Ways The Team Can Improve For Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't read the whole thread, but surely it's a pretty simple solution - play the players in their best position and then make sure those who find themselves in our forward 50 actually know how to kick goals

Degree of difficulty, Max. I would guess if you added all their goal assists together, they would not total Ablett's. And a lot of Ablett's GA's were only possible with his skill set.
I only placed Gary in there as a comparison.
I realise there is more pressure on many of his disposals, and indeed a lot more of his would be handballs too.
The point stands though.
Neither of those three are below AFL standards. There are many, many players with worse disposal efficiency.

I would actually hope that Chris Scott removes the slow-moving, down the line, possession style from our game plan. It doesn't halt the momentum of the opposition, and can put more pressure on the team and their poor field kicking.
The first half of the year showed less of that game style and a more free-flowing style of football which seemed to work.

It will be interesting how the match committee sets up our forward line next year with Hawkins, Sav, Dahl, Rohan, Miers, Jenkins, Krueger, and others all putting their hand up.
Also, where Selwood plays next year will be interesting as well. Steven should replace Kelly's spot, while I would be hoping that Parfitt and Constable have more game time in the middle. Joel may be a floater and used where needed at the time (probably up to him?).

Stanley should benefit from Jenkins in the team providing a better ruck support (although i'm not really sure if he is good in the ruck?)

And, of course, playing Blitz in his prime KPD position, not on the wing or ruck.

Yeah the issue isn’t the backline as such, it’s the lack of two-way play with the midfield throwing the defence under the bus on a turnover. The best 6 in the league can’t stop the bleed when it goes straight over their head on a coast-to-coast because our centreline is guarding grass instead of putting pressure on where the ball carrier is directing the play
I disagree with this. We are the first side to not concede a 100-point score in a season for so long; being cut open was not really our problem, largely because we played so conservatively.

I disagree with this. We are the first side to not concede a 100-point score in a season for so long; being cut open was not really our problem, largely because we played so conservatively.
Overall our points against was the lowest I remember in a season, but that was LARGELY due to how low we kept opposition totals up to the bye. Post-bye we were extremely patchy and while we never got belted in the pure sense of the word, it was when MCG-conditioned teams played us that we looked weakest and my description was more evident. Being cut open at key moments in the season was how we were unstuck so predictably and so easily in finals.

Haven't read the whole thread, but surely it's a pretty simple solution - play the players in their best position and then make sure those who find themselves in our forward 50 actually know how to kick goals
Only issue being that we don't quite have the team balance for that. We're better than we used to be on that front, but Menegola, Duncan, Constable, Dangerfield, Selwood, Parfitt, Guthrie etc can't all play in the middle at once and we're still a winger and a HFF short.

We need to fix the obvious issue of a backline that is unable to consistently execute basic kicking skills. Any semblance of rebound is wishful thinking based on the current coaching mindset of team defence equating to "safe" kicks along the wings to a contest and hopeful stoppage.

Playing all of Bews, Blicavs and Kolo on the last defensive line will not alleviate the problem. This triumvirate aren't at league level when it comes to disposal.
Yeah, nah.

Backline is fine. It's mids that don't get down to help or don't apply enough pressure up field that is the main issue.

Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room.

Our huge home ground disadvantage.

Geelong (like Sydney) plays a max of 10 games a season on full-size grounds.
All other clubs play 18 games minimum per season on full-size grounds.
They play finals on full-size grounds.

We are going nowhere until we either move our home ground, or close Moorabool Street and extend Kardinia Park.

Be nice to actually start hitting up some forwards on the lead like we did in the first 12 rounds again, rather than just reverting back to the old Geelong 'Just bomb it in and Christ hope for the best'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room.

Our huge home ground disadvantage.

Geelong (like Sydney) plays a max of 10 games a season on full-size grounds.
All other clubs play 18 games minimum per season on full-size grounds.
They play finals on full-size grounds.

We are going nowhere until we either move our home ground, or close Moorabool Street and extend Kardinia Park.
That only cost about 200 mil to rebuild stands and buy land. Not gonna happen so find another way..2007 to 2011 found a way

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I only placed Gary in there as a comparison.
I realise there is more pressure on many of his disposals, and indeed a lot more of his would be handballs too.
The point stands though.
Neither of those three are below AFL standards. There are many, many players with worse disposal efficiency.

Bews would not get a game for any other AFL team. All other clubs field small defenders that are excellent defensively AND have highly skilled disposal by foot.

Jed is an anachronism and his dour low-skilled traits belong to a bygone era.

Last edited:
Bews would not get a game for any other AFL team. All other clubs field small defenders that are excellent defensively AND have highly skilled disposal by foot.

I have to agree with this. I was really disappointed when he was re-selected. Small defenders these days absolutely have to hurt you in the other direction. The fact that ours aren't so good at it is a major reason as to why we move the ball so slowly.

Are you sure that you are not talking about our Coach. He was a dour back player

Our esteemed coach played with Andy "Rat" Bews and clearly has a soft spot for young Jed because frankly, he is not AFL standard.

An odour of nepotism exists here.
There's an odour alright.... not sure its nepotism however...

GO Catters

1) Play players in their position and take advantage of their strongest attributes
2) Settle the team 4 weeks out from finals and go in with faith in that team
3) Don't talk about the fairness of the competition and home games in Geelong when the team is supposed to be focusing on prep for the business end.
4) Don't throw hail-mary curveballs at the last minute by dropping / moving regular players and unsettling the whole goddamn team in the process.
5) Don't lose after the bye.
6) Don't allow players to get away with lacking pressure and intensity. If it can be there some weeks, it can be there every week. Look at the teams who have won the flags in the last five years. Think you can beat them in a final by exerting less pressure than them? Think again.
7) Don't get suspended as a key-position player when your team needs you the most.

That should put us in good stead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back