Waverley Park (VFL Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny enough todays news

That is what triggered by memory of the YouTube video.

I recall the hype in 1970 when the ground was opened and the plans for it to seat 160,000 people with two levels all the way around. The Grand Final in 1970 had a crowd of 121,696 at the MCG, so at the time a ground capacity of 160,000 for football wasn't an outrageous idea.

Springvale in the VFL played its home games at Waverly in 2000 and the VFL played its Grand Final at Waverly Park in 2000 also. So technically yes 2000 was the last match played their.

Thanks for clarifying that VFL Park was used by Springvale in the 2000 season and the last game played there was the 2000 Grand Final between Sandringham and North Ballarat.

I had no idea the ground was used after 1999.

Thanks for clarifying that VFL Park was used by Springvale in the 2000 season and the last game played there was the 2000 Grand Final between Sandringham and North Ballarat.

I had no idea the ground was used after 1999.
They also played AFL pre-season cup games there in 2000, as Colonial Stadium (as it was first known) was not yet complete.

Apparently they also found a few corpses in cars in the farthest reaches of the car park, who had never made it out in previous years.

Most were from the final game there in 1999, but the oldest were carbon dated back to the big Hawks-Pies game that drew 92,000 in 1981.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back