Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Although I do think Milera has midfield potential, I would personally like to see him stay on the half back flank and potentially get in the AA squad or, if things really go well, the 22.

He really only found his feet back there half way through the season, and even as one of the biggest Milera advocates, I think he is best to stay where the game unfolds in front of him for now. Push Smith up to a wing or into the centre of need be.

In the 40 man AA squad.

Making the AA squad/team seems to be a 2 year prospect. 1 year to get noticed. Then another high quality year to make it in.

He will also need the coaches to leave him in one position long enough to really make it his own.

I dont think he will.ever be a pure stoppage player like Matt Crouch.

He could be the next guy in the chain after the initial stoppage. Hence his evasive skills and quick hands will be important as there is still congestion. But his hand and foot skills to move the ball on quick to targets further down the ground.

More akin to what I call an Attacking mid than Pure Inside Mid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's where I see him in the long run, in an in/out position where he's feeding off Matt Crouch/Greenwood/TBA (inside beast we'll need to draft to replace Greenwood in 3-4 years) and making the most of the serious amount of weapons he has. Can win the contested ball when he has too as well.

Something we truly need to develop into his game this year.

Although I do think Milera has midfield potential, I would personally like to see him stay on the half back flank and potentially get in the AA squad or, if things really go well, the 22.

He really only found his feet back there half way through the season, and even as one of the biggest Milera advocates, I think he is best to stay where the game unfolds in front of him for now. Push Smith up to a wing or into the centre of need be.

Smith is never moving from half back, we've missed our opportunity with that, and he's become too valuable in that position. Doubly so that he's had a knee reconstruction. Equally, half back is as valuable, if not more valuable then wing as a position..

I utterly hate the idea that you should let a kid settle into a position for a couple of years before moving them once they've shown they're up to speed. Got to make the move whilst they're young enough to have a lot of time to learn a position, and a coaching staff doesn't begin to overvalue their production in a lesser position. Letting them settle is just for blooding positions, positions you're willing to sacrifice in a lineup to get a kid accustomed to the top level.

If you want Milera to be a midfielder, he has to begin that switch now. I wouldn't even worry about being slow about it, throw him in at 70% midfield time round 1 with some half back moments when we want to rest Laird/Smith to give him some easy ball. He'll be fine, he has the tools, and now the confidence for it. You always have the option of switching back to half back in the middle of the year if he doesn't take.

Yeah Milera is the classy linkman between the inside and the outside. Has that elite evasiveness which he's obviously shown he can use to his advantage in a contested situation. The role also gives him more space to work with than as a pure inside mid (a role which won't suit him at all)

Sloane, Brouch, Mrouch, Greenwood as our inside mids - Gibbs and Milera as our 'linkmen'. I like the sound of that

Well I disagree with all of you.

For team balance reasons.

If we had two Wayne Mileras then by all means play one of them as a centre square midfielder.

We don’t. Our other wing options are Seedsman, Atkins and Mackay. I would rather have Milera on the wing ahead of Atkins, than Milera inside the contest ahead of Greenwood.

At the same time last year I said Milera must move to half back, for team balance reasons. This year he needs to play wing and half back, for team balance reasons.

Yeah Milera is the classy linkman between the inside and the outside. Has that elite evasiveness which he's obviously shown he can use to his advantage in a contested situation. The role also gives him more space to work with than as a pure inside mid (a role which won't suit him at all)

Sloane, Brouch, Mrouch, Greenwood as our inside mids - Gibbs and Milera as our 'linkmen'. I like the sound of that
Is that similar to what Seedsman and Atkins did for us last year?

Seedsman 7 contested 14 uncontested per game.

Atkins 6 contested 14 uncontested per game.

Is that similar to what Seedsman and Atkins did for us last year?

Seedsman 7 contested 14 uncontested per game.

Atkins 6 contested 14 uncontested per game.
I think Wayne can eventually have 50-50 ratio

I’d like to see Wayne and others do some mid time otherwise our midfield is too inside biased like Port

Well I disagree with all of you.

For team balance reasons.

If we had two Wayne Mileras then by all means play one of them as a centre square midfielder.

We don’t. Our other wing options are Seedsman, Atkins and Mackay. I would rather have Milera on the wing ahead of Atkins, than Milera inside the contest ahead of Greenwood.

At the same time last year I said Milera must move to half back, for team balance reasons. This year he needs to play wing and half back, for team balance reasons.
Jones a chance to get some games high half forward and wing also

Need high footy IQ for wing and endurance and he has both ( as well as kicking for wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Wayne can eventually have 50-50 ratio

I’d like to see Wayne and others do some mid time otherwise our midfield is too inside biased like Port
Pinch hitting - sure.

How far would you push it? Would you drop Greenwood & Douglas to create room for Milera and then have someone else on the outside say Mackay or Jones?

Would you push Sloane or Gibbs to the wing or half forward to create room for Milera?

I can see some of these options eventuating in a few years - but it seems unlikely this year. We need Milera’s line breaking and distribution more than we need his other skills.

Pinch hitting - sure.

How far would you push it? Would you drop Greenwood & Douglas to create room for Milera and then have someone else on the outside say Mackay or Jones?

Would you push Sloane or Gibbs to the wing or half forward to create room for Milera?

I can see some of these options eventuating in a few years - but it seems unlikely this year. We need Milera’s line breaking and distribution more than we need his other skills.
Yes

The only way we threat for a flag is to get past Dougy and Mackay and start playing Gibbs and Sloane in alternative roles at times like hawks Hodge Burgoyne and even Mitchell

Smith Laird and Milera is one too many offence based defender realistically - they won’t all thrive together , one will take a back seat

You don’t win flags by having 3 elite half backs

Yes

The only way we threat for a flag is to get past Dougy and Mackay and start playing Gibbs and Sloane in alternative roles at times like hawks Hodge Burgoyne and even Mitchell

Smith Laird and Milera is one too many offence based defender realistically - they won’t all thrive together , one will take a back seat

You don’t win flags by having 3 elite half backs
I said I’d prefer wing rather than half back

And I prefer him to keep his current ratio of contested:uncontested in that role

Suppose we will have to wait and see

I have feeling Milera will get a bit lost in the middle. leave him at half back where he can see the play unfolding ahead of him.

Haven’t read all 39 pages but has anyone yet suggested that with the new kick in rule Milera might be exactly the kind of player you want running straight out of the square?
Spoilt for choice there I think, Smith, Seed or Milera taking the kick ins would more than work.

I tend to think Smith will take them as he seems to prefer hitting the long (50 + meter) target as opposed to Milera.

Smith is never moving from half back, we've missed our opportunity with that, and he's become too valuable in that position. Doubly so that he's had a knee reconstruction. Equally, half back is as valuable, if not more valuable then wing as a position..

I utterly hate the idea that you should let a kid settle into a position for a couple of years before moving them once they've shown they're up to speed. Got to make the move whilst they're young enough to have a lot of time to learn a position, and a coaching staff doesn't begin to overvalue their production in a lesser position. Letting them settle is just for blooding positions, positions you're willing to sacrifice in a lineup to get a kid accustomed to the top level.

If you want Milera to be a midfielder, he has to begin that switch now. I wouldn't even worry about being slow about it, throw him in at 70% midfield time round 1 with some half back moments when we want to rest Laird/Smith to give him some easy ball. He'll be fine, he has the tools, and now the confidence for it. You always have the option of switching back to half back in the middle of the year if he doesn't take.
I agree. He showed enough this year to suggest he's ready for the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back