Wayne Campbell Set to Depart the Giants

Good luck to him wherever he goes. One thing I really detest is the disrespect some blokes like he and Chris Newman receive.
Long time servants through a s**t period of time for the club. As a player Campbell was a very good player and doesn’t deserve some of the s**t he cops, where a Townsend or a Pickett are heroes.
Wrong/Right place Wrong/Right time is all.
Ripper post.
Wacca handled himself beautifully this Sept IMO
That tough week with Spuds passing and funeral whilst dealing with Toby Green media frenzy and Giants charge to the GF.
Was a very fine player and loyal servant for close to 300 Tiger games.
Respect.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
TBH when I watched him play (and I was a kid then), I thought he got a whole lot of possessions but never did anything with them.
Matty knights Paul Broderick and stewy maxfield we’re better players imo, not to mention freezer but he was cut down early unfortunately
Yeah.Dunno.I just have never liked him.No particular reason why.

Was under the impression that he hasn’t been that great at the giants and can be very polarising

probably a no for now due to we have the best footy boss in the comp but maybe down the track

Hard to judge the job his done at the Giants from the outside. Hard to argue with their track record on the field, making a GF despite the fire sale last year.

Was the fire sale necessary because Campbell didn't handle the cap well? Or was it inevitable, with all the gifts the AFL keep piling on them? Who knows.

I reckon he'll be a career "football industry" person, regardless.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Funny you say this. I always felt he was a very good mediocre player. No great skill but definitely someone you'd have in your team. Almost like he is just there because he has to be. I felt the same way.
Early version of BEllis! :think: ;)👍

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Funny you say this. I always felt he was a very good mediocre player. No great skill but definitely someone you'd have in your team. Almost like he is just there because he has to be. I felt the same way.
Had something going for him too play 297 games i guess.How s**t we were for the majority of the time played a small part.Yeah Nah dunno. :D

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
Good luck to him wherever he goes. One thing I really detest is the disrespect some blokes like he and Chris Newman receive.
Long time servants through a s**t period of time for the club. As a player Campbell was a very good player and doesn’t deserve some of the s**t he cops, where a Townsend or a Pickett are heroes.

I think a lot of it is tongue in cheek mate. I agree, he was a good servant of the club, but people saying he was no superstar or that they didn't connect with him as a player is all above board imo.

For what it's worth, i too thought he was a very good midfielder, but I wasn't drawn to him as a supporter.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Great player in a crap era

Would have been a superstar with better teammates

Hope he lands on his feet, but not at tigerland thanks
Lot of supporters with poor memories. Campbell may have started off a bit of an outside running player but for the majority of his career spent a lot of time in close with quick hands or the right spot at the right time. He might not have had the vision of Knights or the hands of Broderick but he won multiple B&F's (4 + 2AA's) by just doing the linking running and great work in close. Was a super smart footballer too, a bit like Grigg but a vastly superior player.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly , could be wrong so stand to be corrected ,,,,he departed Richmond coz dan Richardson got the gm of football job that combo coveted

Yeah, became umpiring boss late 2013 after Dan Richardson was appointed GM earlier that year.

Yeah, became umpiring boss late 2013 after Dan Richardson was appointed GM earlier that year.

IIRC, he made a pretty good fist of a s**t job. The umpiring boss is always on a hiding to nothing. But Campbell trotted out every Monday and explained the contraversial decisions, even admitted when they were wrong. Sad that the Monday explanation hasn't continued.

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I felt the same when posters attacked Kevin Sheedy GF week (perhaps for good reason, perhaps not, its just their opinion) Sheedy will always be a Richmond Legend to me personally regardless of his post playing career. I just never connected with Campbell, its not a bad thing.

I felt the same when posters attacked Kevin Sheedy GF week (perhaps for good reason, perhaps not, its just their opinion) Sheedy will always be a Richmond Legend to me personally regardless of his post playing career. I just never connected with Campbell, its not a bad thing.
I don’t get the Sheedy thing either. People think people have to stay connected to the club their whole lives, yet on the other side of the coin we absolutely love Dimma and he was absolute campaigner as a player.

Dragonfire

Senior List
Oct 5, 2004
Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
My strongest memory of Cambo is when he did his hammy while doing some sort of goose-step goal celebration.

It was his achilles that he did. Missed the rest of the year.

Likely to be at the top of the list of candidates to replace Benny as CEO when he gets Gills gig next year. Along with Jackson and Bowden

Back