Player Watch Wayne Milera

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wayne was great last week. Haven't been his biggest fan but beginning to turn. Liked that he was harder at the ball. Keep it up.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has Milera ever played as an inside mid? Watching the Freo game and he's a decent size for a second year player and looks to have the physique to put on some bulk.

He's a good height and he could have the body to compete in there and become a good clearance player.

Throw in his evasiness, speed and disposal, if he could add contested ball and clearances he could be a gun inside mid.

If Seedsman becomes injury free, wings of Rat and Seeds would free him up.
Not sure I want him to put on lots of bulk. I'm hoping for strength for sure, but want a lean Scottie Pippen type look.

Explosive power is what I'm hoping for which will give him the strength and speed but not impact his agility too much.

Once he gets confidence in his body, which he clearly doesn't have, I think we will see the true upside in him.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure I want him to put on lots of bulk. I'm hoping for strength for sure, but want a lean Scottie Pippen type look.

Explosive power is what I'm hoping for which will give him the strength and speed but not impact his agility too much.

Once he gets confidence in his body, which he clearly doesn't have, I think we will see the true upside in him.
I'd like a Danger body

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Just looking at some disposal efficiency stats (as you do)... after wading through reams of defenders playing chippety chip behind the play, unless my eyes deceive me Junior has one of the best DE in the comp, just behind Burgoyne (82%).

Either way, he's right up there at over 81%.

Good effort lad. Almost always picks a good option and hits it lace out.

Will be such a weapon as he matures

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just looking at some disposal efficiency stats (as you do)... after wading through reams of defenders playing chippety chip behind the play, unless my eyes deceive me Junior has one of the best DE in the comp, just behind Burgoyne (82%).

Either way, he's right up there at over 81%.

Good effort lad. Almost always picks a good option and hits it lace out.

Will be such a weapon as he matures

Yep, just needs to get more of the ball - when he has it he usually does something useful with it. If he can become a regular ~25 disposal kind of player with that efficiency he will be very damaging.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Personally I don't think he's ever going to be the player a lot of you are expecting him to be, happy to be proven wrong but time will tell.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Thought I'd bump this.

What are our hopes for Wayne this year?

Clearly Wayne is silk with the ball - this season he turned over the ball only 5.2% of the time - one of the best in the league - he ranks about 8th in the league for those who played more than 10 games and had more kicks than handballs (much easier to have a low clanger count with handballs - eg Clayton Oliver). The league average is around 9%.

So we need to get the ball in his hands, with Gibbs on board, and CC gone, it's time for the wing to be his.

BUT he has only just turned 20, still damn young - At the start of next season he'll essentially be the age Matt Crouch was at the end of the 2015 season - a point where he was certainly showing us what he could be, but was still a ways off being Matt Crouch All Australian.

However at that point we sure as heck knew what we had with Crouch - and we knew (well most of us lulz) he was going to be damn good.

So I guess my hope is by mid-way through the 2018 season I want to be having that feeling about Wayne - that "OMG, we got one here."

Now sure there are those who think we've already had that - and I do think he showed some nice flashes, but I think this coming season is more about shifting from potential to basically knowing, "Yep he's got it, now it's all about consistency/building the tank etc. (again, some might think he is already there)

What else do you want to see from Wayne?

More intent? More in and under - but would that be a waste? More tackles? More bounces? More goals?

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Thought I'd bump this.

What are our hopes for Wayne this year?

Clearly Wayne is silk with the ball - this season he turned over the ball only 5.2% of the time - one of the best in the league - he ranks about 8th in the league for those who played more than 10 games and had more kicks than handballs (much easier to have a low clanger count with handballs - eg Clayton Oliver). The league average is around 9%.

So we need to get the ball in his hands, with Gibbs on board, and CC gone, it's time for the wing to be his.

BUT he has only just turned 20, still damn young - At the start of next season he'll essentially be the age Matt Crouch was at the end of the 2015 season - a point where he was certainly showing us what he could be, but was still a ways off being Matt Crouch All Australian.

I'd like to see him involved for longer periods while he's on the ground. While he has done some good work, he disappears. This may be because he lacks
However at that point we sure as heck knew what we had with Crouch - and we knew (well most of us lulz) he was going to be damn good.

So I guess my hope is by mid-way through the 2018 season I want to be having that feeling about Wayne - that "OMG, we got one here."

Now sure there are those who think we've already had that - and I do think he showed some nice flashes, but I think this coming season is more about shifting from potential to basically knowing, "Yep he's got it, now it's all about consistency/building the tank etc. (again, some might think he is already there)

What else do you want to see from Wayne?

More intent? More in and under - but would that be a waste? More tackles? More bounces? More goals?

I want him to be involved for longer periods while he's on the ground. While he showed flashes of brilliance, he disappeared far too often. This hopefully is because he lacked the tank.
I'm not convinced yet that we have a footballer on our hands and hope to be convinced in 2018.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems to be in the running for whipping boy status judging by some.

I think some people resent the idea of a gold pass. I can understand that, but I personally think that if you can afford to hand out one to a promising kid then it can fast track their development and it benefits the club.

I think Wayne definitely had the benefit of the gold pass, although he did contribute as well. For mine he was ultimately one of our poorer performers for most of his games, but he was much of a muchness to Mackay, Seedsman, Knight and even Cameron at times. In the end he was the worst of these and rightly lost his place by finals, but getting those games into him was invaluable.

The way I see it, Wayne is in a better position now than Tom Doedee is right now. But both of these guys are essentially at the same stage of their careers - the beginning. No more gold pass for Wayne and both he and Tom now have to s**t or get off the pot.

Gallucci is next up with the Gold pass for mine :). He better make use of it because people will be wanting to hand that over to Fogarty sooner than later.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
With ball in hand he looks great. Without it, he needs to lift his intensity. Needs to chase / tackle harder when the opposition have the ball, and needs to run harder to provide an option when his teammates have the ball. He's not going to be an inside ball winner, so the only way he's going to get enough of the ball to exert any influence on his game is to work his butt off to get into space to be the go-to option once the ball comes out of the contest. Hopefully another pre-season will help him get closer to being able to do that on a consistent basis. He's only played something like 25 games, and I don't think you can really judge him until he gets nearer to 50, so he's probably got another 2 years before I'd start making really harsh calls about him as a player. But I do at least expect to see steady progress - he's past the point where you can pick him just to give him the experience and get games into him. There are a bunch of other players on the list who also need experience and games.

Banshee23

All Australian
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles / Grêmio / Strikers
Needs to play every game - fast track to 50. With CC out, he should slot straight in best 22 each week barring injury.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Seems to be in the running for whipping boy status judging by some.
There was time just about every thread could get de-railed with talk about how Matt Crouch couldn't kick the ball. Most good players get the torch on them - here's hoping Wayne is one who comes through and proves the doubters (of whom I have been at times) wrong.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Defensive intensity.

This is where Richmond suffocated us. Milera is quick and sharp and can provide a lift over most of the players currently in our team *if locked in*

This will keep him engaged in the game and will naturally result in more possessions, both handball receives from half back as well as the really damaging ones coming from turnovers he has helped force

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Defensive intensity.

This is where Richmond suffocated us. Milera is quick and sharp and can provide a lift over most of the players currently in our team *if locked in*

This will keep him engaged in the game and will naturally result in more possessions, both handball receives from half back as well as the really damaging ones coming from turnovers he has helped force

WTF (with respect mate)

If you think Wayne is capable of providing an improved level of defensive intensity you are going to be bitterly disappointed on what he's shown so far in that area....which has been 5 fifths of f##k all........and that's being nice. Wayne has some strong attributes, defensive intensity isn't on that list.

Personally I'm with Bicks on this, too many are blowing their load on what they're hoping he'll be.

Back