WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

The new WBBL season begins this weekend with double headers on Saturday and Sunday at the CitiPower Centre at St. Kilda.

On Saturday it's the Scorchers V Hurricanes at 10.40am followed by Stars V Sixers at 1.50pm
On Sunday it's the Strikers V Heat at 10.40am followed by Renegades V Thunder at 1.50pm.

All four games will be televised on 7mate.

Can anyone beat the Sixers or will the dynasty continue?

stillrealtome.jpg

it's still Junction Oval to me, dammit!

Looking at the changes of each full-strength squad from last summer, it makes for encouraging reading in terms of competition balance. 3 of the bottom 4 teams from WBBL|03 should definitely be better, and the Stars should improve too as long as they can get and keep a clean injury list asap. 3 of the top 4 teams all have outs which will be hard to cover (Scorchers more batting power, but without their spiritual bowling leader in Brunt), and if the Strikers are stronger like I expect then that's fine with me since they haven't made a final yet anyway.

Keen to see how Alex Hartley goes with the ball today for the Hurricanes, she's been good every time I've seen her but never seemed to be in England's World T20 mix.

EDIT: Actually, in my mind I erroneously lumped the Heat in with the top 4. Dottin out sucks for them, but they did have quite a few unlucky results last season so still expecting them to be a tough outfit to beat.

Last edited:
The momentum shifts in both games were almost a thing of beauty. No-balls aside, bowling plans were the decisive factors more so than execution. Hobart were in a good spot but lost direction in the field late, having Heather Knight out there would've been a big help. Second match: Lizelle Lee is a powerful batsman but not especially difficult to figure out, give her room to swing and you'll go the journey so the Sixers' tactics were a bit baffling to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They haven’t even tried to win.
I wouldn’t say they didn’t try, I thought the Strikers bowling was exceptional, and Mooney being below her normal standard didn’t help either.

The 2 games yesterday were pretty great to watch. The first one today was a bit rubbish. Not sure if Brisbane are total s**t or the Strikers' bowling was that good.

Also, I have a mad crush on Abbey Gelmi.

Heat's batting was fine, bowlers let them down with a lot of legside garbage and the Strikers didn't return the favour.

Satterthwaite... that's that bullshit I've been banging on about forever. I get wickets are tumbling around her but, sheesh, it'd be great if the experience could not throw their wickets away to nothing balls. Never mind, not a surprising turn of events without Wyatt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back