Wayne Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

****ing gun! Best player I've ever seen.. and by a fair way. Forget your Hirds, your Buckleys, or Voss. Carey is better then them all.

The amount of games I went to, just to see Carey play, it's amazing I didn't turn out a North supporter. :eek:

Did I just see a Hawthorn supporter praise a North Melbourne player?

Now I've seen everything.

Geez that brings back memories. One of the best videos i have ever seen!
Abou********e superstar who couldnt be beaten. Cheers danzan.

Definately the best forward that I have seen in my time and i'm no spring chicken.....he dominated week in and week out no wonder his shoulders were stuffed.

There's that passage of play against the Dogs and Whitten Oval - the 'Caarreey ..... LOOK OUT!' one.

Watch him. He's run probably 30m at absolute full pelt just to have a hope of making the contest, then spring at 'speccie' height but also for a good six or so metres to take an enormously tough and contested mark, lands like a ballerina, immediately KNOWS the goal square is vacant so rocks back and off two steps launches a 65m drop punt that splits the sticks post high.

All this happens in about five seconds of real time

As Pykie said, there's players who could do each individual part of that, but none of them the whole thing in one, and none of them with the authority he did.

I was at that game, sitting in the Dogs stand, and when Duck did that, I saw them all turn to each other and just shake their heads as if to say:

"What can we do against this bloke?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as greater mark he was in the game I still rate Gary Ablett snr (of course) the ultimate marker especially in his prime 87-94 was just like no other. For a guy who stood just over 6ft 1 was remarkable his hangtime and timing. But the Duck was certainly up there too.

And to think there are still some people who reckon Ablett was the greatest ever. No player in the history of the game won more games for his team than Carey - add the pressure of captaincy and playing the hardest position on the ground to dominate, you have the greatest player ever. There is no doubt.

Ablett's aerial work is much better than Carey's, esp for a player who is only 185 cm, essentially a midfielder in today's game. Ablett's ability to take speccies was unheard off in today's games. Most of his speccies are once a life feat for most of the players today but he did it regularly, that's how good he was. Carey though is much better allround and is characterised by his pack marking ability, ground work and ability to marshall people around him.

as greater mark he was in the game I still rate Gary Ablett snr (of course) the ultimate marker especially in his prime 87-94 was just like no other. For a guy who stood just over 6ft 1 was remarkable his hangtime and timing. But the Duck was certainly up there too.

LIke i've said b4, ablett is superior in terms of spetecular markings and freak goals, esp for someone who is 185 cm. But Ablett in term of allround abilities is not as good as Carey. Ablett is a selfish player where Carey is a leader who brings others into the game, ability like Michael Jordan.

Sorry for the bump but i got a bit nostalgic here :grimacing:

Despite his reputation and his shortcomings, it's still unreal seeing this dude play footy.

P.s. side note even though i doubt anyone reads this, the uploaders name is Rhys Prismall....God i remember when i thought he would be the next big thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back