Watts v Hurley v Naitanui

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the best 8 posession game i've heard of. Petterds 14 tackles (13 in the forward 50) on Saturday must be one of the all time great games if we judge by the same criteria.

You melbourne blokes don't get it at all. Lets just rate players on pure stats, NicNat is a 2nd ruckman at the Coast because we have one of the greatest ruckman of all time in rare form. One of the key battles in the game today is the midfield and the eagles won because they dominated in that area due to the ability of NicNat and Cox to control the clearances. His pressure around the clearances is 2nd to none and is necessary as the Eagles have short midfield.

His 8 possession game had far more impact on todays win than any of Watts games up to the last 2 weeks. I did not see Watts yesterday so cannot comment but I still don't believe he has the desire to be truly great.

For their careers so far I would rate Hurley better than Nic with Watts trailing a long way behind. I am not saying that this is the way it will always be but it is hard to deny Watts has done very little so far.

Nicnat has less than 8 kicks in a game because he is a creator and loves to set his teamamtes with handball plus like many ruckman it is not his best asset. Granted Hurley and Watts are both elite kicks but Nic will hopefully improve.

All 3 clubs would be happy with the picks but if they were going for an elite power forward Hurley would have been a better option.

Sounds like the best 8 posession game i've heard of. Petterds 14 tackles (13 in the forward 50) on Saturday must be one of the all time great games if we judge by the same criteria.
You have already stated that you didn't watch the game so stop commenting on Naitanui's game or actually watch it and then come back and say what you thought of it. So tackles is all that counts now? Naitanui also had 17 hitouts and a goal not that it'll change your mind about his game.

We don't judge games by the same criteria. Only insecure twats with an agenda like yourself judge games based of stats and supercoach scores. You haven't seen the game, you are, by definition, arguing based on nothing but ignorance. Please stop embarrassing yourself, you're anti-NN tirade has been utterly pathetic and a true indication of your lack of footballing knowledge.

I did not see Watts yesterday so cannot comment but I still don't believe he has the desire to be truly great.

It was Watts' best game and he showed the desire that you, me and others think have been missing. I've always said that at worst Watts would be very good, but I doubted his physicality and appetite for the contest. I doubted that he had that manic attack on the footy in marking contests that the great players have had and I doubted whether he'd ever get it. Yesterday he had it. And it's truly the first time I walked away knowing that this kid, who was only a teenager 3 months ago, was going to be a star.

I first saw Watts in 2008 at the G when he kicked the winning goal after a great pack mark for Vic Metro. I've tracked him closely ever since. I saw the U18 carnival at Casey Fields where Vic Metro and Vic Country played Rich and Naitanui from WA and Hartlett from SA. I saw him win the Larke Medal at the Telstra Dome. I saw him play for Casey Seconds coming back from injury in his first year, etc, etc.

I've disappointed Melbourne supporters with some of my views on Watts. The class off both feet was undeniable. His speed for 196cms is extraordinary. His decision making and vision of what lies ahead of him is elite. He came second to Hill in tha agility test at DC. But he had two issues. He was poor in one-on-one strength contests due to his lack of size and he didn't show much of a liking for the physical side of the game. Imo, his game on the weekend was a watershed moment. He now believes and importantly, so do his teammates. He's still a baby, but he has the footy world at his feet. His junior Vic Metro coach David Dickson said that he was the best mark he'd seen in junior footy. Dickson coached Vic Metro for 10 years. We're now starting to see that side of his game. He has great hands.

The OP asks, which player would you want for the next 12 years. He doesn't ask who's been the most impressive to date.

Watts > Hurley > Naitanui

Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Jamar, Brogan and others were all rookie listed players. Naitanui will be a valuable impact player, but I wouldn't equate his skill sets as a pick 1 player and history has shown that there are other avenues to get quality ruckman.

For some reason I sense a bit of panic from certain Melbourne supporters when the whole 'Watts/Naitanui' thing comes up.

You could say exactly the same about a lot of WCE supporters, but I can't figure out why.

Naitanui was good yesterday. Not great.

Was brilliant in the ruck and a good defensive presence.

But he needs to affect more marking contests as a 200cm player, just my opinion of course, as well as putting his athletic ability to better use.

Outrageous talent, but like Watts is no where near what he could be.

You could say exactly the same about a lot of WCE supporters, but I can't figure out why.

Naitanui was good yesterday. Not great.

Was brilliant in the ruck and a good defensive presence.

But he needs to affect more marking contests as a 200cm player, just my opinion of course, as well as putting his athletic ability to better use.

Outrageous talent, but like Watts is no where near what he could be.

We have nothing to worry about, we didn't have the first pick. Nicnat might just be one of those freak talents, or he might not. At the very least it looks like he'll be pretty bloody good, one way or the other. Watts also looks to have a very bright future too, but ol' Nic might just be something else ...

At the end of the day I love watching him run around, and if the Dees and the Bombers feel the same about their respective players, there are no losers, are there?

We have nothing to worry about, we didn't have the first pick.

That's exactly right, which is why I can't figure out why it's almost exclusively WCE supporters who put Watts down. :cool:

Nicnat might just be one of those freak talents, or he might not. At the very least it looks like he'll be pretty bloody good, one way or the other. Watts also looks to have a very bright future too, but ol' Nic might just be something else ...

At the end of the day I love watching him run around, and if the Dees and the Bombers feel the same about their respective players, there are no losers, are there?

Nic may be something else, he may not be.

I would have money on him being a ruckman in the Cox/Sandilands bracket.

I love watching all three players play. Win for AFL.

Three very different players. All will be very capable of turning games on thier ear.

Watts to do it the most consistently, Naitanui to do it the most emphatically.

Love Hurley but athletically inferior to the other two and as a result more stoppable.

LOL, Watts leading. Who'd have thunk it last year or the year before, when the Watts hate was de rigueur?

The best thing about this thread, though, is the closing date. I reckon by 2025 we might just have a handle on who of the three was best. :D

My two cents - I voted Watts. But, then, I would, wouldn't I? I've been hearing comparisons to Hird being thrown around lately, and whilst I'd be loathe to give any imprimatur to comparisons with champions like James Hird... **** it, I can see it! Skill, class, poise... Jackie's got the lot. As many have said, a little bit of mongrel (which I think he's developing) and he'll be the complete package.

I think Naitanui next for mine. No slight on Hurley, who will be very good, but Naitanui just has the potential to be anything. His upside could be enormous. My only concern with Naitanui is that he might just end up being the super flashy but inconsistent player. But then again, he might not - well worth the investment in any case.

Hurley will be a terrific KP forward or back. I just don't think he has quite got the ceiling of the other two.

Three very different players. All will be very capable of turning games on thier ear.

Watts to do it the most consistently, Naitanui to do it the most emphatically.

Love Hurley but athletically inferior to the other two and as a result more stoppable.

please, one minute you Melbourne fans are saying Watts is not strong enough, now Hurley is not athletic enough.

simple fact
so far Hurley's best is much better then Watts best. yet Hurley has played nearly his whole life as a defender, just learning how to play forward now.
yet Hurley has still had better games then Watts at CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please, one minute you Melbourne fans are saying

simple fact
so far Hurley's best is much better then Watts best. yet Hurley has played nearly his whole life as a defender, just learning how to play forward now.
yet Hurley has still had better games then Watts at CHF.

I never said that Hurley is not athletic enough, just not on the same plane as the other two. For that reason the Watts and Naita have a higher ceiling.

Other than that I agree with you.

All different players, Watts the most versatile, Naita the best burst athlete and Hurley currently the strongest.

dont need to read this thread to know that Naitinui is the first pick.

All good players but Jack will never be as amazing as Nic nat.

He could change the game...Jack has had three acceptable games and nothing more.

I would say Watts' best performances have been close to/best on ground performances.

Hurley exactly the same.

Hurley's best performance is better than Watts' so far, but not by THAT much IMO.

Hurley's best performance is better than Watts' so far, but not by THAT much IMO.

Really? I know you like to agree with opposition supporters on points to seem impartial, but what Hurley game has been better than Watts' against St Kilda this year? Or Watts against Freo? Even against the Tigers he was given BOG by many journalists etc, and it wasn't even his best match to date.

Nairtanui has no footy brain, and his foot skills are the worst Ive ever seen.

Watts is the complete footballer.

Its a joke that they are even compared.

Really? I know you like to agree with opposition supporters on points to seem impartial, but what Hurley game has been better than Watts' against St Kilda this year? Or Watts against Freo? Even against the Tigers he was given BOG by many journalists etc, and it wasn't even his best match to date.

Watts was better against Freo and the Tigers than against the Saints IMO, but that's mainly because I loved his work up forward.

In terms of purely performance, his round 18 game against Reiwoldt last year, where he commanded the play out of the backline as well was a better game than Watts has played in context of the game.

It's hard to compare different games, but Hurley was a clear BOG for me watching that game.

Watts has been in the top 5 players on the ground 3 times this year IMO, top 2 twice. But last week Moloney might have just topped him and the week before I think Martin did.

If Hurley's best is better (which purely based on performance I would agree with), it isn't by much.

Watts has shown far more rapid improvement (he was coming from further back I guess) and a greater ability to impact games while still needing significant physical development IMO.

I also think that Hurley hasn't had a consistent period of performance like Watts has had in general over these last 7 or so weeks. Naitanui either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back