Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko loves chucking Shaunie into a centre bounce when he needs to win a centre break.

Sadly a great example is that Prelim.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep so Mitchell or Lewis can give it the quick dish out, but when you got two absolute hard nuts like Mitchell and lewis in the middle why wouldnt you give them the release valve in Burgoyne or at best they will make room for him

Yep so Mitchell or Lewis can give it the quick dish out, but when you got two absolute hard nuts like Mitchell and lewis in the middle why wouldnt you give them the release valve in Burgoyne or at best they will make room for him
The most contested possessions Burgoyne has had in a game is 19 and this year he was just under 50% for contested possessions.

I love this post

There are some footy fundamentals that are required no matter what role you play in the side and Milera at the moment is trying to play bruise free footy which puts the onus on his team mates to do his share of the heavy lifting

The other thing with Junior is he does have some weapons but he doesn't use his pace or skills to hurt the opposition

Not really offering much defensively or offensively ATM, hopefully this changes in season 2018
It's confidence as much as anything with him I think. Once he starts to feel like he truly belongs on the AFL field, he'll start to really use his weapons to hurt the opposition.

FFS once again ......you're defining a 19yo's career with 12 or so games of AFL ......get real !!

ALL PLAYERS HAVE A DEVELOPMENT CURVE .......you may have heard of that term ? ......last i heard most 18 year olds entering the AFL system are not the finished product ....although i could be wrong :rolleyes:

Just think back to the dialogue on Walker, Lynch, Dangerfield in their 2nd years .......i don't believe their performances defined their careers ......just dumb

Why is it that your reply's never address the actual criticism leveled at Jnr, rather you choose to make generalised statements that don't address the criticism I and others make about Wayne Jnr and where he needs to improve.............all while totally ignoring the areas I have praised him in. Which then leads to you.........the only person defining careers from comments is you Wayne.

No one has definitively defined his career so I'm not sure what on earth you are reading, rather highlighting his deficiencies which you are having a hard time distinguishing between the two.

Look, I have a real gripe against the really outside midfield types, but Milera is one I have a lot of time for.

He is young, and he seems very young of mind from all his interviews etc etc. I've seen glimpses of real attack on the man, which I haven't seen in the real soft squibs of the competition (Atkins, Masten etc). However he does need to improve this facet of his game, that can't be argued, but there is no point writing him off as of yet.

I think we will know by mid to late 2019 if Milera is on a path to being an elite midfielder. At the moment he has a bit to work on, but I'll back him in to mature into a fine player in time.

Guys and Girls, or Persons and Persons.
All this talk about Milera hardness is far too early to call.
Milera can play that aggressive role if need be. And I am basing that on watching Live, as a junior, playing of the half-back line.
He also proved this when play halfback for Centrals, in the finals before being drafted, I watched those games and he was not soft.
he was nailing tackles against fully grown adults at ease.

And yes the comparisons to Shaun Burgoyne could be very accurate, the early Burgoyne not the one everyone sees and remembers today.
After all it took him 3-4 years to start playing good football regularly.

Guys and Girls, or Persons and Persons.
All this talk about Milera hardness is far too early to call.
Milera can play that aggressive role if need be. And I am basing that on watching Live, as a junior, playing of the half-back line.
He also proved this when play halfback for Centrals, in the finals before being drafted, I watched those games and he was not soft.
he was nailing tackles against fully grown adults at ease.

And yes the comparisons to Shaun Burgoyne could be very accurate, the early Burgoyne not the one everyone sees and remembers today.
After all it took him 3-4 years to start playing good football regularly.
There are 2 discussions about Milera.

One saying he is not hard and that’s a concern if he stays that way, the other is it doesn’t matter if he isn’t hard.

Of course it matters, soft footballers kill you, but I believe Milera won’t be that and as he develops so will his hardness, it will have to.

One saying he is not hard and that’s a concern if he stays that way, the other is it doesn’t matter if he isn’t hard.

Of course it matters, soft footballers kill you, but I believe Milera won’t be that and as he develops so will his hardness, it will have to.
I'm seeing as 2 discussions about Milera too, but on a different take.

One form, people can see his potential and has patience for when his potential reaches its peak.

The others either can't see his potential, or think his potential have peaked at the age of 20.

I believe a fair few fans equate lack of apparent hardness as being "not good enough". Hardness will flow on from experience and confidence. Next year will no doubt be his defining year. All he needs to do is continue to improve at AFL level throughout the year, then he should be a regular 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got the hardness, but he is young and still learning, and goes missing in games again time will improve that, Crows have a good record at developing good talent he developing at a nice rate, he never going to be a tough inside player but more the thief type, he will put his body on the line, But ultimately he a receiver or thief. When I say, thief, I mean in a polite way. He needs to keep his feet for us to get the best value out of him. The breakaway speed with A grade finishing. So the Club is developing him that way, Maybe this year moves into a running Half Back role. As his game style is suited to that role.

Over his career about 40% of Burgoyne's possessions are contested, Gibbs for eg, is on 35%.

Bit of underrating of Burgoyne's ability to win his own ball. Also worth nothing we're talking a player who will walk into the Hall of Fame

FWIW Wayne is averaging about 28% contested possessions

One form, people can see his potential and has patience for when his potential reaches its peak.

The others either can't see his potential, or think his potential have peaked at the age of 20.

I believe a fair few fans equate lack of apparent hardness as being "not good enough". Hardness will flow on from experience and confidence. Next year will no doubt be his defining year. All he needs to do is continue to improve at AFL level throughout the year, then he should be a regular 22.
So you haven’t read the posts that don’t require him to be hard because an outside player?

He got the hardness, but he is young and still learning, and goes missing in games again time will improve that, Crows have a good record at developing good talent he developing at a nice rate, he never going to be a tough inside player but more the thief type, he will put his body on the line, But ultimately he a receiver or thief. When I say, thief, I mean in a polite way. He needs to keep his feet for us to get the best value out of him. The breakaway speed with A grade finishing. So the Club is developing him that way, Maybe this year moves into a running Half Back role. As his game style is suited to that role.
That’s where I want him to play this year

How could you get something so blatantly wrong from reading this thread??
I'd say exactly zero would think that, I've not seen a single person question the obvious talent he has in spades.

I'd say exactly zero would think that, I've not seen a single person question the obvious talent he has in spades.
I think Johnny only gets the jist when he’s started the thread.

Bicks. I normally agree with you on most things. But just because you haven't seen people question his talent, doesn't mean I haven't seen people question his talent. I am sure, and as you can imagine, there are people who would question potential talent for any given player. I'm not making wild allegations here.
Hardness will come with game time. My point was steered towards we should give him game time to develop his weapons, rather than judge him on hardness factor.

Bicks. I normally agree with you on most things. But just because you haven't seen people question his talent, doesn't mean I haven't seen people question his talent. I am sure, and as you can imagine, there are people who would question potential talent for any given player. I'm not making wild allegations here.
Hardness will come with game time. My point was steered towards we should give him game time to develop his weapons, rather than judge him on hardness factor.
Sorry I disagree, people question his intensity and his propensity to pick and choose what contests he fully commits to and his attack on both the man and ball at times....none of which suggests their doubts are based on a lack of talent.

Sorry I disagree, people question his intensity and his propensity to pick and choose what contests he fully commits to and his attack on both the man and ball at times....none of which suggests their doubts are based on a lack of talent.
You are making an assumption that I can't distinguish between the 2: people who question his commitment to contests and people who question his talents.
Also you are basically generalising on behalf of BF, and making an assumption everyone is in agreement of his talents!

You are making an assumption that I can't distinguish between the 2: people who question his commitment to contests and people who question his talents.
Also you are basically generalising on behalf of BF, and making an assumption everyone is in agreement of his talents!

Put up a Big Footy Poll on the Adelaide board if you're so confident............but be prepared to be embarrassed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back