Opinion WB BigFooty Consensus Best 22 2019: Wingmen

Which two players slot in on the wings of our best 22?

• Bailey Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylor Duryea

• Sam Lloyd

• Laitham Vandermeer

• Patrick Lipinski

• Caleb Daniel

• Brad Lynch

• Mitch Wallis

• Josh Dunkley

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Hi all,

Slight change to the formula - I'll be making a new thread for each poll so as not to make the mods edit the previous one every time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For three years now we've voted on the Western Bulldogs' best 22 for the year ahead to establish a "consensus" BigFooty lineup to generate some discussion.

You know the drill by now: a number of players that I feel are relevant to the current section of the ground will be placed into a poll. You are to vote for as many players as is required.

For example, we'll be picking the wings from now until Tuesday, so you should vote for two wingmen. New polls will be put up every few days.

Feel free to discuss the selections on the thread but make sure you vote in the poll to ensure that your vote is counted. Only votes from Western Bulldogs supporters will be considered.

If you believe I've missed anybody that should be eligible in this position, let me know and I'll add them in.

2016 Lineup
FB: Morris - Roberts - Boyd
HB: Murphy - Hamling - Wood
C: Hunter - Liberatore - Macrae
HF: McLean - Stringer - Crameri
FF: Dickson - Boyd - Dahlhaus
R: Roughead - Wallis - Bontempelli
I: Picken - Johannisen - Suckling - Stevens

2017 Lineup
FB: Dale Morris - Marcus Adams - Matthew Boyd
HB: Jason Johannisen - Easton Wood - Robert Murphy
C: Lachie Hunter - Marcus Bontempelli - Jack Macrae
HF: Jake Stringer - Travis Cloke - Stewart Crameri
FF: Tory Dickson - Tom Boyd - Clay Smith
R: Jordan Roughead - Tom Liberatore - Luke Dahlhaus
I: Liam Picken - Caleb Daniel - Shane Biggs - Mitch Wallis

2018 Lineup
FB: Dale Morris (100 votes) - Marcus Adams (83) - Easton Wood (113)
HB: Jason Johannisen (73) - Jackson Trengove (96) - Shane Biggs (93)
C: Lachie Hunter (58) - Marcus Bontempelli (90) - Bailey Dale (23)
HF: Luke Dahlhaus (87) - Josh Schache (81) - Toby McLean (82)
FF: Tory Dickson (74) - Tom Boyd (104) - Liam Picken (85)
R: Jordan Roughead (60) - Tom Liberatore (73) - Jack Macrae (64)
I: Caleb Daniel (52) - Mitch Wallis (43) - Zaine Cordy (27) - Josh Dunkley (23)

2019 Lineup so far
FB: D. Morris (63 votes) - A. Naughton (68) - E. Wood (62)
HB: J. Johannisen (61) - Z. Cordy (62) - H. Crozier (51)
C: x - M. Bontempelli (101) - x
HF: x - x - x
FF: x - x - x
R: J. Trengove (61) - T. Liberatore (61) - J. Macrae (86)
I: x - x - x - x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-up-our-starting-onballers-3-1-ruck.1209612/

Hunter seems the overwhelming obvious choice.
My next selection is more of a hope of improvement in Richards.
Im hoping he has a big year and cements his spot in a team that has few injures.

Have a feeling the combo of Hunter and Dale is the one to go for.

Dale’s natural strength is run and carry, then as we know he has the tendency to then continue wheeling into forwrd 50 for the running goal. It’s his best position. We tend to forget how much we were excited about him at end of 2017.

I think Richards strengths are slightly more suited to either half back/forward flank. He has more of a marking presence and core strength in his hips - allows him to wrong foot opponents (great thing to have in the flank positions - think Bob Murphy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a feeling the combo of Hunter and Dale is the one to go for.

Dale’s natural strength is run and carry, then as we know he has the tendency to then continue wheeling into forwrd 50 for the running goal. It’s his best position. We tend to forget how much we were excited about him at end of 2017.

I think Richards strengths are slightly more suited to either half back/forward flank. He has more of a marking presence and core strength in his hips - allows him to wrong foot opponents (great thing to have in the flank positions - think Bob Murphy)

My thinking exactly

Dale is a goal scoring weapon.

The new rules should see us linking up with JJ, Red Ed and possibly Suckers and Lynch among others slingshotting out of defence to Dale and Hunter et al. I have a feeling we will be a work in progress and hard to stop

I have a vision and its 2020

My thinking exactly

Dale is a goal scoring weapon.

The new rules should see us linking up with JJ, Red Ed and possibly Suckers and Lynch among others slingshotting out of defence to Dale and Hunter et al. I have a feeling we will be a work in progress and hard to stop

I have a vision and its 2020

This is Bailey Dale ?

The guy who has struggled to get a game ?

With voting now finished for this round, BigFooty has selected Lachie Hunter (48 votes) and Ed Richards (26) as our best 22 wingmen for the 2019 season.

This makes our starting unit in the middle of the ground:

C: L. Hunter (48 votes) - M. Bontempelli (101) - E. Richards (26)

R: J. Trengove (61) - T. Liberatore (61) - J. Macrae (86)

This is Lachie Hunter's fourth straight appearance on the wings in this team, earning him 98.0% of the votes this year. His accomplice, however, makes his first appearance, with Ed Richards being selected by 53.1% of voters. He takes his place from Bailey Dale, who this year managed only a solitary vote (2%) after a year affected by injuries and middling form.

Other contenders were Matt Suckling (7 votes, 14.3%), Bailey Williams (6, 12.2%), Toby McLean (4, 8.2%), Will Hayes (3, 6.1%), and Lin Jong (2, 4.1%). New recruit Rhylee West managed one vote.

We are now voting on the forward line. Please go to the new thread to vote:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/wb-bigfooty-consensus-best-22-2019-forwards.1211890/

How good is snatching potential father son's from other clubs...
First there was Dunkley - Sydney will rue the day he slipped through their grasp.
Now there's Vander Meer - Essendon will choke on their Burger and Beer the morning before a game letting Paul Vander Harr's kid get past them.

Then again we missed out on Dougy's kid Tom when Geelong stole him from us.

Back