Ways for the team / player to improve 5>10% in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple improve our midfield game... To be honest I am glad Cox is moved on from midfield coach (is a champ of our club, and would rather he stay at the nest in a ruck coaching role) I don't think he was the best man for the job. Sammy Mitchel should now be in this role?? I really think a better leader in the middle with some fresh legs will really help us to move forward

2015 we would break teams in the 2nd half, they were forced to run extremely hard to cover our spread.

That's how I remember it, too. 4th quarters we'd pull out the skis and really build a good margin. We seemed both unfit and lacking in skills this year. Typically a preseason will focus heavily on one or the other. Which begs the question, wtf were we doing in 2017?

Emphasis on training is definitely one area. Check out this story on Harry Kane

At Tottenham they say that Kane is in the best physical shape of his career and they know that because of the numbers. Pochettino and his coaches are obsessed by data, which is collated from training sessions and matches, and the detail of it is mind-boggling. With Kane, for example, they will monitor the volume and intensity of his accelerations, decelerations and sprints, together with many other things.

They can even determine if he has an imbalance in one leg. Kane might be above the required levels in both legs but if he can produce more power in one, there could be a problem. Pochettino and his coaches do not share the data with the players. It is for them alone and it allows them to judge how hard they should push the various members of the squad.

In training, where there is an emphasis on instilling patterns of movement in small, medium or large areas, the buzz phrase is practising the final ball or shot “under fatigue”. To Pochettino, the ability to repeat these decisive actions time and again, when tired, is all-important. He puts on drills that simulate the fatigue that a striker, for example, will feel at the end of a run and when he must gather himself to finish.

That kind of attention to detail is what gives a player that extra 10%. We need to greatly improve the quality of our training regime.

We don't need to be 5-10% better, we need to play games for a quarter longer than we have been.

When was the last season where we were able to consistently win 4th quarters?
2015 from memory and even 2016 was better than 2017. This year we fell away in 4th quarters so badly that I started to think they just weren't fit and something went astray during their pre-season training?

This. Coupled with the extra travel we do it's quite baffling that we play so many talls. We definitely need to figure out a better way to manage the travel as I'm convince that whether or not it's fair, it's certainly impacting our ability to play out the season and especially play back-to-back away games with intensity.

Also a few of our shorter players probably need to be rested for the occasional game more frequently. Cripps for example really struggled towards the back end of the season and losing his pressure hurt us. Similarly LeCras may have actually been useful if given the chance to let his injury heal a bit. One of the reasons I think we did OK in 2015 was the injuries forced us to bring in fresh players a bit more often and the extra run helps.

My hope for next season is that we effectively sacrifice the first 8-10 games to rotate in different players. There's value in keeping the 22 consistent but I'm no longer convinced we'll be able to win a flag without giving players more of a chance to recover during the season.
Has a lot to do with the coaching and/or fitness guys - as Woosha had done a lot of travelling during his playing days, when he became coach was probably able to teach the players a thing or two on how to handle the travel. Simmo on the other hand coming from Melbourne possibly hasn't grasped as to what is required when you get on a plane every 2nd week. I'm just guessing but there may be a bit of truth in my comments. You would think a coach would learn after a couple of goes at the MCG and not succeeding that something has to change.

Definitely hope we can fine tune our tackling vs coralling and close in skills in general.

Noticed many times in the season just gone if it was a 2 on 2 contest for the ball and we were in possession we'd end up being pressured and cough up possession, often via holding the ball. If the opposition had the ball, we seemed to have multiple numbers drawn to the ball carrier without genuine pressure and an easy outlet to the now free opposition second man. Really noticeable the nous of Mitchell compared to anyone else in winning those 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 type contests, getting possession in close and spreading it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheed and venables are going to be two of our most important players next year as far as whether we slide or not. They will both need to step up and help fill the massive hole left by pritchell. Sheed in particular really needs to work on his fitness. We could move up 4 spots on the ladder With the talent we have just with grit and manic pressure. Need to play smaller and run harder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get the feeling the playing group conceded they weren't good enough after the GF capitulation...
went back accepted their mediocrity and because of our lack of youth coming through never felt the pressure on their spots or desperate push for a Premiership medallion...we grew a soft culture under Simmo...can he improve this?

I bloody hope so, IN SIMMO WE TRUST...

Sheed and venables are going to be two of our most important players next year as far as whether we slide or not. They will both need to step up and help fill the massive hole left by pritchell. Sheed in particular really needs to work on his fitness. We could move up 4 spots on the ladder With the talent we have just with grit and manic pressure. Need to play smaller and run harder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully Sheed will improve with a full preseason behind him. He always seems injured during this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling the playing group conceded they weren't good enough after the GF capitulation...
went back accepted their mediocrity and because of our lack of youth coming through never felt the pressure on their spots or desperate push for a Premiership medallion...we grew a soft culture under Simmo...can he improve this?

I bloody hope so, IN SIMMO WE TRUST...
Hopefully we have 5 new exciting kids pushing for spots next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back