know we got rid of watts on purpose right? Why are you excited about a melbourne discard who finished 21st in our best and fairest and had only 1 top 5 finish in 9 years?

You can add him on the toumpas pile
"I am single, unemployed and live with my parents"

What we really need from Watts is for him to grow a disgustingly long beard.
4624366-3x2-940x627.jpg

I personally think he plays his best footy on a wing, dont get me wrong, he can kick goals as a permanent forward and is a magnificent set shot but giving him some space to work in and deliver lace out into the forward 50 is his greatest attribute, he makes great decision with the ball in hand and is as good a field kick as anyone in the AFL.

If Jack can get super fit over the summer he will be a hell of recruit, his skills dont grow on trees. I wish him and Port all the best for the remainder of his career. :thumbsu:
We're sending him to F45 with the other lads. That'll do it.

Well we certainly have been lacking good deliverers too. I'm sure Ken will mix it up a bit.

i don't want to burst your bubble guys but don't forget that we got rid of him for a reason.

he has played 1 good season in 9 seasons, he came 21st in our best and fairest this year and gets dropped to our reserves team at least once a season.

There are a lot of melbourne fans that bemoan this trade but you don't hear from the supporters that are thrilled of his departure.

He doesn't go hard at the ball, sit under high balls and tackle with intensity. the reason he gets ignored by teammates is because he has no onfield presence. he only averages 2 inside 50 kicks a game and 8 in total so don't expect too much link up. he is a straight kick but just dont expect him to go and get the ball.

Would Watts be an Eddy, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back