Wayback machine - Bont's first game, and what's happened since...

Remove this Banner Ad

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I'm a bit over some of the threads moving in a circular argument atm, and I just happened to re-watch Bont's jumper presentation on the weekend from his first game, so just for a bit of fun(!), let's take a quick look back at the arrival of a future star onto the AFL stage... and use it to segue-way into our next match against the same opponent.

Round 5, 20 April 2014, Docklands, Sunday twilight game - only 27,986 people showed up to watch the 10th placed Bulldogs coming off a 27 point victory over the Giants at Manuka in Round 4 host the 17th placed (and winless) Blues, who were coming off a 23 point defeat against the Dees at the G.

Interestingly, we wouldn't play the Blues again until R14 in 2015 (31 games before we faced the same opponent again) - so much for the AFL's 'fixturing'!

WB 3.3 8.6 12.8 13.13 91
Carl 7.3 13.6 16.9 18.11 119

Blues jumped us in the first quarter, kicking 7 - including 3 to Lachie Henderon(!) of an eventual 5 for the match, and 2 to Waite (of an eventual 3).
The only quarter we won was the third, by 5 points.

An equally new face was Patrick Cripps playing the second of only 3 games in his first season (weirdly his only 3 games in 2014 yielded a win, a loss and a draw!). Bont would go onto play 16 games in his first year, for 4 wins and 12 losses

Bont didn't set the world on fire just yet - 6 kicks, 0 marks, 8 handballs, 5 tackles - as a comparison Cripps produced 4 kicks, 1 mark, 3 handballs and 1 tackle. Neither of them bothered the scorer.

Brownlow votes went: 3 Murphy (Carlton), 2 Henderson (Carlton), 1 Gibbs (Carlton)

So, this is a game a little over 5 years ago - let's look at the teams:

Bulldogs:
Only 6 players are still at the club: Bont, Jong, Liberatore, Macrae, Wallis, Wood.
Dahlhaus, Higgins, Jones and Stringer are still playing elsewhere.
MBoyd, Gia, Minson, Murphy, Picken and Tom Williams retired as Bulldogs, and Tom Young was not kept on.
All of the rest ended their careers elsewhere: Cooney, Crameri, Griffen, Stevens and Talia.

Blues:
Still there: Casboult, Cripps, E Curnow, Murphy, Simpson, Thomas
Still playing elsewhere: Gibbs, Henderson, Tuohy
Gone (CBF working out how they are gone): Bell, Carrazzo, Ellard, Everitt, Judd, Lucas, Rowe, Scotland, Waite, Walker, Warnock, White, Yarran

Since round 5 2014 up to last round:
WB: Won 61 (4 finals) Lost 59 (so H&A record is W:57 and L:59)
Blues: Won 27, Drawn 1, Lost 89
(Blues have played one more H&A game this year due to our bye).

From 2014 to this year, we have been in the positive for wins in 2015 and 2016, and broke even in 2017.
Blues have not won more than 7 in a season, slipping as low as 2 last year, so no season returns in the 'black'.

Including R5 2014, Bont is sitting on 115 games, 59 wins, 56 losses, no draws, 110 goals (99 behinds), 1 flag, 65 Brownlow votes, 1 AA, 2 BnFs.
For comparison, Cripps (from his debut the week before in R4 2014) is sitting on 93 games, 20 wins, 1 draw, 72 losses, 44 goals (51 behinds), 2 spoons, 49 Brownlow votes, 1 AA, 2 BnFs, and co-captain this year.

What does all this mean?

I don't know, just felt like doing some pointless analysis, if anyone else can read any tea-leaves in that, let me know.

What I do know is it's a hell of a different story to the Bulldogs v Blues comparison of my youth!

Cheerio...

Since round 5 2014 up to last round:
WB: Won 61 (4 finals) Lost 59 (so H&A record is W:57 and L:59)
Blues: Won 27, Drawn 1, Lost 89
(Blues have played one more H&A game this year due to our bye).
Our H&A record is 57-58 because you forgot the 2015 elimination final loss (which was probably a blessing in disguise).

In only 5 years, the Bulldogs rebuilt and reached the summit only to crash back to the lower rungs of the ladder while Carlton have been consistently dreadful, but still managed to save their best for us a few weeks ago and may turn the corner under new coach David Teague.

But hopefully Carlton have gotten their good footy out of the way and revert back to being hopeless!

I was there for Bont's first. He was generally in the play and a number of times he did Bont things. You could see he was going to be an absolute star.

Our H&A record is 57-58 because you forgot the 2015 elimination final loss (which was probably a blessing in disguise).

In only 5 years, the Bulldogs rebuilt and reached the summit only to crash back to the lower rungs of the ladder while Carlton have been consistently dreadful, but still managed to save their best for us a few weeks ago and may turn the corner under new coach David Teague.

But hopefully Carlton have gotten their good footy out of the way and revert back to being hopeless!

Thanks for the prompt. Actually we’re both wrong. After R5 2014, we’ve played 116 H&A games, so I got that right. But you’re right, I did forget the 2015 final, so overall figure for R6 2014 up to end of R12 2019 inclusive is actually 61 wins (57 h&a plus 4 x 2016 finals) and 60 losses (59 h&a plus 2015 final). Cheers!

Was my nephews first ever game. My brother is a Blues supporter so we went together and the event warranted me buying the footy record that day to give back to him later in life.

Safe to say there is no way he will ever see that publication.

Was my nephews first ever game. My brother is a Blues supporter so we went together and the event warranted me buying the footy record that day to give back to him later in life.

Safe to say there is no way he will ever see that publication.

I have records from early games I attended in the early 70s - some of them have the 6 potential umpires in the centre match day pages crossed out or defaced, some I have defaced the opposition team list or ripped that section out! Being the amateur historian I am now, I’ve bought complete versions in later years, but kept the originals. I’m amused by the hatred I displayed as a 7-8-9yo!

(My opinions of umpires in general are unchanged though...)

So Cripps will play his 100th game this season and likely have a W:L ratio of about 22%

There will be some ridiculous offers coming his way in the next couple years and who could really blame him for bailing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back