Prediction Way (way way way) too early 2020 predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gidday all, now the trade period is done I feel it's time to turn our minds to making inaccurate predictions about next season. With that in mind, here's my guesses for top 8:

1. Richmond - 17 wins
2. Gws - 16 wins
3. West Coast - 16 wins
4. Hawthorn - 15 wins
5. Dogs - 14 wins
6. Mighty Brisbane lions (keeping my expectations low to minimise stress during the season) - 13/14 wins
7. Collingwood (hahaha hahaha) - 13 wins
8. Swans - 12 wins

And the wooden spoon will go to Melbourne, and for some reason everyone will be cool with that.

Unless we have a home game against the Tigers...you have to back us in as winning every home game. I will tip us for 16 wins
Hipwood to kick 50 goals
Andrews to win the B & F after having a season of switching between the forward and back line.

Really hope we win every home game, I hated hearing other teams songs at the gabba in the finals.

I reckon hippy gets 40 instead of 50, but only because I have cam and clugga both kicking 30 and there's only so many goals to be kicked in a season

I think it might be a difficult season for us. We'll get a lot more of those tough games like we had at the very end of the season, and some of the younger players still need to learn to fight through those.

Plus we'll probably get a few more injuries, so we'll be exposing a few more guys who didn't get much footy in 2019.

If we finish eighth in 2020, I reckon that's a win.

It'll be a tougher season but I can't wait. My pass mark will be to stay in the 8, I'll be happy to be somewhere 4-6th, and I'll be over the moon if we finish top 4 again.

I think it might be a difficult season for us. We'll get a lot more of those tough games like we had at the very end of the season, and some of the younger players still need to learn to fight through those.

Plus we'll probably get a few more injuries, so we'll be exposing a few more guys who didn't get much footy in 2019.

If we finish eighth in 2020, I reckon that's a win.

I agree in general, though I have a feeling I'd be disappointed without a home final at the Gabba so 6th or higher for me.

5th or 6th feels reasonable to me. Tougher fixture with probable back to backs against at least two of West Coast, Richmond, giants (who should be better next year with their players back) and likely less injury luck offset by natural development of our young blokes.

I say we end up 13-16 wins.. 4-7th

Tougher fixture talk depends on who drops from top 8.. Last few years been 3 teams missed out from year before.
Demons and Swans double last Oct when Fixture revealed looked a lot worse then it ended up being.
Where the Hawks where thereabouts.

Had this in another thread summarise key points on 2019. We did not have the super easy draw in 2019.
Of the 5 double ups against top 12. (10 wins and over)
Pies, Cats and Lions all played 4 top 12 teams in doubles. Pies 4 teams where all top 8.
Cats and Lions both had one double up in top 8 the Dogs.
GWS, Tigers & Dons: 3 top 12. 2 top 8 and 1 top 12 each.
Eagles ended up probably easiest draw of top8 sides. Played Pies twice and 2 double ups against top 12 (Hawks/Crows)
Dogs 2 double ups in top 12 both top 4. Lions/Pies.

Outside the 8.
Power and North 4 double ups against top 12
2019 doubles when released
1571277054182.png

Last edited:
I think 7th-ish is a reasonable expectation. Tougher fixture and improvements across the comp. mean that even the best performances will be hard fought to win as well as we did this year. Would love to be proven wrong, and would love to see a finals win. I have no doubt we will at least play finals. Can't wait, whatever happens though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finish- 3rd in the H&A, Premiers.

B&F- Winner > Hugh McCluggage, R/U > Dayne Zorko, 3rd > Eric Hipwood.

Leading goal kicker- Eric Hipwood 64.

Rookie of the year- Tom Berry.

Headline- Eric "buddy" Hipwood breaks out.

AA selection- Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Charlie Cameron.

I'm also tipping Dan McStay, Alex Witherden, Charlie Cameron, Jarrod Berry and Marcus Adams to have stand out seasons in 2020 as well as Ely Smith, Tom Berry and Toby Wooller to get a good amount of games in the seniors and show plenty.

Finish- 3rd in the H&A, Premiers.

B&F- Winner > Hugh McCluggage, R/U > Dayne Zorko, 3rd > Eric Hipwood.

Leading goal kicker- Eric Hipwood 64.

Rookie of the year- Tom Berry.

Headline- Eric "buddy" Hipwood breaks out.

AA selection- Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Charlie Cameron.

I'm also tipping Dan McStay, Alex Witherden, Charlie Cameron, Jarrod Berry and Marcus Adams to have stand out seasons in 2020 as well as Ely Smith, Tom Berry and Toby Wooller to get a good amount of games in the seniors and show plenty.

I reckon Jarrod Berry is going to have a breakout season. He looked fantastic before he had to sit out after having that cyst drained, reckon he's gonna take it to another level and throw his name in the ring as one of the best young mids next year

Last edited:
I reckon Jarrod Berry is going to have a breakout season. He looked fantastic before he had to sit out after having that cyst drained, reckon he's gonna take it to another level and throw his name in the ring as one of the best young mids next year
It will be fascinating to see where we play him. He didn't play a huge amount of inside mid this year which I thought may have been due to his interrupted year but now we've recruited CEY, I wonder if we think he may play more wing.

Finish- 4th in the H&A.

B&F- Winner > Hugh McCluggage R/U > Dayne Zorko, 3rd > Cam Rayner

Leading goal kicker- Eric Hipwood 52

Headline- Cam Rayner's Dusty like year

AA selection- Hugh McCluggage, Charlie Cameron, Harris Andrews.

I'm all in on Rayner in 2020, had a nearly year in his 2nd year, will take more marks, break more tackles and finish more goals with his improved tank.

Predict another step forward with a win in a final

Finish: 5th/6th
Leading GK: hipwood 55
BF: Neale
Headline: unstoppable (with image of neales contested possession stats with added coverage from CEY)
AA: Neale, Mccluggage, Zorko, Andrews

It will be fascinating to see where we play him. He didn't play a huge amount of inside mid this year which I thought may have been due to his interrupted year but now we've recruited CEY, I wonder if we think he may play more wing.

I can see him filling in both the wing and middle as a Mr fixit for the team. He has the size, versatility and work ethic to do well anywhere - very useful player to have

Hipwood to kick six in round one and announce himself as a force not to be messed with. He will then go in to kick 62 and come second in the Coleman next to Charlie.

Fixed it for you;)

Feel like Rayner will be our next forward to break into that 30+ goal range. Even with a year where he struggled at times he still managed 45 shots on goal but only 44% accuracy. Been a whipping boy for a few Lions supporters this year but next year I think the love will return. Gonna go early a predict breakout year for Cam.

I agree with the above jarrod berry to have a breakout season and remains to this day the only player to pull fyfes pants down for an entire 4 quarter effort.
Hodge is the better leader and was critical in the development phase but because he had lost his some pace had made the backline unbalanced so i think the defence gets better.
Midfield will get better.
Have concerns about forward line with your talls.

So about the same.

I agree with the above jarrod berry to have a breakout season and remains to this day the only player to pull fyfes pants down for an entire 4 quarter effort.
Hodge is the better leader and was critical in the development phase but because he had lost his some pace had made the backline unbalanced so i think the defence gets better.
Midfield will get better.
Have concerns about forward line with your talls.

So about the same.

Bez undoubtedly had an awesome day and was doing a superb job on Fyfe, but from memory Fyfe got injured in the second quarter and then Bez went to Neale.

Bez undoubtedly had an awesome day and was doing a superb job on Fyfe, but from memory Fyfe got injured in the second quarter and then Bez went to Neale.
Yeah your right(i had to check that) why do i have such a memory of berry kicking a few on fyfe and coming to the realization fyfe was being torn up. Who did berry play on after that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back