WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I said I hoped the Renegades wouldn't blow it. But really the game was Hobart's to lose after Fazackerley's 50 set them up, and there's definitely a psychological barrier they were dealing with too as cellar-dwellers.

Golden duck for Wyatt which happens to everyone, but few players are capable of saving the crucial runs in the outfield like she did. And then there's also the matter of Tahuhu's controversial dive on the boundary, which was also pretty important in the scheme of things.

Felt very comfortable with Strano bowling that last over, credit to Satterthwaite for getting her sums right there. Onya Gades Girls!

Yep Beth Mooney recaptured a bit of form from seasons past. A lot of it, actually. Pretty crazy how the Thunder didn’t seem to notice she was completely out of gas by about halfway through the innings, could’ve ran her out a couple times in the 90s alone if they threw the ball to her end.

That knock puts her on 407 runs for the season at a 126 strike rate (down from 144 last season), making it her fourth 400+ run WBBL campaign, which won’t be equalled for another 10 months or more.

Once again regional Queensland turned out in strong numbers for a standalone Heat home match, just their third of the season. Got themselves a really entertaining display of cricket on what looked like a beautiful Saturday night.

Was also happy to read this:

the Strikers making 6-140 off their 20 overs, with a late flurry from Wellington, seemed like they might win again, considering 138 was enough yesterday, but with no early wickets this time, and a superb batting performance from both Meg Lanning (70* off 48) and Amy Jones (70* off 52) chased down the total in 16.4 overs :O Both teams not making the finals, though.

The Renegades showed they could keep the Sixers to a gettable total of 2-136, but Perry (67* off 62) and Burns (53* off 37) really steadied the innings enough after the two quick wickets early and Tahuhu's excellent bowling spell of 0-7 off 4 overs.
Then the Renegades just couldn't keep their wickets when necessary and the Sixers bowled and fielded very well and they only made 8-107 in reply. Jess Duffin was notable in the fact that she was the only batter to really bat reasonably with 39 off 39.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, live it didn’t even look close, clearly missing leg. The biased commentator acting like it was a straight ball, not a clear wrong un

Was hardly a howler, they get 95% of them right in the WBBL the umpires have been very good this season

Ever seen the obligatory "Player of the Match" photos? They rarely seem to get used in reports or articles, surely because it's the same rotation of standouts holding up the placard like it's a mugshout. And thus the idea for my now customary commemorative WBBL Team of the Tournament poster was born.

04WBBLTeam1280.png

Explanations/justifications/apologies/honourable mentions: Heather Knight should probably be in the no.6 spot as a batting allrounder, but I wanted to give the second-place Thunder at least two selections. So in true ICC-playing-to-Indian-fans fashion, Harmanpreet gets in on the strength of her first half-dozen games and just overall style points--when going, probably the most watchable run-scorer only behind Lanning (who has now perfected both the straight-drive flamingo and short-arm flick over mid-wicket for six, while Damien Martyn should charge royalties for those elegant cuts from a metre outside leg she's showed off).

But on Kaur's fadeout, I think she simply looked like an athlete who has been on the road for a long time. Conversely, Stafanie Taylor appeared invigorated by getting away from home after the Windies' World T20 flop. True she moves like she's on holiday, but a productive holiday. I do, however, possess a need for speed and that's why leaving out Lea Tahuhu was tough (made easier by her lack of POTM awards this season, which admittedly didn't stop me from picking Kapp).

It really does take more courage to bowl fast in the women's game, but I'm satisfied with my nominated slow-medium girls because of the frequency they stood up when similar bowlers in the same game couldn't. This especially applies to Heather Graham, even if she takes her 22 wickets with a grain of salt considering runs with the bat will ultimately determine her prospects as a Southern Star.

That's all I got for now, see ya's on SSS (Sydney Semifinal Saturday)!

Can I offer a second solution and that would be Nicola Carey who has been brilliant
Problem is Carey's quite a similar player to Graham who I felt like I couldn't leave out, and I wanted the top 6 to be made up of players who contributed more with bat than ball.

Problem is Carey's quite a similar player to Graham who I felt like I couldn't leave out, and I wanted the top 6 to be made up of players who contributed more with bat than ball.

Yep as I said just an alternative. She’d be just outside my side too. Thunder probably have the most even spread to be honest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back