Waverley Park (VFL Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think mirvac specified no actual competitive games.

So the reasons hawthorn want to move out might devalue the sale price of the assett

There is sfa parking in the area. Even a local club level game would cause parking chaos

Interstingly, boroondara council has done very little with glenferrie in the ten years which have passed

Parking may be an issue there too. Used to hate parking in there because when the shoppers were out it was just insane

I think mirvac specified no actual competitive games.

So the reasons hawthorn want to move out might devalue the sale price of the assett
I wonder if Mirvac would want to re-develop the oval as further housing? If they have the power to say no to competitive football they ought to be able to do such.
Interstingly, boroondara council has done very little with glenferrie in the ten years which have passed
I have long wondered why Glenferrie is still standing – Swinburne is near but they do not have football teams I am aware of??

I wonder if Mirvac would want to re-develop the oval as further housing? If they have the power to say no to competitive football they ought to be able to do such.
I have long wondered why Glenferrie is still standing – Swinburne is near but they do not have football teams I am aware of??

Yer they do Div 3 of the VAFA, used to play for them in the day. They currently play at James oval or something like that now. We did play one season at Glenferrie in about 1996 (play but no train) but then Hawthorn whinged our once a fortnight games were wrecking their training oval...sooks...so we moved out after the one season. Not sure why they never moved back in after the Hawks moved to Waverley. It was great playing on a quality former VFL ground every 2nd week compared to the other crap grounds. Got belted by about 42 goals one day there and I though we played alright that day!!!

I believe the oval and grand stand are heritage listed.

The local hipsters use it as their local soccer venue:drunk:

But seriously the oval is about as large as a soccer pitch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Councils are very reluctant to rezone ovals

Once they take them over they basically become public parks.

What used to annoy me about watching games on TV from Waverley was the way the cameras were set up.. at every other ground the broadcast cameras were up top in the centre of the ground but at Waverley the cameras were set up on the half forward flank at the right of screen.. which made the goals look so narrow.
Also the poor lighting for night games.. those horrible old school mechano light towers haha. I do miss it though

100% correct. If the AFL had forged ahead at the time and increased capacity of VFL park then it would have buried the MCG. Premier John Cain had a long history with the MCG and had lights built at the MCG in 85 in order to counter VFL park.

Also, it was John Cain's father, John Cain Senior who forced the final decision on the site of the 1956 Olympics main stadium (back in 1954) and overruled the MCC who resisted it being used for the games. The MCC got a big shiney new grandstand and a significant upgrade for the 56 Olympics and the Cains practically became royalty at the MCC.
They might have.

As I have said all too often, for Waverley to "bury" the MCG they would have needed to demolish Murray Lonie's plan, fight the power of the Country Roads Board (abolishing it and removing from office all its officials would have been the best idea) and transfer all the money proposed for the South-Eastern and every other proposed freeway to a rail and/or tram link to the park and other overdue transit expansions. The trouble, of course, is that you would be a blind idiot to not know how vast the political power of the road lobby and how entrenched the lack of local interest in mass transit in the outer suburbs actually is!

Is it just me or did everyone hate Waverley until it was turfed as an AFL venue?

The whole time it was used everyone used to complain about it - Arctic Park, extremely hard to get to, poor atmosphere, rubbish public transport, s**t car park, seats with terrible views etc.

Then when it was dumped everyone started up the "Save Waverley" campaigns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back