Player Watch Wayne Milera

I enjoyed the "I'm standing up for myself this year and not responding to mean people" spiel

Followed immediately by responding

The worry is that his view is that he's been shouted down before. Just how often would he have posted if left to his own devices?

Guys just to put a bit perspective in the all the stories on how the indigous guys left the club because of the camp, these are the name brandy about that left the club and some that remained.
Cameron left before the camp, and the full true story may never surface. Happy partner happy life
Hampton retires due to medical reasons, full stop, vertigo being one issue.
CEY signed a 1-year extension after the camp, he left for better opportunities and a very good contract (overs perhaps) nothing more nothing less.
Eddie - game time, after being told the Club moving in a different direction. Happy Wife Happy Life, Twins and more Family support.
Davis signs a 2 year extension in 2019
Milera just signed a 5-year deal and was always going to stay.

Maybe we can blame the Camp but who cares it 2020, Let's just put the camp where it should be in the past.

Pretty much. It's happened. The damage has been done, but we've closed that book with getting rid of the main instigators.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
It’s more the damage it did to the playing group
You'd probably find the weight of expectations coming off a GF appearance (especially in a town like Adelaide where everyone is up in your business), and spending 2 years dealing with a clueless coaching staff who decided to go 180 from everything that made the team good caused just as much, or even more damage. Half the team admitted they crapped their pants for the big day, so I may not be a total surprise to learn those same guys may buckle a bit when the "OK, you made a GF, now we expect you to get back there again" expectations are on you again and again.

As Eddie said, they were wracking their heads trying to fix it and it's not working, everyone gets frustrated, even more so when the L's start hitting. Throw in poor communication, getting dropped, being told you might not be in the future plans, or course a guy isn't going to enjoy that environment.

I'm not writing the camp off at all, I've said my piece about that, but it wasn't just an isolated incident, it's just the first slice of the s**t pie we served up in 2018 and 2019.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry, I felt they got the sack because they didn't bring the results? Your inference about the Camp, would have made more sense if they all got the sack back in 2018.

Junior, being an up and coming indigenous player, is an important signing because we've had 2 departed (Cameron and Betts) and 1 had a premature retirement (Hampton) since the GF. Even if the Milera signing had nothing to do with a statement regarding the Camp, it still has an important implication that we are a welcoming club for Indigenous players. Which I think is an important issue, whether it is intended as such or not.

They got the sack because they created a toxic culture. The camp was them isolating themselves from any responsibility and letting the players know that they blamed their mental state entirely. And it went downhill hill from there.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
John, our coach resigned, our GM was sacked, head of strategy sacked. That's a lot of water under the bridge. It's the largest shake up we've seen at the club in ages. Maybe Milera just likes the new regime and he wants to back them in.

5 years is a long time but he's rumoured to be getting married to a local girl so maybe he just wanted the security of a longer contract so he can start a family knowing he wont need to uproot himself and move. The club also likely saved some money by signing him up long term.

Nothing about this suggests the camp wasn't a disaster. Had he signed up for 5 years under the old regime, maybe you would have a point. He didn't though so I don't know why you keep trying to convince people the camp wasn't a huge mistake.

Would think that shake up would be monumental at any club, not just ours that historically holds on to sub-average people for way too long. Head of footy, senior coach and senior assistant/HoS all shown the door in the same offseason. I can’t recall anything similar occurring in my time taking notice. And this from a board culture that hailed the return of the Triggster. Although, we know the board wouldn’t have acted on our 3 blind mice if not forced.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just checked on his bio, he’s still only 23! With that evergrowing beard, I thought he was around 26-27.

This would have been a year we needed some of his genuine class and speed. We don’t have many players that have both attributes right now.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thought I read someone suggesting he would have a delayed return to the pre season - hoping that's not the case with this.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Thought I read someone suggesting he would have a delayed return to the pre season - hoping that's not the case with this.
Probably a week or 2, but the fact he's straight-line running is good

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

Yep, not in full training til the new year.

“Milera’s training loads will be managed prior to Christmas with the goal of joining full training in early 2022.”

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I opened this thread after 11 games (probably far too early) with this comment:

"I'm not seeing top level skill, run or determination. He's clearly not a dud, but he's a first round pick and needs to judged by that level. And right at the moment I feel like his game is a bit... nothing."

Tbh I think I could write that now after 69 game.

Is it a case of:

1) Hey he was out for a long time, give him some time.
2) He was going to be really goood, but the injury has cut him down
3) He is what he always was.

Back