Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Both hill boys and milera have that exceptional lightness about their feet / running style. Macca had it too, same with D White.
This is what I see too. I really like Milera. Smooth moving almost Macca like.
Stats don't mean a whole lot at times but just about every possession he had and effort made an impact. He just didn't blaze away. Great game from him.

Has anyone else noticed this about Milera?
He has the amazing ability to change his kick after he has dropped the ball to his boot. He simply changes his foot angle, bends his knee a bit or slows his foot movement to alter the kick, for something he has seen out the corner of his eye thats an even better option. He may go down as one of the best kicks I have seen. Early call but what I see now is just elite.

He is a brilliant kick, the only stuff up I saw him do was when he kicked a perfectly weighted pass to (I think Jenkins) a forward and he mustnt have seen the stationary opposition player whom was able to contest the mark.

Otherwise, torrential conditions, silk by foot and not a fault to be found in his game tonight. Brilliant.

Never doubted Wayne's skill set, impeccably gifted in that regard....what I have had are concerns about are his "hardness" at the contest and the ball, much, much better in that regard last night in trying conditions, in fact I think it's the first game from him I didn't see one contest where I would have questioned his hardness. :thumbsu:

Also first time I have noticed this year how strong his body is.

The guy will be a decent unit when he matures.
one of the first things I remember taking note of when the preseason photos started coming out were the size of Milera's thighs. Gave me very high hopes that he'd be a lot stronger in the contest this year compared to his first few games.
Never doubted Wayne's skill set, impeccably gifted in that regard....what I have had are concerns about are his "hardness" at the contest and the ball, much, much better in that regard last night in trying conditions, in fact I think it's the first game from him I didn't see one contest where I would have questioned his hardness. :thumbsu:
this was the standout thing for him for sure. Before tonight it would have been fair to be 50/50 either way trying to decide if he'd be going hard or shying away in those conditions but he was absolutely up for the contest.

could be a genuine breakout game for that reason alone. Obviously we don't need him in Thommo's old role, but my confidence in his ability to attack the ball
has gone through the roof and having that up his sleeve can take his game to the next level IMO.

Last night he seemed bigger than I've ever noticed - for the first time he didn't look like a kid
Must be loading up on the creatine!
Most young bodies 18,19 year olds don't go in too hard because they'll pop their shoulders out just from the one hit. Gibbs was soft as when he first started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think he has a long way to go body and strength wise.

Once this happens, we will truly see his worth.

His ceiling is massive I reckon.
Top 5 in the comp massive I think. Will end up a mid. Those saying he will only be an outside player don't see what his real strengths are. Imagine him with a Gary Ablett Jnr physique. Would be unstoppable.

Must be loading up on the creatine!
Most young bodies 18,19 year olds don't go in too hard because they'll pop their shoulders out just from the one hit. Gibbs was soft as when he first started.
I remember watching Chad Cornes in his first year at the Smears and he pulled out of some contests, such that I thought he would be a squib. He got his confidence and ended up pretty hard at it.

I never really bought into the Burgoyne comparisons, but after last night there's something to it, always thought Milera was a bit too outside, Burgoyne whilst exceptionally skilled on the outside, was still a clearance beast in short bursts.

Top 5 in the comp massive I think. Will end up a mid. Those saying he will only be an outside player don't see what his real strengths are. Imagine him with a Gary Ablett Jnr physique. Would be unstoppable.
I was thinking this last night. Strong body and long arms to create more space to work in.

No go home factor either. Unless Golden Grove get an AFL team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's never going to get that physique, purely because of genetics. Ablett had that type of physique from when he was a junior.

He's never going to get that physique, purely because of genetics. Ablett had that type of physique from when he was a junior.
Geez ,not sure about that, I seem to recall a pudgy little bloke sauntering around in the Geelong forward line gasping for breathe, at least that's my recollection of my first sighting of Gaz Jr in the AFL.

Geez ,not sure about that, I seem to recall a pudgy little bloke sauntering around in the Geelong forward line gasping for breathe, at least that's my recollection of my first sighting of Gaz Jr in the AFL.

It's easy for pudgy guys to put on muscle than super skinny guys in my experience.

He already had the stronger body build but not the tank, hence my comment, and your point about him not being able to breathe. Milera is exactly like Brad Hill as we noticed from them standing side by side. Brad Hill has not ended up looking like GAJ and he's had now many seasons in the AFL? Junior is never going to have that little round strong body shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back