WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the pitch?

Was fine. Perry’s one kept low, bit unlucky but the rest of them jeez abysmal batting. It’s not a 200 pitch but 150-160 was fairly reasonable to expect. They were lucky to get 97! They were 6/31.

Was fine. Perry’s one kept low, bit unlucky but the rest of them jeez abysmal batting. It’s not a 200 pitch but 150-160 was fairly reasonable to expect. They were lucky to get 97! They were 6/31.
I agree, it was fine but not terrific. Not sure where you're getting 150-160 from though, Thunder went at 5.71rpo with plenty of incentive to score faster.

And the Sixers weren't lucky to get 98, they got there on the back of one level-headed partnership (as I mentioned in my edited post earlier).

I agree, it was fine but not terrific. Not sure where you're getting 150-160 from though, Thunder went at 5.71rpo with plenty of incentive to score faster.

And the Sixers weren't lucky to get 98, they got there on the back of one level-headed partnership (as I mentioned in my edited post earlier).

Wasn’t any incentive for the Thunder to go any faster. Thunder did that easy could have easily got 150 ish if needed. They won with 2.5 overs to go and they didn’t even try and score in the last few. 150 was about par.

Kappa should have been run out early on- made the most of our terrible fielding.

Wasn’t any incentive for the Thunder to go any faster. Thunder did that easy could have easily got 150 ish if needed. They won with 2.5 overs to go and they didn’t even try and score in the last few. 150 was about par.

Kappa should have been run out early on- made the most of our terrible fielding.
Maybe they just don't care about Net Run Rate then, or what position in the top 4 they finish.

The one with Vakarewa's fumble at the stumps? She was home safe anyway.

Maybe they just don't care about Net Run Rate then, or what position in the top 4 they finish.

The one with Vakarewa's fumble at the stumps? She was home safe anyway.

Blackwell I think it was (might have been Haynes as I get those two mixed up). Dreadful throw. Didn’t matter much in the end.

Not going to matter where we finish. Will come top 2 anyway

Gades keeping their destiny in their own hands, for the time being. Will surely have to pick up at least one win from the upcoming road trip to Heat and Thunder territory. Feels a bit of doomed inevitability about this campaign, similar to the men last season, enforced by confirmation Vlaeminck won't make it back for the remaining games.

Looking at the expectation-to-output for all the overseas players, I think Danni Wyatt has probably been the most underwhelming. Been good this Bash but has shown dominant form in T20I (crucially, on Australian soil too) and the Renegades need a lot more from her with the bat to be a threatening team, especially since she isn't bowling.

Thunder vs Stars today at 2pm AEDT should be a foregone conclusion, but I'm interested to see if any of the Stars batsmen gain some form in the 2nd half of the WBBL.

I wonder if the Perry XII vs the Lanning XII (not sure why it's 12 instead of 11, but whatever) is actually worth watching, but I'll probably put it on for a bit to check it out.

Heat v Strikers at 7:15pm AEDT I would expect to be a close game and I'm looking forward to that one :)

so Thunder v Stars was rained out after a couple of rain breaks and some enterprising hitting... some interesting weather at Blacktown haha. The Perry vs Lanning game was also rained out without a ball bowled.

I reckon the 7/160 the Heat have just made will be a winning score. Can't see the Strikers chasing that down. Grace Harris with 47 off 37 and Josie Dooley with 48 off 33 both batted excellently.

Although, in saying that, with Suzie Bates and Sophie Devine opening up, you never know what they can actually chase :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 games today...

Scorchers v Sixers (at 1pm AEDT) should be another Sixers win, based on paper, but it's possible for the Scorchers to take early wickets and be well in the game.

Thunder v Stars (at 2pm AEDT) will be reasonably close if the Stars can get their batting together, but otherwise the Thunder should win easily.

Heat v Renegades (at 4pm AEDT) will be a good quality match to watch, in terms of how close they are on paper. Looking forward to this one.

There's no way the Scorchers are going to chase 184 for victory after the Sixers posted a mammoth 2/183 with Perry making 80* off 54, Healy getting 44 off 30 with Gardner making 45 off 35. Solid hitting throughout the innings. It would take an epic chase from Lanning/Villani etc.

Last edited:
The Thunder have made 6-122 in their innings. They did well to make that much after losing consistent wickets throughout the innings. A solid 39* off 32 from Nicola Carey at the middle/end of the innings eeked the score up that high. Should be a close chase with the quality of the Thunder bowling line up and the inconsistent batting for the Stars.

Lanning is really motoring on 51 off 33 balls, but has lost 4 partners so far and the Scorchers have 4-81 off 10.4 overs, needing a further 103 to win in 9.2 overs... seems unlikely, but Lanning is certainly trying.

Looked like a good show of support from the locals in Mackay last night btw, as was the case in WBBL03 from memory.

Scorchers definitely with a pulse while the captain is out there. She was somewhat of an innocent bystander to two runouts, and has really punished the loose balls since. Earlier Lanning played and missed three beauties from Perry (at least two decked away from the bat considerably), flicked one off the body for six and was beaten by a couple more for pace--great battle between the two big dawgs, albeit too short but that's T20 for ya (although Pez may yet still come back for a 4th over).

Lanning did really well to make 76 from 51 balls, finally getting caught on the boundary which makes the 44 runs the Scorchers need with just two wickets left and 15 balls to go almost impossible

So; the Scorchers got bowled out 32 runs short (151) of the Sixers' mammoth total. Ellyse Perry a deserving BoG.

The Stars v Thunder game is looking to be a close one, but the Stars are again losing wickets when it really isn't a good time for it and have lost 5 wickets with 5 overs to go, neeindg 37 runs to win and having just survived a hat-trick chance.

ahh, the Stars batting failed predictably... such a shame in only falling 5 runs short of the Thunder score. The Thunder did bowl and field well, but the Stars just tended to get themselves out. Quality battle, nonetheless.

Nicola Carey a deserved BoG for the Thunder. Her 39* off 32 and 2 wickets for 22 runs from her 4 overs including bowling a couple of key overs were important to the result.

now that Mooney is out for 44 off 34 balls and Leah Tahuhu has ripped through the rest of the top 4, you'd expect that the Heat will struggle to chase down the 69 runs required for victory in the last 9 overs... although with Jonassen and Dooley there, they might still chase it down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back