Wayne Schwass

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I would for sure!
In today's game he would have been just as dominant as those two. Was way harder, way better in the air, and probably a better goal kicker. Didn't accumulate as much as Danger, but the game was different back then.
In short, wouldn't have rated as highly in Supercoach?

schwass_gallery__470x361.jpg

Was ahead of his time in terms of AFL expansion.

A lot better player than history will show . Tough as nails but highly skilled player who could literally play anywhere . Mainly played on a wing but played a final across half back on Garry Hocking & took him to the cleaners . When Carey had his struggles with Jakovich I remember a couple of games where Pagan would play him at full forward and he kicked 4 or 5 goals to get us over the line . Just a superstar . All the while playing under considerable mental distress , can only imagine the played he'd have been with a clear mind .

Was my favourite player throughout the nineties. Don't get me wrong I love Carey, but Schwass was an incredibly gifted player. Probably didn't get recognised that as much as he should have because of how good Stevens, Carey and Archer were.

His skills were fantastic, he was as hard as they come, could take marks and kick goals.

I'll never forget that goal he kicked on the run on the angle from 50 against West Coast. I was only young then but it was right in front of me, he was so dominant and damaging on his day.

He loves his Kangaroos.

Pity he couldnt put down his mobile at the function last year though *chuckle*

Is it possible to like an ENTIRE thread??

The was only ever one number I sewed onto a North footy jumper. Schwatta's No.2 after he blitzed Essendon in a one man show at Princes Park.

He played how we all reckon the game SHOULD be played. Merciless attack on the ball or whatever opposition player happened to be unlucky enough to be in possession.

Then terrific skills to do magic with it when he won it.

Losing him to Sydney tore my heart out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was my favorite 90s player too I think, but its pretty close among a lot of them. I remember him from the u19s. Like a few of you I was also gutted when he went to the swans gee that year sucked. I never liked Shannon Grant as much tho he was certainly a good player. But I always thought Swatta would have won us the game that day in '98.

He was just manic and he attacked the contest so hard. Because we had Carey its easy to forget how good some of the other players we had were. If Carey had never played that side could still have won a flag and Swatta would have been instrumental in winning.

I was watching that 1993 video against Bombers posted on another thread and noticed what a gun he is.

Can someone whose watched a lot more of him let me know if he was a Dangerfield/Judd type player where he would burst out of picks with long kicks into Duck and Longmire in the forward 50?
He was a jet. I had number 2 on my back. Tough, quick and brilliant left foot. By the way, that 93 Essendon friday night game is one of my all time favourites.

I still remember what I think was his 2nd game down at Kardinia Park.
He had a cracking game for a kid and you could just tell he was going to be a star. Also had a similar haircut to me at the time which made him my favourite player.

My favourite non north player at the time also starred that day Robert Scott.

Was my favourite player throughout the nineties. Don't get me wrong I love Carey, but Schwass was an incredibly gifted player. Probably didn't get recognised that as much as he should have because of how good Stevens, Carey and Archer were.

His skills were fantastic, he was as hard as they come, could take marks and kick goals.

I'll never forget that goal he kicked on the run on the angle from 50 against West Coast. I was only young then but it was right in front of me, he was so dominant and damaging on his day.
would that be the one at princess park i was at that game he literally dismantled west coast that day was awesome to watch

That brings back some great memories. My old man is best mates with Swatta's former South W'bool coach back in the 80's. I met him after his '88 break out season when his former coach took me to Swatta's father's house (a former all-black I believe). Swatta was out the front playing cricket with John Macnamara and a 16yo Leon Cameron. My brothers and I played cricket with them for a while before we got a photo with him. My Dad's mate also told me to get Leon Cameron's autograph saying 'this kid will win a Brownlow one day.' (He came second one year I believe).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back