Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

He was probably the most substantial acquisition out of the trade/draft period where Dangerfield exited. He's naturally going to cop a lot of attention (Most of which should be on the club instead tbh)

He's also a very outside player, and people don't seem to understand that.

I keep reading about his pace, is he actually quick ?

I was wondering that too. After the match they interviewed Betts and asked about Cameron and he said that they try to create space for Cameron to run through, and said something like "nobody can catch him at training... not even Junior can catch him!"

Seemed strange to highlight Milera since he hasn't shown much pace in games, but perhaps in a straight-up sprint he's fast?

Hopefully he adds it to his game because I feel he's just one more weapon away from being a good AFL player.

Yep. I'm Not unhappy with his contributions in general. The net result of that period was very bad imho, but Milera himself is fine.

Nope - neither am I - particularly when I think about the incredible challenges these kids face to step up to AFL - and the disgusting nutbags in the crowd that they can't be immune which other young 'uns don't have to put up with. Quite a test for a teenager/young adult.

On Crowcast, I think it was Scorpus who mentioned the idea of giving Wayne a planned one-year spell in the twos with certain KPIs to work on. Not a bad idea at all.

Can't build a football career (or any career in the world for that matter) on talent alone.

On Crowcast, I think it was Scorpus who mentioned the idea of giving Wayne a planned one-year spell in the twos with certain KPIs to work on. Not a bad idea at all.

Can't build a football career (or any career in the world for that matter) on talent alone.
Nope that wasn't me. I think he should be playing as much AFL as possible and working on KPIs in an AFL environment.

Only if he isn't improving and working on issues should he be demoted

1 year spell? That isn't going to help him.

We need to persist playing Milera in blocks of games, then if he struggles for a few, drop him to work on his game, then bring him back.

He is only young, so will be inconsistent. The sooner we get him to 50 games, the sooner we will really reap the benefits.

1 year spell? That isn't going to help him.

We need to persist playing Milera in blocks of games, then if he struggles for a few, drop him to work on his game, then bring him back.

He is only young, so will be inconsistent. The sooner we get him to 50 games, the sooner we will really reap the benefits.

It's a misconception that players will be better in the reserves or get better on certain KPIs. The reality is the game style and pace of games are totally different. How many times have we seen players get well over 20 possessions a game regularly and when given a chance at AFL level they struggle to get to mid teens. The Crows have an outstanding history of player development and I think its one area where no one can really fault.

Has to keep playing AFL. Yeah he's a bit timid during contests and avoids tackles sometimes but he's 19, you can afford to carry a few of these kids in your line up because the benefit is huge. We're approaching our window and it's beneficial to us having Wayne on as many games as possible fast.
We should have done the same with Atkins and Knight, but we had VB, Wright and MacKay playing games instead of them.

I was wondering that too. After the match they interviewed Betts and asked about Cameron and he said that they try to create space for Cameron to run through, and said something like "nobody can catch him at training... not even Junior can catch him!"

Seemed strange to highlight Milera since he hasn't shown much pace in games, but perhaps in a straight-up sprint he's fast?

Hopefully he adds it to his game because I feel he's just one more weapon away from being a good AFL player.
He is well above average speed wise but it's his agility that is top level

So he's quickest running at angles not in a straight line

Surely you've seen him use his speed in his games ?

Numerous examples last season too

He is well above average speed wise but it's his agility that is top level

So he's quickest running at angles not in a straight line

Surely you've seen him use his speed in his games ?

Numerous examples last season too
If you saw the footage of that SANFL goal where he ran more than half the field you'd know he definitely has speed and especially agility

One of players in pre season was actually saying how hard he was in contests at training compared to the previous pre season and believes he's going to end up a very physical player

Hasn't shown this at AFL yet but good to know he's got it in him. Keep playing him if he's got that much improvement on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah saw that , it's more a very high cruising speed rather than an electric burst like Cameron , can also turn on a dime and zig zag
Yep, pretty much the definition of a 'silky' kind of player. Milera's speed can in some situations be even more dangerous than the more obvious 'electric burst' speed, as you don't really notice that he is going that fast.

I know it's not yours, but this has to be one of the worst ideas ever floated on here.

It's a misconception that players will be better in the reserves or get better on certain KPIs. The reality is the game style and pace of games are totally different. How many times have we seen players get well over 20 possessions a game regularly and when given a chance at AFL level they struggle to get to mid teens. The Crows have an outstanding history of player development and I think its one area where no one can really fault.
Absolutely right.

Milera played a bunch of SANFL league football in 2015 and more last season. Whatever benefits the lower level holds for him have been gained. Going back to the SANFL again will only take him further away from becoming a consistent, quality AFL footballer.

Nope that wasn't me. I think he should be playing as much AFL as possible and working on KPIs in an AFL environment.

Which one of the Cast made this crazy suggestion as didn't hear this episode?

You only leave a player in the sanfl if they are not ready at all for afl. E.g. Jarman.

Which one of the Cast made this crazy suggestion as didn't hear this episode?

You only leave a player in the sanfl if they are not ready at all for afl. E.g. Jarman.
I heard this. It wasn't for a whole year - i got the impression they meant very temporarily.

One of last week's casts

At what point do you draw a line in the sand and say, you haven't improved in a certain area so back to the SANFL?

Is it 10 games is it the rest of the year is it in the next 2 years?

Milera absolutely has all the weapons.

I don't think he's soft which some have suggested. But I do think that he doesn't believes he belongs yet. This takes time and is different for all players.

I think a part of this is due to his natural personality which has absolutely no hint of ego whatsoever.

Once it clicks, there is a serious player that will emerge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back