Player Watch Wayne Milera

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
My first reaction was...Why?
Dont get me wrong Millera has shown that he has talent but he is also very inconsistent. Hardly a candidate for such a generous term.

5 years seems a long time for someone who had a purple patch a couple seasons ago.

Perhaps this was shopped around to the player managers hoping it would show a new direction for the club and that the issues of the past with some players leaving or pre maturely retiring have been put to rest.

If his 2020 season doesn't match expectations then the club will look silly. So this is a gamble they must be willing to take.
Perhaps he has indicated that his issues were tied to the old club culture. That these issues have been addressed and now there will be nothing holding him back. This makes sense but not necessarily a safe bet.

The problem is these announcements are made without any detail. The only detail is the length of contract.
So we can only guess what the actual contract value is and the thinking behind it.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
We must be watching different players. Burton ain't quick. Not saying he's slow either but speed is not a standout attribute. He also doesn't play forward at Port Adelaide. Yes he's gotten on the end of a few chains and kicked a few nice long goals but that doesn't make him a capable forward. By that defintion Smith and Seedsman would be forwards too.
Take off your blinkers, Ryan Burton is an excellent young footballer and it's testament to his character, courage and determination that he's persevered after suffering such horrific injuries and to achieve what he has....end of story. Bar for his injuries and very real doubts on AFL clubs behalf re his future durability he would have gone very, very high in the draft, possibly even the first picked. Both he and Tom Doedee are fine young footballers and fine young men.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haha you just won’t quit!

Milera re-signing in 2020 after Pyke resigned and Burton and Campo sacked is evidence m that what happened under their watch in 2018 wasn’t so bad. FMD.
Sorry, I felt they got the sack because they didn't bring the results? Your inference about the Camp, would have made more sense if they all got the sack back in 2018.

Junior, being an up and coming indigenous player, is an important signing because we've had 2 departed (Cameron and Betts) and 1 had a premature retirement (Hampton) since the GF. Even if the Milera signing had nothing to do with a statement regarding the Camp, it still has an important implication that we are a welcoming club for Indigenous players. Which I think is an important issue, whether it is intended as such or not.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Junior, being an up and coming indigenous player, is an important signing because we've had 2 departed (Cameron and Betts) and 1 had a premature retirement (Hampton) since the GF. Even if the Milera signing had nothing to do with a statement regarding the Camp, it still has an important implication that we are a welcoming club for Indigenous players. Which I think is an important issue, whether it is intended as such or not.
...and CEY too.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's no coincidence the indigenous guys left, even if all had varying reasons for it.

Things did change for them but the damage was done.

There's a number of the guys still at the club so hopefully they can build the place back up and make it a happier place.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's no coincidence the indigenous guys left, even if all had varying reasons for it.

Things did change for them but the damage was done.

There's a number of the guys still at the club so hopefully they can build the place back up and make it a happier place.
Does this align with WMJ commenting on his belief that it’s time for him to step up?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
John Who read Eddies comments and then SFTU
Basically the same vague reporting as all the other McNure's articles. If he was so traumatised, why the heck would Betts play on with us in 2019?

And my point remains valid, if the Indigenous players are leaving us because of "bad culture", then why would Milera sign on for 5 years? Not a typical thing to do if you don't enjoy the environment where you're currently at, particularly at this particular lengthy contract.

You love reading things that fit in line with your narrative. Open your mind a little. If not, then stop quoting me from now. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Basically the same vague reporting as all the other McNure's articles. If he was so traumatised, why the heck would Betts play on with us in 2019?

And my point remains valid, if the Indigenous players are leaving us because of "bad culture", then why would Milera sign on for 5 years? Not a typical thing to do if you don't enjoy the environment where you're currently at, particularly at this particular lengthy contract.

You love reading things that fit in line with your narrative. Open your mind a little. If not, then stop quoting me from now. Thanks.
And there it is

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

John, our coach resigned, our GM was sacked, head of strategy sacked. That's a lot of water under the bridge. It's the largest shake up we've seen at the club in ages. Maybe Milera just likes the new regime and he wants to back them in.

5 years is a long time but he's rumoured to be getting married to a local girl so maybe he just wanted the security of a longer contract so he can start a family knowing he wont need to uproot himself and move. The club also likely saved some money by signing him up long term.

Nothing about this suggests the camp wasn't a disaster. Had he signed up for 5 years under the old regime, maybe you would have a point. He didn't though so I don't know why you keep trying to convince people the camp wasn't a huge mistake.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

There were direct quotes from Eddie. Seriously, and has been pointed out to you by others, the persons responsible for the camp are gone. Your point is completely irrelevant

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
John, our coach resigned, our GM was sacked, head of strategy sacked. That's a lot of water under the bridge. It's the largest shake up we've seen at the club in ages. Maybe Milera just likes the new regime and he wants to back them in.

5 years is a long time but he's rumoured to be getting married to a local girl so maybe he just wanted the security of a longer contract so he can start a family knowing he wont need to uproot himself and move. The club also likely saved some money by signing him up long term.

Nothing about this suggests the camp wasn't a disaster. Had he signed up for 5 years under the old regime, maybe you would have a point. He didn't though so I don't know why you keep trying to convince people the camp wasn't a huge mistake.
I don’t want to argue with you in a round about way. You have your opinion and I have mine. I have made valid points just as you have made in this quoted post. This is a civil conversation.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There were direct quotes from Eddie. Seriously, and has been pointed out to you by others, the persons responsible for the camp are gone. Your point is completely irrelevant
Don’t know if you’ve taken the hint, this year and beyond I’m not going to waste my time with you or others who show no respect. I have made valid points on Milera being of Indigenous background and that he was targeted for a lengthy contract not only of his potential but possibly also to erase some of the bad vibes in the past relating to our Indigenous players (rightly or wrongly). Don’t tell me to STFU for me coming up with a valid theory.

Do yourself a favour and don’t quote to me a Victorian news article. They mean SFA to me these days after the McNure saga. People pointing out the persons responsible are gone doesn’t mean jack all regarding a 3 day camp. You don’t think it was mainly to do with all the injuries for the past 2 years, and a s**t stagnant gameplan rebounding from defense? Anyway, believe what you want to believe. I honestly don’t care.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Don’t know if you’ve taken the hint, this year and beyond I’m not going to waste my time with you or others who show no respect. I have made valid points on Milera being of Indigenous background and that he was targeted for a lengthy contract not only of his potential but possibly also to erase some of the bad vibes in the past relating to our Indigenous players (rightly or wrongly). Don’t tell me to STFU for me coming up with a valid theory.
I don't think this is the part of your argument that people take issue with. It's the part where you argue the camp must not have been that bad because Milera signed up long term which is flawed for reasons that have already been explained to you.

Do yourself a favour and don’t quote to me a Victorian news article. They mean SFA to me these days after the McNure saga. People pointing out the persons responsible are gone doesn’t mean jack all regarding a 3 day camp. You don’t think it was mainly to do with all the injuries for the past 2 years, and a s**t stagnant gameplan rebounding from defense? Anyway, believe what you want to believe. I honestly don’t care.
McLure is a piece of s**t but you can't just hand wave away direct quotes from Betts or CEY because you don't like Vic journos.

I'd agree with you that our injury curse in 2018 would hurt our player retention but when the review happened, the players backed in our fitness boss Matt Hass. If they had been disgruntled by the handling of our injuries, I think he likely would have been sacked along with Burton & Campo. Also worth pointing out that hiring Saunders seems to have helped quite a bit with our injury issues.

The "s**t stagnant" gameplan they reverted to was because we were getting our asses kicked trying to emulate what we were doing in 2017. The players might not have liked the new style but the coaches hands were tied. They had to try something new as staying the course wasn't working and we actually got an uptick in performance initially before it all fell to pieces after the bye.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Shakes head

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Good news that he is staying but now a day's contracts seem to mean nothing for the player so I don't get too excited about the length of the contract.

It’s getting to the stage he might want to run his posts past someone before posting

I think he just likes the attention.

At some point people need to just start ignoring him, whether using the button or not.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
attachment.php

We still arguing about the camp? Get over it. A great signing.
It's not really an argument. It's just somebody trying whitewash the past because they're in denial and won't think critically about the club.

Last edited:
Back