Analysis Wayne Campbell resigns

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Leon said he was “rock solid” in August. Now Campbell will design according to fox sports. If the rift between players and him is correct, then it might be a good thing. But with JC and LW up for renegotiation, I hope we find a good candidate to replace him pretty fast!

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I agree, surely some good candidates would be attracted by the young talent on our list. I think the job security would be higher at Gws than in melbourne

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
He must of been an absolute dud at the job, but good mates with Leon. To have Matthews have to take over contract negotiations says it all.
Matthews was, supposedly, the one to look after the Kelly and Cogs contracts and was also knee deep in the beginnings of Jezza and Whitfield.

That plus the injury crisis that is under Campbells watch tells me that the friendship with Leon was all that saved him for this long.

I also wonder if part of the deals to re-sign the stars was to move him on.

Last edited:

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
SOS is a dead set mental midget, if we brought him back we may as well relocate to Blacktown and get Folau and Schulz back too.

My understanding is that there was tension about the Deledio signing. There is popular belief his body woes were known and ignored in favour of friendship.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
SOS is a dead set mental midget, if we brought him back we may as well relocate to Blacktown and get Folau and Schulz back too.

My understanding is that there was tension about the Deledio signing. There is popular belief his body woes were known and ignored in favour of friendship.
This doesn’t make sense when it sounds like the Hawks might sign him as a player coach.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
SOS list strategy = good

SOS draftees = average

Keep SOS at arms length from the detail and he wouldn’t be the worst

Also Tony Sheehan = highly imaginative

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We have a man manager in Leon.
yeah but relationships are the most important commodity in the industry. They are what estabilish and maintain culture, value and overall wellbeing. Doesn't matter that Leon has a strength in this.

Of course the role has other priorities. But at its core- relationships with the media, the board, player managers and the staff are critical

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So is this confirmed?

So is this confirmed?

No media release from GWS yet, Campbell just waiting for his new position at the Tigers that they are creating.

Think he is going to be Balme's other set of eyes around at Tigerland.
1573162662738.png

Last edited:
Back