Wayne Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to read he came originally from the wheatbelt. His records have him as being recruited from Bicton. Apparently Wayne's nickname at Collingwood was also 'Bicton'.
Was working in a bank out there, Kunnunopin/Trayning was the club off the top. Murray Rance came out of there later.
The family home was Bicton, a drop kick from Fremantle Oval. Max went the conventional way through South Freo & the WAFL.
This is (part of) what it has to say in his bio on Collingwood Forever:
1580521757962.png
1580521722851.png
Those words ^ do come straight from Encyclopedia Of AFL Footballers.

Kwality, it's because of what it says in that first paragraph that I asked you earlier in the thread "Was it from South or East Fremantle that we needed the clearance?" You didn't respond:mad: !

This is from the Football Record in 1972:
1580522278413.png
This in 1973:
1580522959190.png
In the Football Record I can only see Bicton (WA) named as his club of origin.

Last edited:
This is (part of) what it has to say in his bio on Collingwood Forever:
View attachment 814491
View attachment 814490
Those words ^ do come straight from Encyclopedia Of AFL Footballers.

Kwality, it's because of what it says in that first paragraph that I asked you earlier in the thread "Was it from South or East Fremantle that we needed the clearance?" You didn't respond:mad: !

This is from the Football Record in 1972:
View attachment 814493
This in 1973:
View attachment 814497
In the Football Record I can only see Bicton (WA) named as his club of origin.

I was at school with a guy (farming family) from Trayning who debuted for East Perth in 1965, only knew of Wayne Richardson from him until the clearance was refused.
Sorry if I mislead you, Freo Oval was South Fremantles home ground, East Freo had their own ground. Always of the view SF held up the clearance, may be wrong. Max debuted for South. Looks like I had the a-about, its was a while back.

Think the WAFL were in it (furious with VFL clubs signing up kids before they had played WAFL footy) up to their neck, Gabo's clearance back to the Pies a couple of years earlier was part of a deal put together by Frank Fuhrmann, a WAFL powerbroker of the time.

Last edited:

...as did John Parkinson from Claremont. Just for one season. A Sandover Medallist. Broke a collar bone and only managed 3 games before heading back to Claremont.
I remember John playing against Melbourne in 1971 at the MCG the day McKenna kicked 10 on Ray Biffin. He wore No 17. I think he found the pace of VFL footy a little fast for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back