Ways The Team Can Improve For Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

They need to be skilled up first. Risk and Reward doesn't favour the fumbly hesitant crap foot passing play we display. Essendon tried it under Knights and it was a disaster because of they just didn't have the team skill we had at the time.
Also port a few years ago under Hinkley. Worked early then got picked apart.
Still, the gist of what was said remains.
We are a stodgy unimaginative team with a defence orientated style that has failed to deliver when it counts.

Dont play blicavs in the ruck or on a wing in a final. Automatically makes us 30 percent better.
If I see Blicavs playing anywhere other than FB next year I'm automatically cancelling my membership.

1. Scott to stop over coaching and just play smart attacking footy that goes forward at all costs (like tigs)
2. Play players in the positions that suit them
3. Midfielders to run both ways, don't care if you're Simpson or Dangerfield, you get dragged if you don't chase and defend
4. Practice smart knock ons, smart fast ball movement that goes forward and attacks
5. Push WC hard for top picks for Kelly
6. Clark in defence for run and carry and not too many slow players
7. GAJ & Rohan to play 15 games max each, to be timed for the back end of the year

1. Scott to stop over coaching and just play smart attacking footy that goes forward at all costs (like tigs)
3. Midfielders to run both ways, don't care if you're Simpson or Dangerfield, you get dragged if you don't chase and defend
4. Practice smart knock ons, smart fast ball movement that goes forward and attacks
7. GAJ & Rohan to play 15 games max each, to be timed for the back end of the year
Number 1 is the opposite of everything scott is about. If you want 1 then scott has to be sacked.

I'd go as far as adding Taylor to the 15 game group, and only if resting or managing others. Quite frankly I'm disappointed both he and GAJ are going around again. Both been great, both not any more.

I'd go as far as adding Taylor to the 15 game group, and only if resting or managing others. Quite frankly I'm disappointed both he and GAJ are going around again. Both been great, both not any more.
Yes. Both venerable servants, but now clogging the list and slowing development of upcomers. Clarkson would have moved both of them on.
Another reactionary move which shows nothing has changed...forward vision clouded by the increasingly opaque ‘premiership window’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Danger 90% forward. In the last 4 years we've played 9 finals. In 7 of them our midfield has been completely smashed for at least a quarter giving the opposition way too many easy looks. The only final we've been dominant in midfield was the one time Dangerfield was played predominantly forward. It's also the one final Dangerfield has dominated. Surely it's time to learn that lesson.

:)
Its the little things.

Play Danger 90% forward. In the last 4 years we've played 9 finals. In 7 of them our midfield has been completely smashed for at least a quarter giving the opposition way too many easy looks. The only final we've been dominant in midfield was the one time Dangerfield was played predominantly forward. It's also the one final Dangerfield has dominated. Surely it's time to learn that lesson.
No way. He’s a s**t kick for goal, and too often spoils his own teammates.

Leave him in the middle where he plays best.

Happy for him to play in the middle, but only if he sets up defensively at each bounce.

Would like to see us do something similar to 2011 and have a core group of 30-35 players who, depending on injuries, are rotated through the team and have rests during the season. That year not one player had played in every game, and I think we had only half a dozen or so who missed one, and another 6-8 who had missed 2 or 3 games through the season.

That way players would be fresh by the end of the season, and we'd also have a group of players we can rely on to fill in if necessary as they'd have done so during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back