Wayne Campbell Set to Depart the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like they are throwing him under the bus, the FIGJAM players not getting along with him. Tom Browne report though

Bet Wayne knew his cards were marked the moment Coniglio signed his new contract to stay with the Giants.

Was leading many media tips for a Brownlow one year can’t remember of the top of my head

Cambo was actually Brownlow favourite late in 1995. He had a wonderful year. He played for Victoria on the day that Ted Whitten did his famous lap of goodbye at the G. Cambo was predominantly an outside player, but his gut running was superb. Later on, he played off half back delivering the ball into Richo. I thought he was a great player. He was a fantastic set shot for goal too. He rarely missed. 4 Jack Dyer medals indicates just how good he was.

Cambo was actually Brownlow favourite late in 1995. He had a wonderful year. He played for Victoria on the day that Ted Whitten did his famous lap of goodbye at the G. Cambo was predominantly an outside player, but his gut running was superb. Later on, he played off half back delivering the ball into Richo. I thought he was a great player. He was a fantastic set shot for goal too. He rarely missed. 4 Jack Dyer medals indicates just how good he was.
Ere ere

GWS said their footy boss Wayne Campbell was ‘rock solid’. He just left the building

The club embarked on a wide-ranging footy department review post-season - not to make wholesale changes - but to identify improvement areas, albeit officially via a resignation.

One of these areas that was targeted for improvement was the key role of football manager, which Campbell held until this week.

His resignation is expected to be confirmed in the coming days.

GWS said their footy boss Wayne Campbell was ‘rock solid’. He just left the building

The club embarked on a wide-ranging footy department review post-season - not to make wholesale changes - but to identify improvement areas, albeit officially via a resignation.

One of these areas that was targeted for improvement was the key role of football manager, which Campbell held until this week.

These sugar coated things really piss me off

“Basically we told him we wanted to fire him but gave him the opportunity to pretend he was resigning”

The king of the 65-metre kick.15 metres in length 50 metres straight up. Pass.

Yeah, right on the money there. His kicking often (not always, but often) resembled a kid booting a balloon. They would just float through the air seeming to take forever to arrive at the the destination, by which time numerous opponents had found their way into position and were looking at their watches waiting for the ball to land.

Anyone who plays 297 games for this club IS a Tiger legend and I know he gave it all in his time at the joint and did play many fine games but I just never warmed to him. I might be (and hope) I'm wrong but there was always an air of "Well, I'm stuck with this rabble for now, might as well do my best until I can get out" about him.

Yeah, right on the money there. His kicking often (not always, but often) resembled a kid booting a balloon. They would just float through the air seeming to take forever to arrive at the the destination, by which time numerous opponents had found their way into position and were looking at their watches waiting for the ball to land.
LOL, pay that one! 👍 :p👍

No thanks.

Nothing against Wayne. I just always ask the following:

How would any appointment improve our Club based on current structure, resources and capability?
How would any football appointment impact our soft cap?

The answers are it wouldn't and we have no room in my view.

Haere Ra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1995 was almost unbackable favourite. From memory averaged 35ish posies a game back when a possession meant something
Just checked Footwire. He only averaged 23.8 disposals per game in 1995 - though, to be fair, he was 4th highest disposal winner in the league that season. I also noticed when I re-watched the 1995 semi win recently that the commentators kept referring to him as "the Brownlow favourite".

Just checked Footwire. He only averaged 23.8 disposals per game in 1995 - though, to be fair, he was 4th highest disposal winner in the league that season. I also noticed when I re-watched the 1995 semi win recently that the commentators kept referring to him as "the Brownlow favourite".
Nice to read Campbell was someone's favourite! 👍 ;)👍

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

"Campbell leaves a mixed legacy at GWS. The club appears on the verge of sustained success and nobody questions his care or work ethic, but some of his methods did not suit everyone and this ultimately led to his departure 12 months before his contract was due to expire."

You can never tell from the outside whether these types are going a good job. Sounds like not everyone on the inside thought so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back