This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Good luck to him wherever he goes. One thing I really detest is the disrespect some blokes like he and Chris Newman receive.
Long time servants through a s**t period of time for the club. As a player Campbell was a very good player and doesn’t deserve some of the s**t he cops, where a Townsend or a Pickett are heroes.
Wrong/Right place Wrong/Right time is all.
Ripper post.
Wacca handled himself beautifully this Sept IMO
That tough week with Spuds passing and funeral whilst dealing with Toby Green media frenzy and Giants charge to the GF.
Was a very fine player and loyal servant for close to 300 Tiger games.
Respect.

Lot of supporters with poor memories. Campbell may have started off a bit of an outside running player but for the majority of his career spent a lot of time in close with quick hands or the right spot at the right time. He might not have had the vision of Knights or the hands of Broderick but he won multiple B&F's (4 + 2AA's) by just doing the linking running and great work in close. Was a super smart footballer too, a bit like Grigg but a vastly superior player.
Wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.
Have a mate who used to absolutely hate Cambo, bagged him unmercifully.
One day we were playing the Dogs and Campbell was being tagged, the Dogs beat us easily.
Campbell was easily one of our best players and late in the last quarter he left his tagger panting at the Dogs HF line, ran as hard as he always did and made great position on our HF line... needless to say, random Tiger butchered the kick, Dogs rebounded and Cambo's opponent, who was bludging still, kicked the goal.
Mate went off his tree! "That's your man Campbell. Drag him. Should be dropped! Blah Blah"... haven't been to the footy with him since.

I don’t get the Sheedy thing either. People think people have to stay connected to the club their whole lives, yet on the other side of the coin we absolutely love Dimma and he was absolute campaigner as a player.

I don't think it's the fact that he moved away from Tigers but that he used our club when his coaching contracts at Essendon were up for renewal.
These sort of things aren't quickly forgotten. Never for some.

For Campbell some still have their noses out of joint because he quit and wanted to play at North before changing his mind. Was he captain then?

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Where are Jackson & Bowden now? They in positions that are heading in that direction?
No , I’d doubt that we’d only be shortlisting ex Richmond players to be future CEO of a 70mn business. More likely that there’d be a succession plan from within I’d think . Hope Benny stays for another 15-20y before he yearns for something different and try’s his hand at AFL

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Bowden was running AFL NT for a while, maybe not now. Was involved for a while though.

Jackson sat with Benny and Peggy during the 2017 GF and seen him a few times with the Board since. He is definitely on our radar
He’s globe trotting doing some interesting work in business psychology drawing parallels from competitive sporting environments. While I doNt doubt he has the right horsepower , he needs to get himself into an AFL club first rather than be parachuted Into a ceo role
Simply wouldn’t happen , we re too big to roll the dice like that

Last edited:

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
I don't think it's the fact that he moved away from Tigers but that he used our club when his coaching contracts at Essendon were up for renewal.

For Martin some still have their noses out of joint because he quit and wanted to play at North before changing his mind.
:p

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah.Dunno.I just have never liked him.No particular reason why.
Me neither, I remember when my brother had his 18th his mates went down to training to get some of the players to say happy birthday to him.
All of them were happy to do it except Campbell who came across smug and like it was a massive waste of time for him.
I didn’t like him before that but that cemented his douchebaggery for me

For Campbell some still have their noses out of joint because he quit and wanted to play at North before changing his mind. Was he captain then?
Not sure. Personally that stuff doesn’t bother me because the club has done it to players plenty of times too.
And as for Shesdy using Richmond for leverage was smart and they all do it.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t get the Sheedy thing either. People think people have to stay connected to the club their whole lives, yet on the other side of the coin we absolutely love Dimma and he was absolute campaigner as a player.

Think you would find, Danger, the opinions of Campbell on here by a lot of posters who change overnight if he was welcomed back into the fold in some capacity ... especially in 12 months time if we'd landed another flag with him on board.
And with you .. hated Dimma as a player.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
i'm expecting incoming, but always thought cambo was an arrogant character who didn't listen. don't want him back at our club.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
We don't need him back, he always played as an individual, not much of a team player.
You don't win 4 B&F's as an individual player. He won a lot in inside contested ball especially at the end of his career for a supposedly outside player. He was a smart footballer and would direct a lot of traffic out on the ground, then did the hard work as well. Always baffled me how under rated he was by supporters.

Haha well played.

We all know the story about Dusty. It was a gimmick by Ralph. He never had any intention of leaving for GWS or Nth. Even now when Dusty is asked his answer is very respectful to Nth.

Campbell properly quit. Don't blame him really given the basket case we were back then.

Back