Wayne Carey's indigenous heritage

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I thought so from day one.

Yeah, don't want to get into head measuring type territory, but sometimes when you see him it is just soooo obvious.

It's going to be funny when a million middle-class women start singing a different tune about him.

Because there’s potentially a million illegitimate father sons fathered by duck to these women?

Edit: half a million statistically

This is a fascinating listen.

That Duck is indigenous has long been known, but due to his relationship with his Dad, he's never acknowledged it.

Now he says he's keen to start finding out his history:

The speculation has been around for a significant period of time. Interesting to hear Duck finally talk about it. There’s definitely a stigma there and I do not believe it has anything to do with “being indigenous”. Ducks past, his mum, dad and brothers is not a pleasant history and would be tough for him to disclose anything. Im not going to draw to any conclusions as to any scenario in these circumstances.

If we lose Ducks boy to an NGA academy I will *in lose it.

It's going to be funny when a million middle-class women start singing a different tune about him.
I don’t think the issues “middle class women” have a problem with are going to be erased by any of this.

The speculation has been around for a significant period of time. Interesting to hear Duck finally talk about it. There’s definitely a stigma there and I do not believe it has anything to do with “being indigenous”. Ducks past, his mum, dad and brothers is not a pleasant history and would be tough for him to disclose anything. Im not going to draw to any conclusions as to any scenario in these circumstances.

If we lose Ducks boy to an NGA academy I will fu**in lose it.

Do NGAs cancel out father sons?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he doesn't live in a NA zone.

Cheers I didn’t know that.

Surely they need to change that rule

Wayne Carey reveals his belief that his family has ‘Indigenous blood’
Jay Clark
2 min read
June 6, 2021 - 5:42PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Wayne Carey has revealed his belief that he has Indigenous blood in his family.

Wayne Carey has revealed his belief that he has Indigenous blood in his family.

Wayne Carey has revealed his belief that he has Indigenous blood in his family, after he was nominated by Nathan Lovett-Murray as the best Indigenous player he’d faced.

AFL champion Wayne Carey has revealed he has long suspected he is Indigenous.

The former North Melbourne and Adelaide forward who is widely seen as one of the greatest players in the game’s history said his family was aware it had Indigenous ties on his father’s side but “had never delved deep into it”.

“I have discussed it with my brothers and my two sisters and my two brothers definitely think we are,” Carey said on Triple M.

Carey, who booted 727 goals across an illustrious 272-game career, said his cousins in Wagga Wagga identified as Indigenous and that he played in an Indigenous school team growing up as a junior in Adelaide.

Carey is considered one of the game’s greatest players. Picture: Anna Rogers

Carey, 50, is set to follow-up his family history with his uncle, potentially making him the greatest Indigenous footballer in the game’s history.

The superstar goal kicker said he would be “very proud” to be considered Indigenous and learn more about his family history with his three children.

“It’s not because I’m ashamed to be Indigenous or anything like that I’ve just never felt the need to talk about it (publicly), but I have had many discussions with a lot of the Indigenous players,” Carey said.

“I always got along very well with the Indigenous boys at North and other clubs, because they always joked with me (saying) ‘When are you going to tell the world that you have got Indigenous blood’?

“I have never ever wanted the attention of doing it or delved into finding out whether it was 100 per cent true or whether or not it was something dad was able to conjure up back in the day.

“But the fact my first cousins in Wagga are considered Indigenous means I probably should look into it.”

The issue was brought up on radio on Sunday when former Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray nominated Carey as the best Indigenous player he had played against. While it caught Carey off guard initially, it prompted him to speak about it publicly for the first time.

The revelation was made as the league celebrated Sir Doug Nicholls Round and the incredible contribution Indigenous players have made to the game.

Carey, a champion centre half forward, would be an automatic inclusion in the Indigenous team of the century, which was selected in 2005.

But Carey said he would feel uncomfortable depriving another player of the same honour.

“I didn’t want to take something away from someone else if I was considered Indigenous,” Carey said.

“If it was to come back that 100 per cent it was the case than certainly I would feel very proud to pass that on to my children.”

I believe it did change for top 10 players as of this year. Points cannot be used, however a pick can be. So if indigenous status comes over Ducks boy and is in a zone and the team has the pick. Then yep, could definitely happen

Rules changed for NGAs but not the Northern Acadamies. NA's can take anyone in their zones.

We already lost Blakey and on our way to lose Horse's boys as well.

Rules changed for NGAs but not the Northern Acadamies. NA's can take anyone in their zones.

Ohhhh far out that’s so unfair

They need to pull an Archie Perkins “I don’t want to play for any team outside of North Melbourne”

not without the guy's permission. bailey scott had his pick of 3 clubs and chose north. nick blakey had his pick of two and chose sydney. if the longmire boys want to play for sydney ultimately that's up to them, any of these guys could've chosen to go into the draft and end up with whoever wanted to pick them, if they so desired. luke mcdonald and tarryn thomas both chose to come to north, sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

not without the guy's permission. bailey scott had his pick of 3 clubs and chose north. nick blakey had his pick of two and chose sydney. if the longmire boys want to play for sydney ultimately that's up to them, any of these guys could've chosen to go into the draft and end up with whoever wanted to pick them, if they so desired. luke mcdonald and tarryn thomas both chose to come to north, sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't.
Yeah this, it's not a matter of one thing trumping another it's what the draftee wants to do. Marc Murphy could have gone to Brisbane father/son but chose not to. Bailey Scott and Nick Blakey made choices out of multiple options.
But NGAs are changing and clubs can't match first round bids this year, and bids in the first two rounds from next year. Not sure how much point there is to NGAs being tied to clubs if it's only for third round picks and beyond tbh.

Ohhhh far out that’s so unfair

They need to pull an Archie Perkins “I don’t want to play for any team outside of North Melbourne”

If a father-son player wants to play for his father's club, then that takes precedence over NGA or NA. It's the player's choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back