Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
With these 6-6-6 starting position it becomes more important than ever to have really good ball users in the center to take advantage of forwards having space for those initial seconds after the bounce.

Bounce, tap, quick hands to Milera, two steps, bang, Tex on the tit.

With these 6-6-6 starting position it becomes more important than ever to have really good ball users in the center to take advantage of forwards having space for those initial seconds after the bounce.

Yup, even more so seeing the way that'll inevitably come about to counter it is a midfielder playing an over the top negating role, similar to what a defensive small forward does.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

And guys that can find them self a bit of space out of the stoppage - Matt Crouch feeding Milera wow

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bottom line is we have to play our best mids on the ball. Wayne should get to run through there in games a fair bit and if he goes past any of the incumbents then we shift him to a starting mid rotation. My hope is that we see career best performances from Brad Crouch, Gibbs and Sloane. If that happens then Wayne stays back on the half back line and does what he was doing at the end of last season. We really have to wait and see with this. It depends on how Wayne performs when he does get a run through the midfield, but also how those three incumbents perform.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can’t help but think Milera would be wasted on wing , I’m wanting to start him at half back but then unleash him to centre square midfield at various stages
I don't see why we can't play smith, Laird and Milera off the HB flank - they rotate off the field and they rotate further up the field as well.
They are all too good off there. Hell, one can run forward a bit and the 3 of them can link up together and get it to FF.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't see why we can't play smith, Laird and Milera off the HB flank - they rotate off the field and they rotate further up the field as well.
They are all too good off there. Hell, one can run forward a bit and the 3 of them can link up together and get it to FF.
You have to think that the wing position is going to be used as the 7th defender a fair bit now that the 666 is a thing.

Start on the square and then head back to play the sweeper role a kick behind play, move a HFFer to the wing to cover his run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
dont mind it but Milera could be a real game breaker and point of difference in midfield at times , like a Shaun Burgoyne

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Midfield circa 2023 could be

M Crouch
B Crouch
Milera
Knights
Atkins
Jones
McHenry

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Looks rather mediocre to be honest. And Brad Crouch will be 30.

Top pick this year for a mid will be required. Maybe Rankine comes back as well.
Brodie Grundy free agent?

Grundy
M.Crouch
B.Crouch
Milera
2019 pick 1/2/3
Rankine
Jones
Galluci

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I guess the one concern would be our defense would be too attacking. Especially with the 6-6-6 rule. For example if Hawthorn have Breust Wingard Puopolo up forward along with Gunston Roughead Ceglar, we could struggle for defensive matchups. Doedee would have to take Gunston, Talia & Keath/Hartigan would take the 2 other talls. That leaves Brown as the only recognised defensive player to play on 1 of Breust Wingard Puopolo.

Whilst it’s a concern, i’d still do it and see how it plays out. I definitely want to see Milera get some game time on the ball and on the wing. I also want to see Smith spend some time through the middle 3rd of the ground and i also reckon Laird can play some minutes on the ball.
We have so much flexibily with Laird Smith Milera Gibbs Sloane. All 5 can play across half back and through the middle of the ground.

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Midfield circa 2023 could be

M Crouch
B Crouch
Milera
Knights
Atkins
Jones
McHenry

Replace Knight with Greenwood (I reckon he could play until 32 yrs or so) and hopefully add this year’s pick 1-3 who needs to be a genuine mid (if we don’t get Rankine/Luko).

Looks rather mediocre to be honest. And Brad Crouch will be 30.

Top pick this year for a mid will be required. Maybe Rankine comes back as well.
Brodie Grundy free agent?

Grundy
M.Crouch
B.Crouch
Milera
2019 pick 1/2/3
Rankine
Jones
Galluci

That said, it's 4 years away so a lot of water has to go under that bridge. Lot more draft picks, lot more FA opportunities.

I would also have Jones/Gallucci in that midfield mix as well.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
That said, it's 4 years away so a lot of water has to go under that bridge. Lot more draft picks, lot more FA opportunities.

I would also have Jones/Gallucci in that midfield mix as well.
I forgot about Gooch.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Having got to watch him live in the Canberra game against GWS, I can only say... cripes. He is all sorts of good.

He must be the short odds for to have the massive breakout season of the comp.

Looks and plays like a gun - took good intercept marks in defence, lovely kicks. Will relish IMO the more open play.

(and lulz the fox commentators wondering if he was a lock for Rd 1)

The sky is the limit - AA team is prob too much, given the dumb selection process, but the squad is not out of the question. Still just 21, but has 43 games under his belt, so the time for "learning the game" "get 50 games into him" is over. Apprenticeship done, now show us what you have.

Now is the time to show if he is a match winner, and he looks like a fricken match winner.

I expect a few coaches' poll votes.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Having got to watch him live in the Canberra game against GWS, I can only say... cripes. He is all sorts of good.

Looks and plays like a gun - took good intercept marks in defence, lovely kicks. Will relish IMO the more open play.

The sky is the limit - AA team is prob too much, given the dumb selection process, but the squad is not out of the question. Still just 21, but has 43 games under his belt, so the time for "learning the game" "get 50 games into him" is over. Apprenticeship done, now show us what you have.

Now is the time to show if he is a match winner, and he looks like a fricken match winner.

He had a big finish in our B&F, I expect him to finish very high this year.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd

What I found interesting, is he was one player looked like he was barely even trying. I understand he kind of has that laconic, but silky movement about him anyway, but in both JLT he really looked like he couldn't give a stuff, compared to the body language I see from him in regular season games.

He's only just getting warmed up *rubs hands together furiously*

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I was also there and I agree completely. The thing that stood out for me was his flying successfully for critical marks: I hadn't noticed this so much in the past.

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
In my opinion he should be used off the half back flank primarily. Sure, give him bursts in midfield but i feel he is better when the game is in front of him to read, his intercept work is very very good and he can do alot of damage off the backline for us. Just my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back