Autopsy Wayne Carey: "Jack > Buddy"

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by cannot, Oct 3, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. ferrisb

ferrisb Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Wayne Carey is just like everyone else in the media.

Say something clever and people nod and then forget about it.

Say something stupid and the masses talk about you and your controversial idea ad nauseum.

He's just trying to drum up discussion, even if (or especially because) most people will think he's wrong.

adammania9 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. jc12

jc12 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    ahhahahahah you had to sneak hawkins in there didnt you? salty cats fan, hope you enjoyed that belting we gave you at the g

Rance2Mewtwo likes this.
  3. jc12

jc12 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    do you even watch football? did not even kick 40 goals?

Barry_Badrinath likes this.
  4. DrEvil_

DrEvil_ Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Wayne Carey: "Kelli > Anthony"

cannot likes this.
  5. Marlowe

Marlowe The 'M' is Silent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Gold City Royals
  6. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    Wayne cares just not about anything important. oops I just said something of detritus but wayne will know all about that.
    or would he know what the word means?

gosh I'm getting growly tonight. :drunk:

7. equiv_clearly

equiv_clearly All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Canucks, South Fremantle
    Buddy is a supremely better player, but he's a player without a home. He's like a massive winger/small forward.

He can't mark, so a third man up is particularly effective, there just isn't the space to move in the modern game's forward 50. When he gets a shot inside 50 often uncontested or from a free kick, he isn't a great set shot. So you play him up the ground and hope he wins the ground ball.

I've always maintained that if i was building a team I'd pick a traditional key forward (like a Kennedy) over Franklin. They bring the ball to ground, get small forwards into the game and provide structure.

Buddy might kick 60.50, his enormous goals are incredible, but it's also wasteful and your team becomes too Lance-centric.

Hawthorn lost a grand final with him, recognised the above issues and changed. Sydney has now lost two more with him. You can scoff all you want, but until that changes, them's the facts.

Mal12 likes this.
  8. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    said all along till it grinds your teeth into oblivion. timing was so wrong and I guess he might think that well money is one thing but we have the cups to prove it

9. Tiger2709

Tiger2709 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    Tell me you didnt put tubby porkins above Reiwoldt, oh my, you did.

Surely even you dont believe that

The others on the list I can except, Hawkins is not even close

Barry_Badrinath and Grockadoc like this.
  10. Jables

Jables Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
    Lance Franklin has played in 5 grand finals. 5. Truly a weight around his teams neck. Kennedy has lost all his grand finals while never scoring a goal, scoff all you want, but them's the facts.

11. go you pups

go you pups Hall of Famer

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
    Where's Lockett, Coventry, Pratt, Titus and Coleman?

Tiger2709, cannot and Dr Tigris like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. legend166

legend166 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I blame Adelaide for all this.

They should have to give us Rory Sloane as compensation.

cannot and Andrew Mc like this.
  13. Benny78

Benny78 Premiership Player

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Crow
    Lockett is obviously after Carey but before Dunstall.

The others however don't even rate as none of the records back then are in colour.

14. Xtreme

Xtreme Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Game, Set and Match

Sam Mitchell wouldn't get a game in any other team ? MYTH BUSTED
    Cyril wants to go home to the Tiwi Islands ? Myth busted

His party boy life style has altered his way of thinking common sense.

Jack Riewoldt is a premiership player but he's nowhere near the star power of the likes of Buddy, Jonathan Brown, Mitch Morton and Zac Dawson.

harrow90 and Dr Tigris like this.
  15. Rance2Mewtwo

Rance2Mewtwo Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    I'm with you, starting from scratch I'd pick Kennedy over Franklin for structure, which is basically the point Carey was making.

Franklin is a tall flanker mega star, but you don't build around him, which is why he's never played in a team without a Roughead or Tippett type next to him.

16. AG

AG BigFooty Gun

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    He's rated fairly imo. Very good key forward who had a few excellent seasons.

This year his role changed and the importance of tackling, creating a contest etc., became just as important as kicking goals. Probably not in the top 5 key forwards this year, so he's rated fairly I think?

MF likes this.
  17. Dr Tigris

Dr Tigris Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Sort of an interesting thread. The interesting thing to me is the lack of comprehension/interest in what Jack actually does for the RFC nowadays. Jack has to be able to mark and kick goals, so that oppositions mark him, double/triple mark him. The ball gets kicked to him and his job is to mark it if possible, but definitely not allow the defender to mark. He acts as a tool to cause ground balls and contests in our forward line. Most traditional KOFs, and even Buddy ( who isn't traditional) don't try and do that. Jack is also playing a defensive forward role, unlike most KPFs. And he is also playing a roaming.midfielder like role. So he has to cover ground to disrupt defensive structures, and create mismatches for Caddy/Dusty/Constanza, whilst ebign invvled in moving ht eball forward, helping defensively and acting as a 'KPF'. Buddy doesn't do that. Probably no other genuinely good KPF does this sort of job.

So, yes is Carey was saying that Buddy couldn't play Jack's role in the premiership side as well as jack does he's right. If he was sasying that Jack is a better KPF in a normal KPF role than Buddy he's wrong. And Buddy doesn't even play that normal KPF role. As a second forward buddy is the best ever (likely Hart could do it better, but he always played the first up CHF).

Most likely Carey wanted to get people talking about him, and to stake out a position that makes him worth paying $ for by the media.

Tiger2709 likes this.
  18. Grrr

Grrr Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    A few fine seasons!! He's a far better player now than when he won his Coleman's. He has never really had a poor season, I think kicking over 50 goals every year he has played. But his goal assists, tap ons, foot passing, body work etc brings team mates into the game like no other forward. I would have him over Kennedy because of his versatility. Also over Tex for the same reason. Daniher is tracking well but right now is not better than Riewoldt, although he might pass him.
    People also underestimating Franklin on here. Great footballer who's one flaw is that he doesn't pack mark. Is the most marked player in the league.

19. ZingerB

ZingerB Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    You're more than welcome to look up their stats. Franklin kicked 20 more goals, had 50% more goal assists, 3 possessions more a game, half a mark more a game this year. Franklin lays .2 less tackles a game which is about the only stat Riewoldt beat him in. The only times Franklin doesn't win the Coleman is when he is injured for a 1/3 of the season. Evidently, in 2012 Jack won the Coleman with 65 goals from 22 games. Franklin kicked 69 in 19 games that year. Its actually embarrassing that someone would argue that Jack is even in his league little own better than one of the all time great players. Not a little bit embarrassing, but, burn your computer and gouge your eyes out so you never infect the game with your stupidity embarrassing.

20. MinerBoy

MinerBoy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Other teams?
    Except Hawthorn did build around him....and climbed from the very bottom to Premiers in 4 years. And then won another and had a RU within the next 5 years.

branedotorg likes this.
  21. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap Que Pasa? Ole...

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Lakers,Inter,Man U,Subi
    Wtf is this. how did i not see this.

without a doubt the most stupidest thread ive sene here in a while and that is saying something considering the have results and crowd prediction threads days or even months before.

and wayne carey. get off the drugs.

22. Leather Poisoning

Leather Poisoning Moderator

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    nil
    If Wayne Carey started this thread it would be deleted and he would be red carded.

BigFooty has standards.

scaryness and branedotorg like this.
  23. equiv_clearly

equiv_clearly All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Canucks, South Fremantle
    I would try and rebut your brilliant analysis, but it would be a waste of both our time.

Instead I'd recommend googling 'straw man' and correlation vs. causation. Comprehension doesn't come naturally to everyone, but stick it out.

branedotorg likes this.
  24. cannot

cannot Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    i dont think he does drugs

just beer and protein shakes

25. charcoalchicken

charcoalchicken Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Stupidest thread i've seen in a minute, that's my thoughts and we've got 12 months of this dribble to look forward to, yay :$