Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Keep him at half back, his rebound will be invaluable for this club. Same role McLeod played so brilliantly for us.

I agree

Wayne really started to find his feet in the back half of the 2018 season, his game is built for the modern running HB player and he seems like he really understands this role.

Would I like to see him move to the midfield one day, absolutely

however IMO there is a risk of doing this to early, I sense the club will let him establish himself as genuine and consistent AFL player at HB before eventually moving him to the midfield

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
How much of the preseason is Talia missing? I wouldnt get your hopes up on him coming on till much later in the year.

Its the one thing we have learnt over many many preseasons. You miss a chunk of it and your H&A season is screwed at least the first part.
Pyke mentioned the JLT. Obviously can't take that as gospel, but I don't think he'll miss as much pre season as you suggest.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
I agree

Wayne really started to find his feet in the back half of the 2018 season, his game is built for the modern running HB player and he seems like he really understands this role.

however IMO there is a risk of doing this to early, I sense the club will let him establish himself as genuine and consistent AFL player at HB before eventually moving him to the midfield

Yep spot on.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/54bc8dbe2296e10153c83057ff4abc8a

Nice JJ.

From the article: "Milera thrived, averaging 22.5 disposals, 5.6 marks and 6.6 intercepts from his final seven games of 2018 as he provided the Crows with excellent drive and efficiency off half-back. "

I have wanted to see him pushed up to the midfield throughout this season, but really, he should spend the whole season at half back. We have 4 top quality mids + Greenwood ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/54bc8dbe2296e10153c83057ff4abc8a

Nice JJ.

From the article: "Milera thrived, averaging 22.5 disposals, 5.6 marks and 6.6 intercepts from his final seven games of 2018 as he provided the Crows with excellent drive and efficiency off half-back. "

I have wanted to see him pushed up to the midfield throughout this season, but really, he should spend the whole season at half back. We have 4 top quality mids + Greenwood ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
This season I would play Milera, Smith & Laird mainly as half backs, with occasional run in the midfield.

This would allow us to use Gibbs & perhaps Sloane in stints across half back.

Gives us more flexibility.

Would like us to try Milera on ball fo a whole game against a lesser team for experience.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Nice JJ.

Last year we were s**t at centre clearances and this year centre clearances will be crucial. Yes we will have Sloane and Brad back full time which should help but you can never have enough quality in the middle.

And of all our midfielders, Milera would be the one likely to break clear and hit a target, again something which will be of major benefit with 6-6-6.

Midfielders are the real match winners and we need to know how good Milera can be there.

Mileras one downfall last year was his costly turnovers in defence, why put him in that position and in a position where he’s got to waste time defending? I’d rather see him as an attacking weapon.

Plus now we have Smith down back, we are going to have enough run back there and he’s a better penetrating pick.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Milera is probably the player I’m most eager to watch in 2019!

I want to see him do thing other players wouldn’t even know are things that can be done!

We saw the start of it last season, but Im desperate for more!!!

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Definitely saw flashes of his brilliance last year. I think he could be the best in the AFL in terms of a combination of strong hips and lateral quickness. And those 2 qualities alone make him a super player

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Definitely saw flashes of his brilliance last year. I think he could be the best in the AFL in terms of a combination of strong hips and lateral quickness. And those 2 qualities alone make him a super player
But this year we will have a new contender for the lateral movement...
#BringIzakBack

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last year we were s**t at centre clearances and this year centre clearances will be crucial. Yes we will have Sloane and Brad back full time which should help but you can never have enough quality in the middle.

And of all our midfielders, Milera would be the one likely to break clear and hit a target, again something which will be of major benefit with 6-6-6.

Midfielders are the real match winners and we need to know how good Milera can be there.

Mileras one downfall last year was his costly turnovers in defence, why put him in that position and in a position where he’s got to waste time defending? I’d rather see him as an attacking weapon.

Plus now we have Smith down back, we are going to have enough run back there and he’s a better penetrating pick.

All true. But he can do a lot of damage if he dominates at half back. He can be our QB setting up scoring from defence. But I would like to see him spend stints there, but on the whole I think we will have midfield pretty well covered. Cant really compare last year to what we should expect this year. Sloane was injured, out of form. Matt wasn't anywhere near his 2017 levels. Hopefully this year we will have all 4 of those guys in top form as well as Greenwood taking the next step. If that happens, then I think we can let those guys do the bulk of the midfield work. Use Knight as a defensive midfielder as needed. Still give Milera some exposure for 2020 and beyond, but hopefully like I said he can QB attacking plays from our half back line.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A gun.

I can see him play in defense with more stints in the middle this year. I really hope to see him going back to his roots and play as a midfield-forward sometime in the foreseeable future. He was doing some handy goal snaps in his first few games. Imagine what he can do now with confidence in his body and the extra endurance capacity!

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Unfortunately It's a little more than inconsistency, he is quickly becoming bit of a squib at the contest
7bdfeddf1ece7cdfb6d8ba281b8f12bb--simpsons-funny-the-simpsons.jpg

aab36a60be0059d90cd56fff12b45d8b.jpg

Wish I could find that bump gif

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

Are these the same spidey senses that told you Dangerfield was staying?

diligaf473

Club Legend
Dec 11, 2013
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chargers, WHU, AUFC
BOLD CALL; But - I think 2019 will be the first year that Wayne Milera makes the All-Australian squad.
I would like to think so, however, the usual protocol is for the Vic media to recognise him first, then and only then can the recognition and adulation flow. The Brownlow tends to follow this path too.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
We've had the likes of humdrum players like Mackay, Reilly, Shirley, Connell, Wright, Henderson, Symes, Eccles etc run through our midfield/wing positions over the years but Milera isn't ready for it? Really?
Lets hope he isn't the next Johncock.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
People underestimate how important a strong HB line is for us if they think Milera playing HB makes him a "lesser" player.

Having said that given his evasiveness and strong core, midfield is his future.

Short stints this and next year with 2021 being a full time mid when Gibbs retires.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure there is room, or even a need to be playing both Smith and Milera off half back. You do need 1 or 2 blokes back there defending.

Milera looks to me to be that next level prime mover. He has the game and now has the tank and body to drive the side.

Midfield for me.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure there is room, or even a need to be playing both Smith and Milera off half back. You do need 1 or 2 blokes back there defending.

Milera looks to me to be that next level prime mover. He has the game and now has the tank and body to drive the side.

Midfield for me.
Exactly. Our defence with Smith back there:

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Hartigan Smith

Sides are going to struggle to play the seventh defender now with 6-6-6, so unless Milera just becomes a rotation where does he fit?

With the new kick in rule Smith has to play defence, plus he has had a year out, plus Smiths turnovers are normally 50 metres away, Mileras were 15-30 which resulted in goals.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly. Our defence with Smith back there:

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Hartigan Smith

Sides are going to struggle to play the seventh defender now with 6-6-6, so unless Milera just becomes a rotation where does he fit?

With the new kick in rule Smith has to play defence, plus he has had a year out, plus Smiths turnovers are normally 50 metres away, Mileras were 15-30 which resulted in goals.
Precisely this. Milera to play wing and slot it at HB only for occasional rotations.

Midfield for me.

Especially with 6-6-6 coming in this year. You need more pure defenders now more than ever. Smith is not a pure defender, nor is Milera. Milera has to play midfield using his evasive skills on the outside to help win the clearances.

Back