Wayne Carey's Best 20 Players he Has Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

J Brown isn't even the best CHF of his era, lol, let alone the past 30 years if we ignore Carey.

Kernahan was a far better player than him.

Agreed - he's the most obvious player in that list who shouldn't be there.

Never thought I'd see the day Jonathan Brown is rated higher than GAJ but here we are. No Kernahan is strange and I don't get what "seen" means here, wouldn't he have seen the likes of Leigh Matthews whilst watching football when he was young.

List is mostly fair, two biggest standouts for me are
1. Ablett Jnr so low
2. Brown over Riewoldt and Pavlich

I'm a fan of Paul Kelly too, reckon he's underrated, but I'd also take Lenny Hayes, Simon Black and a fair few other mids over him.

Danger > Ricciuto
Fyfe > Kelly
Scarlett > Silvagni > Jackovich (Jackovich below Silvagni due to fewer years as elite player)
Brown's best > Pavlich, but Pavlich much more consistent than Brown - I think Pav added more to Freo than Brown did to Brissy or Riewoldt to St. Kilda over the course of their careers. Riewoldt would be above both if he could kick straight, especially when it mattered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget that Dunstall was always rated higher than Lockett during their careers and at the end. Such as the when all the Herald Suns journalists voted on the best players of the 20th Century in 2000 or when Mike Sheehan put Dunstall as the 5th best of all time.

Winning the goal kicking tally and the Sydney effect made Lockett the darling. Now few people consider Dunstall in the coversation of who was better, which is just the way things go with time.

Yet there's not a single north melbourne player on his list.

probably sour grapes

I would have Blight and Cable in my list but that's showing my age. Carey as well but obviously he can't choose himself.

Lot's of "could" be there North guys but no absolute musts.

Carey and Chris Grant had a few great battles before Grant was moved back to the forward line. Grant really was a beast of a footballer in those few years when at chb.

Spot on :thumbsu:, I was lucky enough to see the epic early 2000s clash at Docklands when Chris Grant was best afield when the Dogs beat the rampaging Bombers ... a masterclass reminiscent of the pre injury Jako, the attacking half back.

a wonderful list

JB lucky for inclusion. A wonderful player though.

I liked the Paul Kelly inclusion but Matera unlucky

Yeah Peter Matera is definitely the most glaring omission from that list. I mean consider that Judd is #5 on the list and many consider him on par with Matera as the greatest eagles player ever.

Glen Jakovich, due to injury, was an elite player for under 2.5 seasons. He can’t possibly be considered an all-time great IMO. Ahead of GAJ? Surely he’s trolling with some entries on this list?

Jakovich won best and fairest at West Coast 4 times (including B&F in a premiership team in 94).

Not sure how you can win 4 best and fairest awards if you are only elite for 2.5 seasons.

Not to mention that Jakovich debuted in state of Origin at 17 years of age, before he was even drafted to an AFL club.

I remember a game where Carey really got on top of Jakovich. Was full of confidence and up and about. They shifted McIntosh onto him and Carey couldn't get a kick.

Funny how that works, remember a clash at the G, the big SAVoloy gave Mcintosh a bath in the the first quarter, swapped with Jako at quarter time & Sav was virtually kickless from there.

In the early 90s opposition coaches tried to take him out of the play & that included the Duck & Hirdy.

McIntosh... what a player he was

Carey once said he was the strongest player he ever played against.

Plugger said that ... as well?

Jakovich won best and fairest at West Coast 4 times (including B&F in a premiership team in 94).

Not sure how you can win 4 best and fairest awards if you are only elite for 2.5 seasons.

Not to mention that Jakovich debuted in state of Origin at 17 years of age, before he was even drafted to an AFL club.

Agree but I still think Matera > Jakovich when you compare their whole careers.

He wasnt the dominating attack beast after the injuries, playing because the team needed him. Those who remember him of the late 90s dont remember him at his best.

He wasnt the dominating attack beast after the injuries, playing because the team needed him. Those who remember him of the late 90s dont remember him at his best.

True - but he was elite for a lot longer than 2.5 seasons as the poster I quoted stated.

I would agree. I would say they are both in top 3 Eagles of all time.
I think a lot of people remember Jako through clips of him out-muscling Carey and punching or marking, but forget just how attacking a player he was. I remember reading one year in the 1990s that Jakovich and Matera both led the league in bounces for that season, with an exactly equal number, and daylight to the next player. Jako was a bit like Scarlett and Roos in his run and carry and decision-making, and the way he would set up forward forays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back