Opinion Ways To Improve Game Day Experience On The GC

Remove this Banner Ad

The club has stated that they don't want a permanent extension of the facility as the costs involved in cleaning and maintaining it would erode their management fee profits. All indications are the Comm games structure will be temporary.

It is unrealistic for the club to be playing out of a 25,000 seat stadium in ten years time. The premiership window is fast approaching and 25,000 won't be big enough for some of the blockbusters that Metricon will host over the next few years. You have to also consider that Metricon Stadium will host the Big Day Out for at least the next five years and that event has been known to pull in excess of 50,000 people.

SUNS revealed that the Suns will make the call in mid-2015 as to whether the upgrade should be permanent.

Metricon-Stadium-compressed.jpg

If they could keep the stand but decrease the capacity to 35,000 I think that would be the best outcome. Then they could extend the roof all the way around the stadium and it would look pretty good. An issue is where the big screen will fit in the stadium but I'm sure they will work something out. There is no way they will host the Comm Games opening and closing ceremonies at Metricon and not have a big screen somewhere in the stadium.

It is unrealistic for the club to be playing out of a 25,000 seat stadium in ten years time. The premiership window is fast approaching and 25,000 won't be big enough for some of the blockbusters that Metricon will host over the next few years. You have to also consider that Metricon Stadium will host the Big Day Out for at least the next five years and that event has been known to pull in excess of 50,000 people.

SUNS revealed that the Suns will make the call in mid-2015 as to whether the upgrade should be permanent.

Metricon-Stadium-compressed.jpg

If they could keep the stand but decrease the capacity to 35,000 I think that would be the best outcome. Then they could extend the roof all the way around the stadium and it would look pretty good. An issue is where the big screen will fit in the stadium but I'm sure they will work something out. There is no way they will host the Comm Games opening and closing ceremonies at Metricon and not have a big screen somewhere in the stadium.

Don't get me wrong Matchu i am all for a permanent upgrade, but the word I have is the clubs current position is they don't want it. Hopeful that changes as it seems crazy to spend 10's of millions only to knock it back down again.

Don't get me wrong Matchu i am all for a permanent upgrade, but the word I have is the clubs current position is they don't want it. Hopeful that changes as it seems crazy to spend 10's of millions only to knock it back down again.

I figured this was your position but wasn't sure. Can I ask where you got that information from and how long ago you got it?

13-14 months ago from a senior official

I see. Well that was before the Big Day Out signed up so that is a factor to consider. You're right when you say it's silly to build the stand only to knock it down again but a lot of things could change between now and 2018. All we can do is wait and hope.

The stands arent opened for festivals like BDO. You have a stage or two on the field, and more outside the grounds, but it's a completely open festival with people wandering around everywhere between stages. Size of the stadium is irrelevant. You could hold BDO in an open field.

The stands arent opened for festivals like BDO. You have a stage or two on the field, and more outside the grounds, but it's a completely open festival with people wandering around everywhere between stages. Size of the stadium is irrelevant. You could hold BDO in an open field.

You have to actually go through the stands to get to the ground? The stands were used during the Foo Fighters concert so I would have though they'd let you sit down at the BDO if you wanted to?

Commentators on Fox Footy just confirmed that the Suns will be allowed to host a home final at Metricon and will not have to travel to the Gabba, should they win the right to host a final. Great news and almost definitely on the back of the decision to let Geelong play at Kardinia Park. As I said before, the AFL has to be seen to be consistent and Gold Coast fans no longer have to worry about travelling to the Gabba!!!

Only just discovered this photo...

metricon_stadium_2-medium.jpg

This is the ideal outcome for Metricon Stadium post Commonwealth Games. It looks like part of the bottom tier at the northern end would be removed so the second tier doesn't run into one of the light towers. An extension of the roof would probably be in the plans as well. A new big screen would need to fit somewhere else, too. I think it looks great, what do you guys think?

If that photo accurately reflects what it will look like, then it will be up there with the best looking stadiums in world sport.
Absolutely. It is already one of the most unique. Would like to see a little more effort put in to the exterior prior to Comm games but it's really on track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The stands arent opened for festivals like BDO.

Just thought I'd post this pic. Looks like the shade was a big hit.
nqyK9bF.jpg

Anyway, I think this video below is something the Suns should seriously look at doing for entertainment. Just hire an usher who can dance and put him/her in the upper tier when you put the music on at halftime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the stages are so close together.. youd think they would have one at either end

Both those stages are the 'main stage'. As one band plays on the left stage, the next band starts setting up on the right stage. When the band on the left finishes, the band on the right can start their set immediately, and the next band starts to set up on the left stage.

Earlier today it was announced that the late great Jim Stynes will be immortalised with a bronze statue outside the MCG. It got me thinking - wouldn't it be great if they could add bronze statue/s outside Metricon Stadium in an attempt to educate the crowd about the sport and Gold Coast players? This is not just an Australian thing, the first picture below shows the Michael Jordan statue that was placed outside the United Center in Chicago. It's also not just a Victorian thing either, you'll see in the pictures below that both Wally Lewis and Darren Lockyer have had their statues made outside Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. The Gold Coast needs to step out of the small city mentality and be proud of something distinctively theirs. The question is - who deserves the first statue outside Metricon?

E3rxHdh.jpg

l3DtYwS.jpg

BD52Ran.jpg

Last edited:
Coaches rarely get immortalised unless they're legendary coaches like Barassi or Sheedy. While I could dream I doubt McKenna will enter that bracket. Gary will but anything like a bronze statue is a decade+ away.

Coaches rarely get immortalised unless they're legendary coaches like Barassi or Sheedy. While I could dream I doubt McKenna will enter that bracket. Gary will but anything like a bronze statue is a decade+ away.

If he coaches a team of 16-17 year olds all the way through til they get a premiership or 3 . . . That's legendary

Gary will but anything like a bronze statue is a decade+ away.
Why does it have to be at least a decade away? Michael Jordan's statue was installed within 18 months of his first retirement and Darren Lockyer's statue was unveiled just 5 months after retirement. I think Gary would need to be a part of the first premiership team to solidify his legacy at the Suns. His achievements for the Gold Coast are already very impressive:

3 x All Australian
3 x Club Champion
2 x AFLPA MVP
2 x Club Leading Goalkicker
1 x Brownlow Medal
Club Captain 2011-present

Does it really matter if Gaz is a Queenslander though?

You take those accomplishments, Add some extra quantity to the existing and throw in premiership winning captain and Norm Smith Medalist and he becomes pretty much inserpassable for a very, very, very long time.

If we limit the statues to Queenslanders then the instant frontrunner is Rory and take it from one of his biggest fans. Rory is not the type of player that gets statues made of him. He'll go about his business, Anchor our defence to a couple of flags and retire to become assistant coach at the Suns and then head coach of a new expansion club.

Not that I'm basing his hypothetical career on anyone particular or anything...

Quick poll (for everyone) : First Statue outside of Metricon is Gaz and Bluey holding up our first Premiership trophy, How disappointed are you?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick poll (for everyone) : First Statue outside of Metricon is Gaz and Bluey holding up our first Premiership trophy, How disappointed are you?
That thought went through my mind. It would be a great way to capture the moment if Ablett were still the captain and McKenna was still at the helm. I know both moments in time and individual players are captured in statues but it'd be pretty stiff to not give Gaz his own statue listing his achievements for the club.

Does it really matter if Gaz is a Queenslander though?

You take those accomplishments, Add some extra quantity to the existing and throw in premiership winning captain and Norm Smith Medalist and he becomes pretty much inserpassable for a very, very, very long time.

If we limit the statues to Queenslanders then the instant frontrunner is Rory and take it from one of his biggest fans. Rory is not the type of player that gets statues made of him. He'll go about his business, Anchor our defence to a couple of flags and retire to become assistant coach at the Suns and then head coach of a new expansion club.

Not that I'm basing his hypothetical career on anyone particular or anything...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dicko is ahead of Rory atm. Even Zac Smith is up there

So what do we think about some of the new stuff that was tried at the Richmond game? Do people think kiss cam was a good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back