Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

And that tight hug with CD

I think he knows he let the club down during the last 12 months.

The way he embraced Davies suggested the club threw him a lifeline and were prepared to stick by him during a low point.

I kind of felt a bit sorry for him in that moment with Mooney, he was moved on by Melbourne with the added weight of not delivering and must have been close to being on the fringes with Port.

Today could have broken his spirit even more, I hope he can relax from hereon out knowing he doesn't need to star but just play his role.

Just needs to do his job down back. I will put my hand up and say I had written him off... to hard basket to soft ect... but if pulls that sort of game consistently down back for us.... well I'm gonna eat my words sooner rather then later.

One of his assets that stood out was the quickness of his thinking. He would get the ball and move it on to a teammate in a better position before Melbourne supporters had time to boo him ;)

It’s a luxury for our defenders to be able to feed the ball back to Watts who can then spot up targets with his well weighted kicks. His and Burton’s positioning and distribution got better as the game went on.

I also liked Watts’ toughness in the air and at ground level. First rate performance.
Yep. My Melbourne mate was asking where that toughness came from.

I can only assume he was read the riot act.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The different mindset of playing in defence is perfect for Watts.
Like to see the him remain back and get settled. Like the parallels with ChadC.
Would also like to see Howard considered forward, particularly while Charlie is out.

Yep. My Melbourne mate was asking where that toughness came from.

I can only assume he was read the riot act.

He’s been allowed to play his own game. First time for a long time. That’s what Paul Roos did for him too.
Every other coach he’s had has, for their own reasons, wanted to change him into something else. Usually into something like Dixon. Which he’s just not.
If a coach (or group of coaches) are mature enough to let him (like Hoff, Robbie, Amon and others) play to his strengths, this is the result.
Goodwin’s limitations as a coach were on full view yesterday.

He’s been allowed to play his own game. First time for a long time. That’s what Paul Roos did for him too.
Every other coach he’s had has, for their own reasons, wanted to change him into something else. Usually into something like Dixon. Which he’s just not.
If a coach (or group of coaches) are mature enough to let him (like Hoff, Robbie, Amon and others) play to his strengths, this is the result.
Goodwin’s limitations as a coach were on full view yesterday.
Good post.

It’s a luxury for our defenders to be able to feed the ball back to Watts who can then spot up targets with his well weighted kicks. His and Burton’s positioning and distribution got better as the game went on.

I also liked Watts’ toughness in the air and at ground level. First rate performance.

Watts has beautiful foot skills. There was a play in the third quarter, where he was 30 metres out from Melbourne's goal, and from a standing start he nonchalantly spots up a a 25 metre pass on his left foot to a teammate in a bit of traffic at Centre half back. Those that have played a bit of footy would know that hitting a pinpoint pass on your wrong foot is not an easy skill. He could have kicked it on his right, 99% of players would have.... but not Jack.

Thought it was a great game by Watts. He played a good first game last year too then.....

Hoprfully strings some together.
The one advantage of playing Jack at CHB is he has a player to focus on as well...must concentrate and often the CHF will take him to the contest....as opposed to Jack playing as a forward where it is 'easier' to become less focused/lazier...think this new role will keep him on the edge which is a good thing

I gained a lot of respect for Watts after his interview post the Melbourne match. He had a hard time dealing with the aftermath of his off-season stupidity. He chose to work hard, get selected through the JLT (no certainty based on his 2018 form) and make the R1 team. Then he played a great, hard game against his old team. Contrast it with other players who get into strife and just hit the booze etc.

The one advantage of playing Jack at CHB is he has a player to focus on as well...must concentrate and often the CHF will take him to the contest....as opposed to Jack playing as a forward where it is 'easier' to become less focused/lazier...think this new role will keep him on the edge which is a good thing
Also if he's playing 2nd forward to Charlie, one of his tasks is to prevent his opponent from being "third man up" in a marking contest between Charlie and his opponent. So part of his responsibility is to keep his opponent - usually the main intercept marker - away from the ball.

I gained a lot of respect for Watts after his interview post the Melbourne match. He had a hard time dealing with the aftermath of his off-season stupidity. He chose to work hard, get selected through the JLT (no certainty based on his 2018 form) and make the R1 team. Then he played a great, hard game against his old team. Contrast it with other players who get into strife and just hit the booze etc.

The best thing about this for Jack is that it seems to have put all the pressure of being pick 1 and the fans into perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back