Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF (with respect mate)

If you think Wayne is capable of providing an improved level of defensive intensity you are going to be bitterly disappointed on what he's shown so far in that area....which has been 5 fifths of f##k all........and that's being nice. Wayne has some strong attributes, defensive intensity isn't on that list.

Personally I'm with Bicks on this, too many are blowing their load on what they're hoping he'll be.

"Turnovers he's helped force"........I can't wait to see that! :eek:

WTF (with respect mate)

If you think Wayne is capable of providing an improved level of defensive intensity you are going to be bitterly disappointed on what he's shown so far in that area....which has been 5 fifths of f##k all........and that's being nice. Wayne has some strong attributes, defensive intensity isn't on that list.

Personally I'm with Bicks on this, too many are blowing their load on what they're hoping he'll be.
Haha the old “with respect old chap you are a ******* idiot my friend”

Redleg Crow said what are we hoping for from him.

Defensive intensity is what I am hoping for.

Will it happen? Not sure. Hope so.

Haha the old “with respect old chap you are a ******* idiot my friend”

Redleg Crow said what are we hoping for from him.

Defensive intensity is what I am hoping for.

Will it happen? Not sure. Hope so.

If I wanted to say that I would have and have done so on a number of occasions to posters.

Take it for what it was.

I'm hoping for defensive intensity as well, but I wont hold my breath.

If he gets up to 20+ disposals a game (and 65% kicks) I won't worry too much about the defensive intensity. His job is to create.

That said, and tackle every now and then wouldn't go astray!

If he gets up to 20+ disposals a game (and 65% kicks) I won't worry too much about the defensive intensity. His job is to create.

His tackle numbers are typical of an outside mid.

I hope he can be a genuine two way player not just a handy outside mid. We’ve got too many one way players - forwards who don’t defend and defenders who don’t attack.

Is his ceiling Daniel Wells level? Influence games strongly with grace despite low tackling numbers?

Last edited:
I think some people resent the idea of a gold pass. I can understand that, but I personally think that if you can afford to hand out one to a promising kid then it can fast track their development and it benefits the club.

I think Wayne definitely had the benefit of the gold pass, although he did contribute as well. For mine he was ultimately one of our poorer performers for most of his games, but he was much of a muchness to Mackay, Seedsman, Knight and even Cameron at times. In the end he was the worst of these and rightly lost his place by finals, but getting those games into him was invaluable.

The way I see it, Wayne is in a better position now than Tom Doedee is right now.

This completely contradicts what you said in the Fogarty thread about people that hope Fog gets fast tracked being misguided and that you have faith in Pyke not going in that direction...

This completely contradicts what you said in the Fogarty thread about people that hope Fog gets fast tracked being misguided and that you have faith in Pyke not going in that direction...

No it doesnt. I said in the same post you commented on that I think the Gold pass should go to Gallucci next. I have faith that Pyke wont play kids that are not ready. I think Fogarty will get his turn when he is ready and not before. The sooner the better, but that all depends how he trains and plays pre-season and SANFL. When he is ready I hope we are in a position to gold pass Fogarty a handful of games too.

Needs to play every game - fast track to 50. With CC out, he should slot straight in best 22 each week barring injury.

Small forward isn't Milera's game.

Smith on the other hand being out means he's likely to be best 22 when fit.

"We suck, we have no outside silk"

Recruit outside silk

"He sucks, doesn't crack in hard in the contest"
This sums up this board perfectly! There are people on this board who are not happy unless they find something to complain about. The opinions of the board regarding young players oscillate to a ridiculous degree.

At the start of 2015, Jake Kelly was a dud. At the end of 2015, Jake Kelly was a player and big things are expected in 2016. He doesn't get a game in 2016, this board wants him delisted. He has a good 2017 and he is in everyone's best 22 for next season all of a sudden.

The notorious habit of this board is to talk up the young players to the point where expectations are ridiculously, unrealistically high. Once the player doesn't deliver, its time to dig in the boots and point out all sorts of flaws, call them duds etc...

Players, like any other person our there take time to develop and that is not something that can be done overnight. We as people develop over time. No one here was as mature at 18 as they were at 30. Players like all of us go through physical and mental development. Milera is only 19/20 years old. He will be a player. He is a silky outside type so asking him to do bullocking work is like getting a Ferrari and driving it at 30 km/h. It defies logic but those people that don't appreciate a Ferrari will point out the lack of space, fuel consumption and running costs as a major red flags. The car is not meant for that use. Just like Milera's role is not to crack in and get the hard ball. He is more of a Scott Camporeale than Paul Kelly. Both had cracking careers but both were very different players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a HFF ....not a small forward

I'm pretty sure he can do both ... his draft highlights video is him literally playing and kicking goals in and around the full forward line. To say it's 'not his game' is unnecessarily limiting.

Agree - needs to run and run and run on the wing - delivery lace out to the forwards or hitting a running mid through the middle is his go.

Milera if he develops has the attributes of Shaun Burgoyne. He has the composure and kick but it's a long long way to go to become like Burgoyne

Hope he can do it, but he's only 2 years in so no reason why he won't

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pretty sure he can do both ... his draft highlights video is him literally playing and kicking goals in and around the full forward line. To say it's 'not his game' is unnecessarily limiting.
Hmmm, personally I dont think he is a small forward at AFL level. Just isn't the manic tackler that is more or less required at the top.

From Milera this year, I would like to see more consistent games, more use of his weapons and ideally a hardening of his attack on the ball and man.

If we can statistically look at him getting 20+ touches, 3 tackles, 5 rebound or inside 50's and 400+ meters gained per game, we will be looking at Silk Burgoyne mk2

This sums up this board perfectly! There are people on this board who are not happy unless they find something to complain about. The opinions of the board regarding young players oscillate to a ridiculous degree.

At the start of 2015, Jake Kelly was a dud. At the end of 2015, Jake Kelly was a player and big things are expected in 2016. He doesn't get a game in 2016, this board wants him delisted. He has a good 2017 and he is in everyone's best 22 for next season all of a sudden.

The notorious habit of this board is to talk up the young players to the point where expectations are ridiculously, unrealistically high. Once the player doesn't deliver, its time to dig in the boots and point out all sorts of flaws, call them duds etc...

Players, like any other person our there take time to develop and that is not something that can be done overnight. We as people develop over time. No one here was as mature at 18 as they were at 30. Players like all of us go through physical and mental development. Milera is only 19/20 years old. He will be a player. He is a silky outside type so asking him to do bullocking work is like getting a Ferrari and driving it at 30 km/h. It defies logic but those people that don't appreciate a Ferrari will point out the lack of space, fuel consumption and running costs as a major red flags. The car is not meant for that use. Just like Milera's role is not to crack in and get the hard ball. He is more of a Scott Camporeale than Paul Kelly. Both had cracking careers but both were very different players.
You don't shirk the contest when the balls there to be won and it's your turn to go either which Milera blatantly did on multiple occasions during the season. It's one thing to be an "outside" player but when your the only player in the general area for the contested ball you go, it's a non negotiable. Mackay is an "outside" player and is still lightly built but you don't see him hang off a contest when the balls there to be won he puts his body on the line every time even if he comes off second best. The jury's out with me until I see evidence of Milera attacking every contest at 100% commitment. Rag me all you like until I see it to me he'll be just another highly talented player that's failed to live up to his undoubted potential.

You don't shirk the contest when the balls there to be won and it's your turn to go either which Milera blatantly did on multiple occasions during the season. It's one thing to be an "outside" player but when your the only player in the general area for the contested ball you go, it's a non negotiable. Mackay is an "outside" player and is still lightly built but you don't see him hang off a contest when the balls there to be won he puts his body on the line every time even if he comes off second best. The jury's out with me until I see evidence of Milera attacking every contest at 100% commitment. Rag me all you like until I see it to me he'll be just another highly talented player that's failed to live up to his undoubted potential.
Then you're seeing things that i didn't ....or exaggerating the incidents

Without trivialising what you're saying if i sat you down each week & watched a replay ......i could identify 7-8 players making weak & half hearted attempts

Still think you're being harsh on a 19 year old .......i'll point out for you during 2018 all the similar incidents for Berry ......and i can guarantee there will be similar to Milera

That's how I feel, 20 plus disposals a game will be deadly from Wayne. His disposals are quality.

Hmmm, personally I dont think he is a small forward at AFL level. Just isn't the manic tackler that is more or less required at the top.

From Milera this year, I would like to see more consistent games, more use of his weapons and ideally a hardening of his attack on the ball and man.

If we can statistically look at him getting 20+ touches, 3 tackles, 5 rebound or inside 50's and 400+ meters gained per game, we will be looking at Silk Burgoyne mk2
Besides that ......Milera's strength is running & breaking lines, and opening up the opposition with that baulking ....delivering elite foot-passes

Those strengths are lost completely as a small forward ......play the guy to his strengths

Without trivialising what you're saying if i sat you down each week & watched a replay ......i could identify 7-8 players making weak & half hearted attempts

Still think you're being harsh on a 19 year old .......i'll point out for you during 2018 all the similar incidents for Berry ......and i can guarantee there will be similar to Milera
Total bullshit, Milera has more natural talent than Jarrod Berry no argument but Berry is one of the hardest youngsters I've ever seen play the game and will NEVER shirk a contest, not in the past, not now, and not in the future, you seriously have NFI to suggest otherwise. And WTF has Berry got to do with how Milera plays the game, I'll tell you....ZERO.

You couldn't possibly pick two players so different in the way they play the game if you tried, one's a hard nosed, big bodied contested bull with elite endurance, the other a pacy, lighter built outside player with elite skills who at this stage shows a lack of any real hunger for the contested ball.

Last edited:
Total bullshit, Milera has more natural talent than Jarrod Berry no argument but Berry is one of the hardest youngsters I've ever seen play the game and will NEVER shirk a contest, not in the past, not now, and not in the future, you seriously have NFI to suggest otherwise. And WTF has Berry got to do with how Milera plays the game, I'll tell you....ZERO.

You couldn't possibly pick two players so different in the way they play the game if you tried, one's a hard nosed, big bodied contested bull with elite endurance, the other a pacy, lighter built outside player with elite skills who at this stage shows a lack of any real hunger for the contested ball.
Obviously hit a sore spot .......love it when relatives / family friends defend players

If you're going to besmirch a player, better ensure, when you say Berry will NEVER shirk a contest that he doesn't ......my experience is all players at some point have had a weak effort at a contest

The point is two people can look a players weak effort, one will not blink an eyelid ...whilst the other will go on social media & lambast a 19 yo

Don't tell me you haven't seen Dangerfield "switch off" and chase half hearted & not go as hard .......of course he has, but that hasn't defined his career, as it won't Milera's

No Wayne, he's seeing things that you're ignoring and you constantly make the excuse about his age. Sure he is still learning his craft but when its his turn he needs to attack the contest....player and ball.
He's not going to magically wake up one day when he's 26 and start doing it, he needs to do it now and it needs to become instinctive and an automatic reaction.

Lets not also make further excuses cause you can identify another 7-8 players that make weak and half hearted attempts......the discussion is about Wayne and what he needs to do to improve and more importantly what he needs to do to help improve the team overall.

How long to you want to give him to improve in this area? You said we already have 7/8....do we need another 19 year old doing the same thing?? So that when we get to another GF we end up with the same result as we did this year because we've allowed a culture of spectating.

He's 19, those bad habits need to stop and they need to stop now.

Lets call it for what it is, he has enormous potential, kicking/skill and vision is fantastic but he has some glaring deficiencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back