Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

attachment.php
ahb-laugh-png.506378

click the gif to expand

John, our coach resigned, our GM was sacked, head of strategy sacked. That's a lot of water under the bridge. It's the largest shake up we've seen at the club in ages. Maybe Milera just likes the new regime and he wants to back them in.

5 years is a long time but he's rumoured to be getting married to a local girl so maybe he just wanted the security of a longer contract so he can start a family knowing he wont need to uproot himself and move. The club also likely saved some money by signing him up long term.

Nothing about this suggests the camp wasn't a disaster. Had he signed up for 5 years under the old regime, maybe you would have a point. He didn't though so I don't know why you keep trying to convince people the camp wasn't a huge mistake.

I recall the CEY camp thread was locked with John being smashed from all sides (even by non-Crow posters), and this isn’t the first time he’s dropped a subtle one-liner about the camp since then. One could hypothesise that he feels like there’s still some great miscarriage of justice that hasn’t been resolved which is what we’re seeing play out here.

We saw the same pattern with Marty carrying on about the drafting/non-drafting of Doedee/Burton-J.Scharenberg. Little snipes here and there in unrelated threads to try and see if someone will take the bait so they can launch into a diatribe on their pet topic again. Given how long that took to work through, we may still be hearing about how the 2018 camp was a supposed non-issue years from now.

With the main architects of the camp now gone from the club, most people will be able to view Milera’s decision to sign on in the appropriate context.

With this contract I like that we’re showing confidence in backing our younger players instead of what looked to be going on by favouring tenure and experience, and hopefully Milera can repay the faith and deliver the goods over the next 5 years. I get the sense that he’s a confidence player, so having that security should impact positively on his game. Don’t mind if we use him to setup play from the halfback flank, but think his class could be more damaging in a midfield role.

Don’t know if you’ve taken the hint, this year and beyond I’m not going to waste my time with you or others who show no respect. I have made valid points on Milera being of Indigenous background and that he was targeted for a lengthy contract not only of his potential but possibly also to erase some of the bad vibes in the past relating to our Indigenous players (rightly or wrongly). Don’t tell me to STFU for me coming up with a valid theory.

Do yourself a favour and don’t quote to me a Victorian news article. They mean SFA to me these days after the McNure saga. People pointing out the persons responsible are gone doesn’t mean jack all regarding a 3 day camp. You don’t think it was mainly to do with all the injuries for the past 2 years, and a s**t stagnant gameplan rebounding from defense? Anyway, believe what you want to believe. I honestly don’t care.
For someone who doesn't care what other people think you have gone to a lot of effort to reply and justify your position.

Don’t know if you’ve taken the hint, this year and beyond I’m not going to waste my time with you or others who show no respect. I have made valid points on Milera being of Indigenous background and that he was targeted for a lengthy contract not only of his potential but possibly also to erase some of the bad vibes in the past relating to our Indigenous players (rightly or wrongly). Don’t tell me to STFU for me coming up with a valid theory.

Do yourself a favour and don’t quote to me a Victorian news article. They mean SFA to me these days after the McNure saga. People pointing out the persons responsible are gone doesn’t mean jack all regarding a 3 day camp. You don’t think it was mainly to do with all the injuries for the past 2 years, and a s**t stagnant gameplan rebounding from defense? Anyway, believe what you want to believe. I honestly don’t care.
In Eddie's own words, the camp killed his love of the game which is so sad as he should have finished playing at AFC like he he said he intended to do before the camp.

The camp was an unmitigated disaster which destroyed the fabric of our club when we were in a premiership window.

Those mostly responsible have now left & hopefully we get the refresh we need to move on. Milera signing on for 5 years is a sign Nicks has changed the vibe of AFC.

attachment.php

It's not really an argument. It's just somebody trying whitewash the past because they're in denial and won't think critically about the club.
Well it’s about the future now. As much frustration I still feel with Chapman I realise the futility of worrying about it.

Guys just to put a bit perspective in the all the stories on how the indigous guys left the club because of the camp, these are the name brandy about that left the club and some that remained.
Cameron left before the camp, and the full true story may never surface. Happy partner happy life
Hampton retires due to medical reasons, full stop, vertigo being one issue.
CEY signed a 1-year extension after the camp, he left for better opportunities and a very good contract (overs perhaps) nothing more nothing less.
Eddie - game time, after being told the Club moving in a different direction. Happy Wife Happy Life, Twins and more Family support.
Davis signs a 2 year extension in 2019
Milera just signed a 5-year deal and was always going to stay.

Maybe we can blame the Camp but who cares it 2020, Let's just put the camp where it should be in the past.

Guys just to put a bit perspective in the all the stories on how the indigous guys left the club because of the camp, these are the name brandy about that left the club and some that remained.
Cameron left before the camp, and the full true story may never surface. Happy partner happy life
CEY signed a 1-year extension after the camp, he left for better opportunities and a very good contract (overs perhaps) nothing more nothing less.
Eddie - game time, after being told the Club moving in a different direction. Happy Wife Happy Life, Twins and more Family support.

Maybe we can blame the Camp but who cares it 2020, Let's just put the camp where it should be in the past.
Great post!

It’s more the damage it did to the playing group

Hallelujah to that. :thumbsu:

Probably your best post.

Good to see young players sign on. Have no idea what he is getting paid but generally if a good player wants a 5 year deal they accept a discount on market rate. Really want to see Wayne take his game to a new level and also get a bit more physical out there. Good to see he is improving his leadership within the club. Would like to see Doedee sign on long term next along with McAsey and Worrell. Club needs to back in young players with talent that want to be a part of success. I have no time for players (especially injury prone ones) that want to play games with the club and hold the club to ransom chasing money over success. These players need to be exited. Good cultures generally make negotiations quick, fair and painless.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see members with some perspective other than “players are leaving because of bad culture”. Davis and now Milera are important signings because of their cultural background, it does point towards us being accomodating for Indigenous players. How you link this with the past Camp would be your own call. I believe though it is still ok to talk about the past as long as there is particular relevance and to treat the topic with respect.

Also further to your excellent summary, we had important contract extensions at the end of 2018 (yes I’m talking about the past) which nobody seems to remember:
- Sloane signed on and now has become our current sole captain.
- Doedee also had a contract extension from end of 2019 to end of 2021

A lot seem to want to focus on the players leaving, yet rare mentions of the quality that is still staying.

- perhaps a statement that the Camp back in 2018 wasn’t as bad as it was blown out to be? Particularly as one of the main issue seem to be a cultural indifference between indigenous players (Betts and Hampton were hinted to be involved) and activities.

Nobody:

John Who: the camp wasn't a problem it was injuries trust me I'm a GP

Eddie Betts: "I can't agree or comment more deeply on it but that [camp] was one of the reasons or one of the main reasons why it was so hard to enjoy the footy," Betts said.

Now we've signed Milera to a long deal because he is indigenous.
Oh boy.

In Eddie's own words, the camp killed his love of the game which is so sad as he should have finished playing at AFC like he he said he intended to do before the camp.

The camp was an unmitigated disaster which destroyed the fabric of our club when we were in a premiership window.

Those mostly responsible have now left & hopefully we get the refresh we need to move on. Milera signing on for 5 years is a sign Nicks has changed the vibe of AFC.
Kane - 3 paragraphs that perfectly sum up the camp, it’s affects/results and outcomes.

Nothing more needs to be said

I recall the CEY camp thread was locked with John being smashed from all sides (even by non-Crow posters), and this isn’t the first time he’s dropped a subtle one-liner about the camp since then. One could hypothesise that he feels like there’s still some great miscarriage of justice that hasn’t been resolved which is what we’re seeing play out here.

We saw the same pattern with Marty carrying on about the drafting/non-drafting of Doedee/Burton-J.Scharenberg. Little snipes here and there in unrelated threads to try and see if someone will take the bait so they can launch into a diatribe on their pet topic again. Given how long that took to work through, we may still be hearing about how the 2018 camp was a supposed non-issue years from now.

With the main architects of the camp now gone from the club, most people will be able to view Milera’s decision to sign on in the appropriate context.

With this contract I like that we’re showing confidence in backing our younger players instead of what looked to be going on by favouring tenure and experience, and hopefully Milera can repay the faith and deliver the goods over the next 5 years. I get the sense that he’s a confidence player, so having that security should impact positively on his game. Don’t mind if we use him to setup play from the halfback flank, but think his class could be more damaging in a midfield role.
Don't name one name them all

Graham over pohlkoke even galluci for that or Hayward over galluci or Burton over doedee

Just trying to find out if our biggest problem is the go go.e factor

Really not that hard to fix

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like the part where he reminds me "This is a civil conversation" even though I've been arguing with him in good faith and keeping it pretty civil.

I enjoyed the "I'm standing up for myself this year and not responding to mean people" spiel

Followed immediately by responding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back