Toast Wayne Schwass - A Silent War

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Feel like this deserves its own thread. Just listened to the first part of Wayne Schwass - A Silent War. Fantastic effort by Heath and the club.

Really proud of the club and for Schwatta for getting this out there. It was a really good insight as to how someone at the peak of their powers can still be impacted by mental health conditions. Really goes to show how this disease doesn't discriminate.

Really looking forward to part 2.

I just love the fact that he is so genuine. It's a dying attribute in todays society imo.

Its probably got something to do with how he copes with things. Being full of s**t can be debilitating if you have depression or anxiety and not being full of s**t can really help. When everything else is ****ed at least you have that and the only person who can take it away is yourself.

So open and honest. Really glad that he’s ok now. It’s so important to seek help and talk to those you trust if you’re ever feeling like you’re not coping psychologically. Remember it’s so much more common than you could ever imagine, and just like Wayne alluded to, even people who appear to “have it all” could be struggling in their life and you wouldn’t even know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody oath.

It wasn't all about Wayne like that bloke is making out. It's about exposure and giving people confidence to talk about their issues.

I thought Swatta was making a point about our (Australian not (just) NMFC) culture at the time and the consequences for people with mental illnesses and how his own "failures" (ie being part of that culture and following it so "failures" in hindsight not at the time,) to deal with his issues came from him buying into that culture as much as anything else. Maybe more so. If he put blame on anyone I'd say it was himself and that blame was for the pressure he put on himself and people who cared about him not to give in to that so called "weakness".

He was also pointing out that sort culture was toxic for people who are dealing with mental health issues, not blaming individuals when everyone (and I mean everyone not just sportspeople) at the time brought into it to an extent.

Believe it or not The Simpsons had episodes that touched on that attitude - the one where the kids played ice hockey and the one where Bart and a Flanders kid played mini golf.

Blame might be the wrong word too, given all this is in hindsight and more aimed at trying to understand the problem and give other people the opportunity to avoid the stress he suffered by learning from his mistakes.

In what respect Tef? As in this was common knowledge within certain circles?

Yes mate.

I knew of it way back then, but I was certainly never going to mention it without Wayne publicly coming forward himself.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back