Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone here spoken to Milera? If you have you would notice he is quite immature. He comes across as a 15 year old. That's not putting s**t on him, just he is quite young and might take a few years to harden up.
There were a couple of players last night who squibbed it up. Out of our young ones, Knight, Crouch, CC are the ones who are hard at the ball and man. Atkins, Milera are still a little soft. That's why when the heats on early in a game they are non existent, but when it slows down and opens up they come out to play.
I thought he sounded like that because I'm old !!!

Has anyone here spoken to Milera? If you have you would notice he is quite immature. He comes across as a 15 year old. That's not putting s**t on him, just he is quite young and might take a few years to harden up.
There were a couple of players last night who squibbed it up. Out of our young ones, Knight, Crouch, CC are the ones who are hard at the ball and man. Atkins, Milera are still a little soft. That's why when the heats on early in a game they are non existent, but when it slows down and opens up they come out to play.

First season at AO I said hello to Charles on the Riverbank stairs after a game at AO when he was injured (IIRC) - all I said was I was looking forward to seeing him back on the park and he couldn't even look at me at that stage - let alone say anything. Milera is still at that stage IMO - shy, awkward and immature - as Charles was a couple of seasons ago. All he needs is time and confidence - talent and pace he has already by the truckload - and a bit of Eddie and Anna. (Great believer in getting around these kids early).

He comes from a very tight-knit family, it has been tough for him spending time away from them.

Seems strange as he was drafted to an S.A. club but I reckon there's something in it

If I were a selector, I'd give him the next couple of games to show something defensively and step up again like he did against Hawthorn. If he stays soft, we send him back for Brad/Menzel and give him stints in the middle, while also playing off half back. Allows him to get used to the bigger bodys around him, while also reading the play from halfback and gaining confidence hitting loose ball. May make him more accountable.

I think it should resolve itself with decent management. He has laid a few big bumps so he isn't scared of it, just immature and used too playing outside. Just can't let him turn into James Aish Mark 2

Last edited:
I think the issue is that Milera has gone backwards in his defensive game from last season. From memory he was a good tackler and often looked comfortable playing against the bigger bodies.
Perhaps he has been told to be more outside to gain more possessions. This was his main deficiency last year.

I noticed early in the GWS game he chose not to tackle when required. He was the same through the pre season so could be he is playing to an instruction. If so he just has to get the balance right. I certainly don't think this is from a lack of courage.

It's funny how things can change in a week. Last week I posted that I thought Knight could be the best of our young kids. A lot of people said that Milera was heaps more talented and would be a far better player. One week later and Milera could be a dud and Knight is a dead set gun lol.

I just watched the replay this morning and I concentrated on him a lot to see if my "live" opinion was right. I was going to open a "Where's Wayne" thread when I found this one.

To me, he looked quite lost last night. Many times he got caught just jogging into meaningless spaces between contests. I also thought his second efforts were non-existent. I reckon that his video review this week might be telling. Clearly has a lot of talent, and potentially a big up-side, but has a lot of work to yet

Knight has all aspects of his game in working order, which is great.

Milera is the better player.

It's awesome to see guys like that step up, Charlie and Crouch too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood this line of thinking. A player should be judged on whether he's good enough to stay in the squad, and then if he's good enough to be best 22. Once you're in the squad where you got picked becomes irrelevant. You're either good enough or you're not.
Because when you're pick 14 there are a lot of players you could have gone with, when you're pick 43 less so.
It's a more about our recruitment as it is the player himself. Sure, once you're on the field you draft number is irrelevant, but there is always bigger pressure on first rounders - and esp top 10 picks - because the club invested a lot of faith in him (and invested more than someone was picked in the 3rd round)

I think if you look at the kind of return we've had on speculative investments like Hartigan and Cameron and the time it took for them to grow, absolutely no reason we shouldn't give somebody like Milera the same time to grow. He's a super kick for goal, he's lightening quick and he can take a mark. This thread will be (I hope) an amusing artifact in 3 years time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you've got to back him in and get him the experience. Players don't really come of age until they've played 50 games.

In the mean time our midfield, for the first time in ever, has genuine pace from more than once player. That worries teams. Personally I think we'd be nuts to change it and get slower.

I think we'll find Milera just doesn't have the tank to do everything required at the level we all want yet. Gotta remember he's still very young, running both ways, laying tackles etc is not easy on limited preseasons. No doubt Milera will get there, just going to be erratic performances and just because he was a high draft pick doesn't mean he's just going to come in and dominate the way someone like Talia did from the start. Very different kind of role with different levels of fitness required.

A good comparison is Cameron, last year we got glimpses of what he can deliver but he lacked the tank to do it steadily. So far this year we're seeing a higher level of consistency in his game and no doubt next year he'll get even better. I'd expect a similar thing from Milera though of course they are different types of players but I'm sure you all get hte point.

I think if you look at the kind of return we've had on speculative investments like Hartigan and Cameron and the time it took for them to grow, absolutely no reason we shouldn't give somebody like Milera the same time to grow. He's a super kick for goal, he's lightening quick and he can take a mark. This thread will be (I hope) an amusing artifact in 3 years time.

Well it's a "we've had him for a bit over a year, how do you think he's going?" thread. No one from what I can see is bagging him, or saying we screwed up the pick, no one (or not many) are even saying he should be dropped.

Last night I think showed he has a few areas to work on (as you'd expect)

Well it's a "we've had him for a bit over a year, how do you think he's going?" thread. No one from what I can see is bagging him, or saying we screwed up the pick, no one (or not many) are even saying he should be dropped.

Last night I think showed he has a few areas to work on (as you'd expect)

Agree with all of that. He just needs time and a good team around him.

Agree with all of that. He just needs time and a good team around him.

And importantly the confidence of the club telling him 'you're our guy, we rate you, we're backing you in' and making an investment in him by giving him the games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back