Wayne Carey Says He Is Indigenous (or might be and might look into it one day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
435CE7FE-7194-4178-B861-1233730A9E2E.jpeg

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
How does this work? I’m 46yo and recently my Dad who was adopted found out his birth father was from Cyprus. I’ve got fair skin and red hair so never a consideration I wasn’t an ‘Aussie’…..

But now I know this there’s no logic to me saying ‘I’m a Cypriot’. It doesn’t worry me but it’s patently ridiculous to say I’m a Cypriot.

Maybe it’s my ignorance and Indigenous heritage is explained differently..?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Might be Indigenous. Might have been his dad scamming Centrelink.

I'd have thought any reasonable person would get a proper family tree done, maybe even a DNA test (more useful to identify relatives than ethnicity), speak to Indigenous elders and historians and then make a decision about whether they want to identify as an Indigenous person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
“Stunning indigenous claim”.

Yeah my grandmother said we probably had an indigenous person somewhere in our ancestry.

Front page news!

Yep. If you were not raised in the culture it is sort of hard to argue a person is indigenous, especially when they are clearly basically white.

I suspect if you go back far enough many of us have a lot of different races and cultures in us but if you were not raised with that culture it doesn't really count.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As bad as her deception was, at least she didn’t fake an accent like Hilary Baldwin.

I don't think it was a deception though, mostly just some bullshit that had been passed down through her family and accepted as truth. I have been told a good portion of my life that my family played a part in starting up Keens Mustard, and I am also vaguely related to the original voice over for the VB ad, and both could be true, but I have not researched it.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
How does this work? I’m 46yo and recently my Dad who was adopted found out his birth father was from Cyprus. I’ve got fair skin and red hair so never a consideration I wasn’t an ‘Aussie’…..

But now I know this there’s no logic to me saying ‘I’m a Cypriot’. It doesn’t worry me but it’s patently ridiculous to say I’m a Cypriot.

If you were living in Cyprus you might tell a few people. Up to you .

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think it was a deception though, mostly just some bullshit that had been passed down through her family and accepted as truth. I have been told a good portion of my life that my family played a part in starting up Keens Mustard, and I am also vaguely related to the original voice over for the VB ad, and both could be true, but I have not researched it.

At her age she should have know one way or the other. She got busted and retracted everything claimed going back decades.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. If you were not raised in the culture it is sort of hard to argue a person is indigenous, especially when they are clearly basically white.

I suspect if you go back far enough many of us have a lot of different races and cultures in us but if you were not raised with that culture it doesn't really count.
Quite a decent sized indigenous population in Wagga.
Double the national average as a %.
Just had a look on abs census data.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

U need to follow up the VB story...

Then report back in a month with findings 👍

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

You never lived in Cyprus.
Wayne grew up in and around indigenous folk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back