lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Saw the notification come up on my phone about a 5 year contract extension and was hoping it was about Brad Crouch. But happy to see Milera locked away for 5 years. Looked fantastic in patches in 2018 so hopefully we can get him back to that form this season.
I’d be spewing if we offered Brad 5 years. Particularly on big money.

cmndstab

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 29, 2008
Ingle Farm
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very happy with this :thumbsu: He's one of the young guys on our squad with genuine potential to become elite.

I think you need to back those guys in, because if they work out then you've got them locked away, and if they don't work out then we're not going to be a force anyway so it's all academic.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
For such a quite and reserved bloke he seems extremely well liked by the whole playing group going by that contract reveal footage. Have we ever really done something like that before?

Maybe it’s a new thing Nicksy and co are trying to implement, getting around people who want to be here and play for the club.

Or maybe everyone just stoked to have Milera hitting them on the tit from all parts of the ground!

Footypie32

especias secreto
Sep 5, 2011
Nestled in Suzie Wilks' rack
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Mt Buller Demons
Not sure how anyone can be against the length of the deal given our retention issues. If you want talent to stay you have to back them in. Even if he never fulfills his potential I am happy we took the punt. It shows maybe, just maybe, we have changed our attitudes towards youth.

I also feel like Milera is the kind of bloke that will gain a lot of confidence from having this security. I'm stoked.

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
You wouldn't think this would be a large money contract either.

5 years is a lot but I'm far more confident than I would've been giving 4 years to Greenwood or Keath
Tredders seems to be of the opinion that he's now one of our highest paid players, while Bickley has said the opposite and said he sacrificed a bit of coin for the longer deal.

So I guess all we know is everyone is just guessing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d guess in the region of roughly 3m over 5 years.

Reckon something like that is a good deal for player and club.
The thing to remember with long deals is, by about year 3-4 the league averages will increase to the point where Jnr will be right back in the pack in terms of salary.

So even if he is on overs to start, he'll probably be on under's for the last 2 years of his contract, and that's if he only plays to his 2018 standard (which I think we all assume he will surpass).

Good deal for all!

skam85

lick the stamp and send it
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan, Hornets, Kimi Raikkonen
For such a quite and reserved bloke he seems extremely well liked by the whole playing group going by that contract reveal footage. Have we ever really done something like that before?

Maybe it’s a new thing Nicksy and co are trying to implement, getting around people who want to be here and play for the club.

Or maybe everyone just stoked to have Milera hitting them on the tit from all parts of the ground!
It always makes me happy when Doedee in particular gets around them on twitter.

Tex200

Cancelled
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Made me laugh when Blighty and Wilds were talking $300k initially, then Wilds pointed average wage is something like $380k and then they said, ok $400k then
Comical - I mean we’re all guessing but surely that’s not realistic.

I’m prob at the higher range but I would have thought it would be no lower that 2.5 over 5.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Tredders seems to be of the opinion that he's now one of our highest paid players, while Bickley has said the opposite and said he sacrificed a bit of coin for the longer deal.

So I guess all we know is everyone is just guessing!
The Bickley scenario would be the one I'd favour on face value as the more realistic especially after Tex's dig at his press conference re Wayne's partner Nina.

Sounds like wedding bells are on the horizon for Wayne.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is a bit of a strange one, happy with it, but would have expected Milera to go short term, back himself to elevate to the next level and go for the big contract sooner.

So I've got no doubt this is a healthy amount with a bit of potential factored in.

I suppose if he does really step up over the next couple of years he will just negotiate an extension at higher dollars over the last couple of years, and we all know that contracts are fairly meaningless, someone with a 5 year deal could request a trade next year and if not get it, get it the next year.

Mr_Moogle

Brownlow Medallist
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It always makes me happy when Doedee in particular gets around them on twitter.
I think there's a very real chance Doedee could end up our next captain. That would be a pretty good result for a guy who, when drafted, was greeted with Crows fans complaining that we didn't draft some bog average vanilla half back Ryan Burton.

Remove this Banner Ad