WBBL|03 (Women's Big Bash League 2017-18)

Remove this Banner Ad

And now all out for 66, yowch, this has been a bit of a shocking start to the season for the Heat. Not that they've been bad before today, just didn't think they'd already be a couple games outside the top 4 at this point.

Buuut I suppose you never do know with the Etihad pitch, so a couple early wickets could still possibly maybe make this run chase interesting/disastrous.

Heat cruising against the Strikers at Adelaide Oval. Mooney just skied one but it fell in between two fielders, and now she brings up her 50.

Nice catch from Kirby Short earlier:

A crowd of 5,054--according to the ground announcer--turned out at Lilac Hill in Perth today. I don't know how it was counted but it certainly looked like a lively atmosphere and every good view of the action taken (but not by any of the cameramen, I can guarantee that).

The Sixers were poised to set a total of 160 until a late collapse limited it to 138. The Scorchers chased it down with 7 balls to spare, making it their second victory against the highly-fancied Sydney team this season. I wasn't predicting that, and it ought to make for an even tighter race to the finals for all but the struggling Stars and Hurricanes. Elyse Villani is the current leading run-scorer of WBBL3, but I wonder if she can keep it up because I've never seen her make a decent score without being dropped early in an innings.

Thunder doing it easy right now against Hobart in Launceston.

Barsby from the Heat today mixed between bowling her spin right handed and left handed
Seemed to land her right armers well then changed and bowled tripe on the left. Gimmick with no actual value.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Seemed to land her right armers well then changed and bowled tripe on the left. Gimmick with no actual value.

Yeah I don't get it either. Bowled an absolute pie first up left-armed and not like she bowls hand grenades with her right, would be better off solely practicing bowling with one arm like 99.9% of cricketers.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It's a pity ten isn't showing today's WBBL action considering the infrastructure is there for it

I think Aley has looked all over the shop this summer and her 0/39 today is probably a closer representation of her form than the 10 wickets she's already taken in the tournament. Her Sixers teammate Kapp has bowled much better for three less wickets, it is a funny game after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two fightbacks in each of the regular innings, kickstarted by key pieces of fielding near the boundary rope (one involving an uncharacteristic dropped catch from Erin Burns which helped Melbourne's captain and best batsman go on to score a run-a-ball 44, another featuring Maitlan Brown taking an absolute beauty to remove Sydney's captain and best batsman for 37), saw the Renegades claw their way over the line in a close and mostly enjoyable match at Kardinia Park today.

The match didn't end after the last ball of the 40th over today, instead it had to be concluded via a super over. This was as a result of very poor decision-making by specific members of all involved parties and frankly an act of shameful sportsmanship that I would put right down there among the worst ones in cricket: Batting team runs a single, fielding team returns the ball to the keeper, batsmen at both ends in their crease drop their heads and completely stop showing any intent to attempt a second run, fielding team celebrate (which included dropping the ball to the ground), batsmen suddenly decide to run again.

Suggesting the keeper needed to dislodge the bails in order for the ball to be considered dead (in that situation, or any other) is laughable. Commending the "smart and fast thinking" of the batsmen is on the same level of praising the initiative to bowl under-arm. Doesn't take a genius to come up with such a thought, but to decide against following through with it might take a modicum of class.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
I'm neither here nor there on it. On one hand they still had the opportunity to run when Inglis threw the ball into the air. On the other hand I always believed once the keeper had it in their gloves the ball was dead. Either way a Gades win was the right result.

Weird that the Sixers didn't try to take the third run to win the game, though. Stumps at the other end weren't broken, the next match hadn't started and the groundstaff hadn't put the covers on yet!

So when is the ball dead?
When it touches the keeper's gloves. Right team won in the end thankfully. If the Sixers had gotten up in the SO I would have lodged a protest if I were the Gades.

Another one gone down to the wire today. Bad loss for the Stars given the position they were in. Strikers were about 6/90 needing something like 40 off the last four overs. Just as we saw last night in Perth, an experienced quality wrist-spinner bowled a waist-high no ball at the wrong time and it changed the outlook/come of the game.

Tabatha Saville hit the winning boundary off the final delivery, and in the immediate aftermath she didn't seem to realise that she had just gotten her team over the line. The Stars unearthed the thing they needed most, besides a win, and that was some new young talent--Annabel Sutherland (of the Sutherland cricketing empire) took four wickets on debut.

At this stage of the tournament, all teams have played eight matches with six to go. Here's a quick summation of current standings, top performers and the road ahead:

1st: Sydney Thunder (6 wins, NRR +0.880)
Upcoming Schedule: @SIX, STR, STR, REN, @HEA, @HEA
Most runs: Rachael Haynes (299)
Most wickets: Stafanie Taylor (10)

2nd: Sydney Sixers (5 wins, NRR +1.229)
Upcoming Schedule: THU, HEA, HEA, @STA, STR, STR
Most runs: Ellyse Perry (370)
Most wickets: Dane van Niekerk (16)

3rd: Adelaide Strikers (5 wins, NRR +0.554)
Upcoming Schedule: SCO, SCO, @THU, @THU, @SIX, @SIX
Most runs: Suzie Bates (265)
Most wickets: Sophie Devine (11)

4th: Brisbane Heat (5 wins, NRR +0.399)
Upcoming Schedule: STA, STA, @SIX, @SIX, THU, THU
Most runs: Beth Mooney (319)
Most wickets: Jess Jonassen (10)

5th: Perth Scorchers (5 wins, NRR +0.272)
Upcoming Schedule: @STR, @STR, HUR, HUR, @REN, @REN
Most runs: Elyse Villani (355)
Most wickets: Katherine Brunt (11)

6th: Melbourne Renegades (4 wins, NRR +0.147)
Upcoming Schedule: @HUR, @HUR, @STA, @THU, SCO, SCO
Most runs: Amy Satterthwaite (215)
Most wickets: Lea Tahuhu (9)

7th: Melbourne Stars (2 wins, NRR -1.187)
Upcoming Schedule: @HEA, @HEA, REN, SIX, HUR, HUR
Most runs: Lizelle Lee (292)
Most wickets: Erin Osborne (7)

8th: Hobart Hurricanes (0 wins, NRR -2.329)
Upcoming Schedule: REN, REN, @ SCO, @ SCO, @STA, @STA
Most runs: Hayley Matthews (144)
Most wickets: Veronica Pyke (5)

Last edited:

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Do the umpires know the rules?

That run out - I think the ball hit the keeper's glove and the wicket at the same time (hit the glove and deflected the back off the glove onto the stumps) - and then deflected deeper into the glove. I think it should have been OUT.

Then, the batter had left the field of play while they were looking at the replay, so she should not have been recalled anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back